REM Murmurs Deluxe Edition!

While I have enjoyed this thread (and would add Chronic Town right along side Murmur, Reckoning, Fables, to any list of what they did best), we should be clear. Accelerate blows. Its fake rock by a band that has long since lost its way. They need to hang 'em up before they do any further damage to their ever dwindling reputation. I mean seriously, did anyone who managed to listen to Accelerate even once, ever listen to it a second time.

I did. Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy it. Awesome opinion though.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I have enjoyed this thread (and would add Chronic Town right along side Murmur, Reckoning, Fables, to any list of what they did best), we should be clear. Accelerate blows. Its fake rock by a band that has long since lost its way. They need to hang 'em up before they do any further damage to their ever dwindling reputation. I mean seriously, did anyone who managed to listen to Accelerate even once, ever listen to it a second time.

I listened to it a second, third, fourth fifth time...you get the picture!

I agree with you on Lifes Rich Pageant. I would put Murmur and Fables at #2 and #3 (though I'd have a hard time deciding which one occupied each slot), followed closely by Reckoning, and then probably Document.

Then (in my opinion) there's a large gap before everything else shows up in the rankings, but of course I'm one of those old guys who thought they were never as good after they jumped to a major label. :stunned

Yeah. I like to pretend they stopped making records in 1988 or so.

Yeah. I like to pretend they stopped making records in 1988 or so.

Same here. I really loved AFTP for a long time, but it has not aged well. There are great tunes on it for sure, but I mean - can anyone really still listen to 'Everybody Hurts'?

For me my favorites have always been Murmur/Reckoning. They were both exciting and mysterious and so far out of the mainstream at the time that they really stood out. Great great stuff. After that it all varies for me depending on my current mood. Based on my mood right now I would take my order on them to be:

Murmur/Reconking

New Adventures

Document

Lifes Rich Pagent

Out of Time

Automatic

Green

Fables

Monster

Up

Accelerate

Reveal

Around the Sun

Fables is getting a lot of love here, but I never have warmed up to it. I know it has some great songs on it and that lots of people love it, but for me it never made much of an impression. It always seemed more like a collection of songs brought in from different directions rather than a single coherent body of work.

Been listening to the re-issue for about a week. While "Murmur" isn't my favourite REM album it might the most interesting one to listen to it. All the sound affects (like the slowed down pool balls on "We Walk") and the arrangements of songs like "Perfect Circle" and "Pilgrimage" are really cool. The live album is really fun sounding like an enhanced soundboard recording. I think they should have picked the Boston show from the same period which gave us stellar versions of "Ages of You", "1,000,000" and "We Walk" for the IRS double-comp from two years ago but it's still a great statement of what the band sounded like live in 1983. I'd love to see them re-issue all the IRS albums with a live disc tagged on.

I like "Accelerate" a lot. It's a breath of fresh air after the truly awful "Around The Sun". I saw them live for the first time in nearly two decades this year and they put on a really fun, rocking show. All in all they've put out more good music than just about any other band of their era. But I always come back to the first 4 albums and "Chronic Town". There was something so intriguing and cool about early REM. I still love songs like "Harborcoat", "Sitting Still" and "Wolves, Lower" and seemed to have enjoyed them more throughout the years for having no idea what they are about.

I think they should have picked the Boston show from the same period which gave us stellar versions of "Ages of You", "1,000,000" and "We Walk"

One great moment from that Boston show is when one of them (Stipe, I think) says "We'd like to thank the opening act, the Replacements."

For me my favorites have always been Murmur/Reckoning. They were both exciting and mysterious and so far out of the mainstream at the time that they really stood out. Great great stuff. After that it all varies for me depending on my current mood. Based on my mood right now I would take my order on them to be:

Murmur/Reconking

New Adventures

Document

Lifes Rich Pagent

Out of Time

Automatic

Green

Fables

Monster

Up

Accelerate

Reveal

Around the Sun

Fables is getting a lot of love here, but I never have warmed up to it. I know it has some great songs on it and that lots of people love it, but for me it never made much of an impression. It always seemed more like a collection of songs brought in from different directions rather than a single coherent body of work.

Not to pounce on REM too much (especially since I lived for them in college and have listened to Murmur and Reckoning more than any two records that have ever been released by any artist) but look at the above list for a second. Up, Reveal, Around the Sun, Green, Monster. These records are completely uninteresting and completely forgettable. Their shelf life when they were released was minimal. Now its zero. I defy anyone to sit through any of these records start to finish. Add to that that Out of Time, Automatic, and New Adventures while real solid when released have lost much luster and have not aged well to paraphrase another poster. New Adventures though does remain mysterious, if uneven.

They were a monumental, genre shaking, enigmatic band of genius for a while, but they are done I am saddened to say. Just my opinion of course, but great bands should be held to a high standard, and REM hasn't been there for more than a decade at this point. Now that that is off my chest, its on to the 3,000th playing of Harborcoat...............

There's a concert I would like to see! REM and the Replacements, preferably back in the 80's. I think I would rather have The Replacements headline though.

The Replacements were kind of hit-or-miss live. When I saw them in 1987, they SUCKED until about three-quarters of the way through the show. Then they became one of the awesomest things ever.

The Replacements were kind of hit-or-miss live. When I saw them in 1987, they SUCKED until about three-quarters of the way through the show. Then they became one of the awesomest things ever.

This response is veering off-topic, but that's a pretty good description of many Dead shows that I saw.

my list :

lifes rich pagent

dead letter office

fables of the reconstruction

document

new adventures

murmur

up

green

out of time

automatic

monster

every thing else is trash and if you do not believe that you are really fooling yourself.

You think RECKONING is trash?! I think you are fooling yourself :stunned

Not to pounce on REM too much (especially since I lived for them in college and have listened to Murmur and Reckoning more than any two records that have ever been released by any artist) but look at the above list for a second. Up, Reveal, Around the Sun, Green, Monster. These records are completely uninteresting and completely forgettable. Their shelf life when they were released was minimal. Now its zero. I defy anyone to sit through any of these records start to finish. Add to that that Out of Time, Automatic, and New Adventures while real solid when released have lost much luster and have not aged well to paraphrase another poster. New Adventures though does remain mysterious, if uneven.

They were a monumental, genre shaking, enigmatic band of genius for a while, but they are done I am saddened to say. Just my opinion of course, but great bands should be held to a high standard, and REM hasn't been there for more than a decade at this point. Now that that is off my chest, its on to the 3,000th playing of Harborcoat...............

Sure it is all opinions but I think UP is one of REM's most interesting albums! I am not sure I understand where Green is also uninteresting. I have listen to that album straight through numerous times. Reveal and Around the sun did lack but also did have many beautful songs. I often wonder the many people who do not like these albums if they gave them a real genuwine try. Maybe they listened to it once and decided it is not for them and moved on. I personally try and give every album in my collection at least 3 full spin throughs before I make a judgement on an album.

Am I the only person scared at the prospect of this album being "remastered"? I think the production of early R.E.M. is almost a member of the band. I am a HUGE fan of the early years and can't bring myself to buy this.

just download it and listen to it before you buy. the production is still intact and it sounds A LOT better.

-justin