The joy of dog ownership

Walked into the kitchen about ten minutes ago and there was my dog, ON the stove, eating a thawing pizza dough. Needless to say, there will be no pizza at my place tonight. I wouldn't even know how to punish her, it was one of the funniest things I ever seen. I have to go clean my stove now, and the dog. :stunned

I don't own my dogs. poncho is a soccer maniac. his aerobatics are amazing. Samma can jump like an antelope better than any antelope on the plains. poncho did a number on about $200 in books as a puppy. Samma outdid him with my dad's coffee table and sofa though. that was something.

We came home once to find a dog (Sadie, who now lives "in the mountains") had opened the 'fridge and removed the large remainder of a 16 lb. turkey onto the floor. It was still in the pan and upright, too! She was just getting started on it when we busted her.

My old dog Viola Lee used to sneak off and swallow the kids' socks whole. The "move"was pretty amazing - I'd find those socks out in the yard all corkscrewed like a pig's tail. The damn things went all the way through her system and came out the other end in one piece. How could this happen?

One of my friends dogs wanted freedom one day, so she climbed up on his desk, pulled the window open with her teeth, ripped through the screen and jumped out, a 20-25 foot drop and I still see this dog running around energetically!

edit: not to mention this same dog was once hit by a van and has a metal plate in her hip now.

I just got a dog a week ago. She hasn't gtten up to much shenanigans yet, but she found a small dead snake in the road the other day while we were on a walk. We tried to divert her attention elsewhere, but she managed to rub her face all over it before we could get her to move along.

My 3 year old Olly is potty training and since we have a very large haus under construction her potty is in the living room. So I'm on VC ignoring the kid in another room while she takes a huge dump that smells like her father. I hear this lapping swishy swashy swooshy sound coming from that way. Olly Balls comes running in to brag about how Rocky ate her poop. :yucky A very fat and satisfied dapple dachsund strolls in licking her lips and smellin' like doo doo. Five minutes later my mind is lost in a beer and I give the dog a big smooch only to be met with 2nd hand doody. At least I didn't have to clean the potty chair.

She also steals beer.

23tibdk.jpg

1624cwl.jpg

There is no joy in dog ownership.

Dogs hate me.

I had a yellow lab that would absolutely destroy the house if left unattended and we tried to keep him in a cage and he literally chewed his way out of it. So we kept him in the back yard while we were gone. He had a really awesome dog house, food, water, toys, etc out there and he should have been a happy dog. It was also safe and there was no way he could get out of the yard.

It rained one day and being a big, active dog, he had our back yard pretty tore up and muddy. So I was already dreading coming home from work because I would have to give him a bath. Well, when I got home I found that he had knocked the (locked and held closed with a charlie bar) sliding door completely off the track and got into the house. He proceeded to get mud on absolutely everything. He also got into the garbage, and laid on, or I should say rolled around on, all of the beds and all of the furniture.

Bad dog.

My 3 year old Olly is potty training and since we have a very large haus under construction her potty is in the living room. So I'm on VC ignoring the kid in another room while she takes a huge dump that smells like her father. I hear this lapping swishy swashy swooshy sound coming from that way. Olly Balls comes running in to brag about how Rocky ate her poop. :yucky A very fat and satisfied dapple dachsund strolls in licking her lips and smellin' like doo doo. Five minutes later my mind is lost in a beer and I give the dog a big smooch only to be met with 2nd hand doody. At least I didn't have to clean the potty chair.

She also steals beer.

23tibdk.jpg

1624cwl.jpg

P@tM: That must have been some beer! There isn't a beer brewed that could make me forget the fact that my dog just ate my kid's poop! :yucky

Cheers!

Kevin

One day I came home to find our heavy cast iron frying pan upside down on the floor in front of the stove, and when I picked it up, there was no food anywhere. I called my husband to see what he might have been thinking, only to be told that he just made greek potatoes and left them in the pan on the back burner. The dog must have somehow gotten up on the counter and pulled the pan over to eat the potatoes, then licked the pan to knock it off the stove.

A few days later the dog ate 3 whole tomatoes from off the counter.

Needless to say we now secure our kitchen door.

My parents have a Cairn terrier named Lucy that used to eat her poo. They heard that sprinkling cayenne pepper on it would keep them from eating it. They did so and later found her barking at her spicy poo.

They also used to have a westie that would steal green tomatoes from the garden.

my dog maddie, a very clever border collie, is extremely good about food. i can put a plate of food on the coffee table and walk away and she will obediently sit staring at the plate, but never budge to get it. i brag about this stellar behavior.

one night i ordered chinese food, mixed vegetables and sweet and sour chicken. i ordered enough food so i would have left overs for lunch the next day. i am in the living room eating my dinner and get a phone call. i'm gabbing away and hear this loud thud in the kitchen/ dining area. i go in to investigate and there is maddie, standing, paws on the table head in the container of chicken. i scolded her (while suppressing my laughter) and she skulked out of the room, tail between her legs. she ate all but 3 pieces. so i put the last 3 pieces of chicken in her bowl and tell her she might as well eat those too. she slinked back in the kitchen and went up to her bowl hesitantly. then in a flash she scarfed down the chicken, tail still between her legs, but the very end of her tail was wagging away as fast as could be. i couldn't help but to laugh.

now whenever i get chinese she perks up and is not good about being non-intrusive while i eat.

i also knew a dog once that ate two carrot cakes off a kitchen counter in less than 1 minute flat.

my dog used to shit just a little inside of a doorway, so that you wouldn't have yet turned the light on in the dark room before having seen, and ultimately stepped in, his shit. such a little asshole.

he also used to sneak up on you if you were laying on your side on the floor and just take a chunk out of your side. again, such a little asshole.

there was certainly no joy in his last few years - blind and diabetic and just plain pathetic. but we weren't ready to see him go so we kept him around...

greatest dog i'll ever have though, for sure.

my dog used to shit just a little inside of a doorway, so that you wouldn't have yet turned the light on in the dark room before having seen, and ultimately stepped in, his shit. such a little asshole.

he also used to sneak up on you if you were laying on your side on the floor and just take a chunk out of your side. again, such a little asshole.

there was certainly no joy in his last few years - blind and diabetic and just plain pathetic. but we weren't ready to see him go so we kept him around...

greatest dog i'll ever have though, for sure.

Sounds like you had yourself a ninja-shit dog. :ninja

Originally bred by Japanese monks, these dogs became popular when GIs started bringing them back after WWII.

Kevin

My parents have a Cairn terrier named Lucy that used to eat her poo. They heard that sprinkling cayenne pepper on it would keep them from eating it. They did so and later found her barking at her spicy poo.

OK, I have to ask it.....if they took the time to sprinkle the poo with cayenne pepper, why didn't they just pick up the poo instead?

OK, I have to ask it.....if they took the time to sprinkle the poo with cayenne pepper, why didn't they just pick up the poo instead?

It was in the backyard and she would usually eat it fresh before anyone would notice it and pick it up (because eating dried dog shit is just gross). So they were trying to train her not to eat it.

one of the funniest things i've ever read. thanks.

It was in the backyard and she would usually eat it fresh before anyone would notice it and pick it up (because eating dried dog shit is just gross). So they were trying to train her not to eat it.

See, I knew there was a rational explanation, I just couldn't figure out what it was! (Cat person, here.)