"Jeff Tweedy" reviews U2's Achtung Baby

This is a user review Tweedy wrote on Itunes. I couldn't decide where to put this because it's sort of about both Wilco and U2. I love both bands and find it kind of surprising but in a way not that surprising that Tweedy loves U2 so much. Anyway, thought it would spark some discussion.

"What can I say? In all my life I have never "bonded" with an album anywhere close to the way I did with Achtung Baby. I've listened to it well over a hundred times. I grew up on it...I've gone from loving it to hating it. It's practically a member of my family. The point is, this is *my* album. Never before and never again will I have a this kind of relationship with an album. Sometimes I think the album was conceived as an elaborate, drug-infused dream. Other times I think it's an entirely personal and emotional album. Even other times, it's just a cool rock album. While this may tell you more about me and the album than the album itself, that's precisely the point. This is an album that's meant to creep its way into your life, and stay there.

Zoo Station, One, So Cruel, Ultraviolet, and most of all, Acrobat are among U2's best. Or any band's best for that matter. It's unfortunate to see such an incredible band getting such a big recent backlash in the media. The average 19-year-old indie hipster doesn't know U2 existed before "Beautiful Day." Or, more accurately, doesn't care. After all, Achtung Baby didn't make Pitchfork's top 100, so how great can it really be?"

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moving past the snowballinhell chance that this is Jeff Tweedy - the reviewer says "What can I say? In all my life I have never "bonded" with an album anywhere close to the way I did with Achtung Baby. I've listened to it well over a hundred times."

I've listened to albums I'm 'meh' about well over a hundred times.

I would imagine so. There is probably more than one Jeff Tweedy in the world.

No. Does any of it sound like something you've read him say in interviews? Does he even like U2? They purportedly changed Spiders because it sounded too much like U2. Since when does he bash hipsters, pitchfork, or 19 year-olds? This review was written by a run-of-the-mill internet poster.

Signed,

A dude who actually did grow up on Achtung Baby.

Why do you think Tweedy even uses iTunes :lol

Though I do agree with the Acrobat thing. And while I didn't quite grow up on it (I was 31 when it was released) I have also listened to it over 100 times and is neck and neck with The Unforgettable Fire as my fav U2 record.

guys, sorry i've been absent today, but the craziest thing happened. jeff tweedy just strolled into my house today and has been critiquing everything from the way i made a sandwich at lunch to how my kids were playing w/ their matchbox cars. it was cool at first, but it's gotten annoying and he won't leave.

that post sucked. (this is tweedy)

Agreed. I don't know anyone our age who doesn't think that it was the beginning of the

down slope for U2.

I thought that was "Rattle and Hum". But I'm old.