Hold on just one damn minute...

I remember a hilarious news conference that Dave Berry held at the National Press Club about a week after Clinton's inauguration during which he constantly referenced "the failed Clinton Administration".

Well, he wasn't too far off considering the debacle that was the first couple years of said administration.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I flipped between Fox News and CNN. Brit Hume is the best lead guy on any of the channels and Juan Williams from NPR was excellent as an analyst.

I know Fox News gets ripped, but I really thought it had the fairest and best coverage of the night. The even better thing about it were they never took themselves too seriously. Again, I think the complaints about Fox News are more of a perception versus reality thing.

Agreed on the Fox News/Hume sentiments. They also seemed to be the most conservative in calling states. Williams was fighting the tears. Even Rove was pretty good and acknowledged the weight of the situation.

Who did everyone watch last night?

After flipping around every channel, I don't know how anyone can watch the networks. ABC and CBS were terrible. I doubt Charlie Gibson can operate a toaster, much less an interactive map. And how is anyone still taking Katie Couric seriously. I feel sorry for Bob Schieffer, who is 1000 times the journalist she ever will be.

Fox and NBC were okay, I guess, but I can't watch Shepard Smith. He just looks funny to me.

I flipped between Fox News and CNN. Brit Hume is the best lead guy on any of the channels and Juan Williams from NPR was excellent as an analyst.

I know Fox News gets ripped, but I really thought it had the fairest and best coverage of the night. The even better thing about it were they never took themselves too seriously. Again, I think the complaints about Fox News are more of a perception versus reality thing.

Mostly I paid attention to cnn.com. I usually prefer NBC, but their cyber studio was almost impossible to watch, plus no Tim Russert made them much less compelling. I must say that I enjoyed Morning Joe (Scarborough) on MSNBC this morning.

Are they recounting in MN? Coleman leads Franken by 570 votes!

Continuing my post from last night, though I voted for Obama, what in the hell is up with the AP not declaring GA for McCain yet?

Yahoo (AP) results

99% reporting, a commanding 240k lead that he has held since the early results started coming in, and they WILL NOT call it for McCain, even at 11 AM EST the next day.

WTF?

CNN and MSNBC have called it for McCain. Still waiting for NC, though.

Shorter version: Don't be Bush.

Don't be Bush...Don't be Clinton...Be Obama.

LouieB I've really enjoyed your take on things in the election threads. To anyone who feels you have been negative and wacko I suggest they read your posts.
Thanks for your vote of confidence, but I was supposed to be postive and magnanimous (even though it wasn't me running for President...)

Sour? You bet I
No, it isn't. Not when you use yours as a platform in your bid to become president. McCain made his character a major player in the election. It wasn't subjective.

if you say so

Agreed on the Fox News/Hume sentiments. They also seemed to be the most conservative in calling states. Williams was fighting the tears. Even Rove was pretty good and acknowledged the weight of the situation.

I was surprised by Rove's words and attitide. I almost liked him for a second, but I was a wee bit wasted by that time. I have to catch Fox's take on things, sorta addicted to it. I can't stomach Hannity though.

I am a MSNBC girl all the way. I love Rachel Maddow & Olbermann.

I think it's Fox News's pundit-heavy shows that give them the bad rap. Whenever Brit Hume is at the helm, I definitely think they have the most objective coverage. I mostly watched CNN and Fox News but as the night went on found myself more and more just watching Fox News.

side note: did you see when Rove did Hook 'em Horns and hummed part of the fight song!?

Yes.

I don't have cable or any of that crap, so I watched NBC and PBS. I like Jim Lehrer's crew. After a while PBS was getting too analytical. That was a good thing during the debates, but I was tired and I just wanted to see the numbers come in. NBC provided the numbers and it was the station that gets the best reception in my house, so they won.

Brit Hume is the worst person on television. EDIT: ok maybe that's rash, but he's beyond awful.

if you say so

Wait, you're going to tell me that the McCain POW stuff, the pre-2004 true maverick talk, etc., didn't speak directly to his character, that his campaign didn't try to use that to their advantage? Do you really believe that? Or are you just cranky this morning? Even the Obama campaign used "character" as a player in the election. It isn't subjective. Subjective is when I have an opinion about YOUR character (or lack thereof) based on what I know of you, not based on what you self-identify in your user profile or what you tell me over a few beers after wilco show. If i tell you, over those beers, that I am a person of high standards and that I only want to talk to people who have PhDs in economics and make over 500K a year because they're the only ones who know anything, oh and I don't talk to mexicans either because they're just wetbacks, doesn't that say something, quite loudly, about my character? How would that be subjective? I just told you what my character was all about!

Do you want me to write a letter to John Derbyshire?

I have to agree with you on your take on LouieB in the locked thread. I always feel like he's talking down to me. It's too bad, because I agree with him on most things.

Wait, you're going to tell me that the McCain POW stuff, the pre-2004 true maverick talk, etc., didn't speak directly to his character, that his campaign didn't try to use that to their advantage? Do you really believe that? Or are you just cranky this morning? Even the Obama campaign used "character" as a player in the election. It isn't subjective. Subjective is when I have an opinion about YOUR character (or lack thereof) based on what I know of you, not based on what you self-identify in your user profile or what you tell me over a few beers after wilco show. If i tell you, over those beers, that I am a person of high standards and that I only want to talk to people who have PhDs in economics and make over 500K a year because they're the only ones who know anything, oh and I don't talk to mexicans either because they're just wetbacks, doesn't that say something, quite loudly, about my character? How would that be subjective? I just told you what my character was all about!

Depends what kind of beer we're drinking.

my biggest beef w/ the media coverage...all of it...was their retreat to the safe place of 'OMG OUR NEW PRESIDENT IS BLACK'. it's historically relevant, exciting and as someone who's white, something i'll never be able to be as enthused about as someone of color. however...

the fact is that race, while a contributing factor via the votes he received, isn't the most impressive part of the story...it's the fact that he seemed to rise above his skin color and speak to everybody...or at least try to. he didn't make his campaign about race, but the fucking media turned it right back into that the minute they called it for him.