The White Album

Kind of like Rainy Day Women?

Exactly.

I caught the very end of the Breakfast With The Beatles show on XM coming in, and they had the most curious thing - a cover of Revolution 9 by some outfit called The Shazam. Interesting - they took the sonic elements, reworked them a bit, threw in some new stuff, including a Twin Peaks-ish melody.
There's a pretty decent(!) cover of "Revolution 9" on an EP called Rev9 by a band called The Shazam.

They made it surprisingly musical.

edit: I have this CD, and just put "Revolution 9" up on the web for anyone who's interested:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/p9lrft

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Due to board regulations about linking to commercially available material, I am pretty sure I can't post direct links to where you can get the Purple Chick Beatles records in this thread. However, if you're looking for it shoot me a PM. Anthony and Junkiesmile, check your inboxes.

--Mike

Due to board regulations about linking to commercially available material, I am pretty sure I can't post direct links to where you can get the Purple Chick Beatles records in this thread. However, if you're looking for it shoot me a PM. Anthony and Junkiesmile, check your inboxes.

--Mike

Are the Purple Chick discs commercially available though? Don't they count as boots?

As always, Purple Chick discs are fan created and NEVER FOR SALE.

So, I'd think it's ok to post the links.

EDIT: but the main material is commercially available, so what do I know?

This is a page on Rolling Stone, that gives you the original CD version and the Purple Chick version of "And Your Bird Can Sing" to compare:

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/coverstory/20200609/page/20

Are the Purple Chick discs commercially available though? Don't they count as boots?

The Purple Chick discs are multiple disc sets based on every Beatles album in the same vein as the Pet Sounds sessions. While they have a lot of commercially unavailable outtakes on them, they are primarily made up of the original releases. I thought it was a little easier/safer just in case anyone took issue, particularly because EMI/Apple can be pretty uptight about the Fabs catalog (not that they have a representative on VC, but I have seen links to these yanked pretty frequently) to just handle it all via PM.

--Mike

The Purple Chick discs are multiple disc sets based on every Beatles album in the same vein as the Pet Sounds sessions. While they have a lot of commercially unavailable outtakes on them, they are primarily made up of the original releases. I thought it was a little easier/safer just in case anyone took issue, particularly because EMI/Apple can be pretty uptight about the Fabs catalog (not that they have a representative on VC, but I have seen links to these yanked pretty frequently) to just handle it all via PM.

--Mike

The guy is now putting out live sets of Beatles shows. Also, you can find these on public BT Trackers, and various Mp3 blogs.

"Martha My Dear"

"Honey Pie"

"I Will"

"Obladi-Oblada"

"Back In The USSR"

"Rocky Racoon"

"Why Don't We Do It In the Road"

"Blackbird"

"Mother Nature's Son"

"Helter Skelter"

What is wrong with any of those songs?

None is up to:

I Saw Her Standing There

Things We Said Today

She's a Woman

I'm Down

We Can Work It Out

You Won't See Me

I'm Looking Through You

Here, There & Everywhere

For No One

The Fool on the Hill

Hey Jude

Get Back

Let It Be

Two of Us

None is up to:

I Saw Her Standing There

Things We Said Today

She's a Woman

I'm Down

We Can Work It Out

You Won't See Me

I'm Looking Through You

Here, There & Everywhere

For No One

The Fool on the Hill

Hey Jude

Get Back

Let It Be

Two of Us

OK. So they aren't among the handful of greatest songs ever written. They are still all great songs.

OK. So they aren't among the handful of greatest songs ever written. They are still all great songs.

They're just "some fun" in my book, and relatively speaking, a disappointment. Somehow, his inspiration on the White Album was announcing his solo career.

Actually, the White Album is where the Beatles don't sound as much together as before.

His solo career produced more great songs than any of the other beatles'.

I never payed much attention to Paul's solo career. What are his great post-Beatles songs?

I know Maybe I'm Amazed, two or three Wings songs and a few terrible songs (Silly Love Songs, Ebony and Ivory), but that's about it.

Exactly.

edit: I have this CD, and just put "Revolution 9" up on the web for anyone who's interested:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/p9lrft

Thanks, man!

I never payed much attention to Paul's solo career. What are his great post-Beatles songs?

I know Maybe I'm Amazed, two or three Wings songs and a few terrible songs (Silly Love Songs, Ebony and Ivory), but that's about it.

Well, I like his solo career more than most, including "Silly Love Songs", so I'm probably the wrong person to ask. That said, go get Ram, McCartney, Band On The Run, Chaos and Creation in the Backyard, and a greatest hits collection.

Ram is probably his best album. "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey" is splendid (could have been on Abbey Road). The opener "Too Many People" is great too.

And of course "Live and Let Die" is a classic.

Well, I like his solo career more than most, including "Silly Love Songs", so I'm probably the wrong person to ask. That said, go get Ram, McCartney, Band On The Run, Chaos and Creation in the Backyard, and a greatest hits collection.

I thought Flaming Pie was a really good one.