REM Murmurs Deluxe Edition!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(start annoying condescension)

I was there at Larry's hideaway and then rest of you were not

(end annoying condescension)

Yeah can't wait to get this. If I'm remembering correctly the live recording came from CFNY for re-broadcast and they ran out of tape/some other technical fuck up about an hour in.

Don't know if the cd fixes it or came from a parallel source, but it was a very good show. RIP Larry's Hideaway - the grimiest shit hole of a rock club in the world.

What would you rank ahead of Murmur?

I won't say which albums are better but I listen to other albums by them much more than Murmur. Once could argue that they are in the same range - Life's Rich Pageant, Reckoning, Document, New Adventures

I also wanted to use this opportunity to say again that I really like Accelerate.

I won't say which albums are better but I listen to other albums by them much more than Murmur. Once could argue that they are in the same range - Life's Rich Pageant, Reckoning, Document, New Adventures

I also wanted to use this opportunity to say again that I really like Accelerate.

Accelerate is great! I agree!

What would you rank ahead of Murmur?

Fables of the Reconstruction, Life's Rich Pageant, New Adventures in Hi-Fi

personal subjectivity, I know . . .

I also think Accelerate is a great "comeback" rocker, but I would not rank it ahead

This is great. Looking forward to hearing it. My vinyl copy is actually hanging on the wall in a frame as I don't do much vinyl anymore since my needle died. Plus it probably sounds like rice krispies at this point.

I also think Accelerate is a great "comeback" rocker, but I would not rank it ahead

I agree with you on Lifes Rich Pageant. I would put Murmur and Fables at #2 and #3 (though I'd have a hard time deciding which one occupied each slot), followed closely by Reckoning, and then probably Document.

Then (in my opinion) there's a large gap before everything else shows up in the rankings, but of course I'm one of those old guys who thought they were never as good after they jumped to a major label. :stunned

I agree with you on Lifes Rich Pageant. I would put Murmur and Fables at #2 and #3 (though I'd have a hard time deciding which one occupied each slot), followed closely by Reckoning, and then probably Document.

Then (in my opinion) there's a large gap before everything else shows up in the rankings, but of course I'm one of those old guys who thought they were never as good after they jumped to a major label. :stunned

Me too, with the exception of Out Of Time, which I like quite a bit.

I can't wait to pick this up -- there are so many subtleties on the Murmur album that are hidden by the previous production.

And as I've said before in the other REM thread, New Adventures is by far the most-underrated REM album in the catalogue. It's easily top 5 (in no order: Murmur, New Adventures, Lifes Rich Pageant, Document, and Automatic).

Okay, ranks?

Reckoning

Murmur

Life's Rich Pageant

Fables Of the Reconstruction

Out Of Time

I can't wait to pick this up -- there are so many subtleties on the Murmur album that are hidden by the previous production.

And as I've said before in the other REM thread, New Adventures is by far the most-underrated REM album in the catalogue. It's easily top 5 (in no order: Murmur, New Adventures, Lifes Rich Pageant, Document, and Automatic).

what he said.

I agree with all of the above EXCEPT for Fables. It has some of my favorite R.E.M. songs ("Driver 8", "Live and How To Live It"), but that second half DRAGS... I have a strange soft spot for Green, however. :music

Nobody puts Chronic Town on the list? Or does that not count because it's an EP? I love every song on there.

You know what would have been a good EP? The first (good) half of Reckoning

While I have enjoyed this thread (and would add Chronic Town right along side Murmur, Reckoning, Fables, to any list of what they did best), we should be clear. Accelerate blows. Its fake rock by a band that has long since lost its way. They need to hang 'em up before they do any further damage to their ever dwindling reputation. I mean seriously, did anyone who managed to listen to Accelerate even once, ever listen to it a second time.