"Jeff Tweedy" reviews U2's Achtung Baby

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i LOVE Achtung Baby, and while I don't think that post was written by Jeff, I wouldn't put it past him to love this album. IMO, it is a masterpiece created not only by U2, but by Eno and Lanois (two of the most talented and respected producers of our time). Beautiful production, timeless melodies and interesting sonic landscape... I grew up on it and it was and remains one of my all time favorites - one of the few I can listen to start to finish time and again.

and on a semi-related note: i caught Daniel Lanois live last week and I have to say it was one of the best shows I've ever seen. followed it up with a viewing of his new DVD "This Is What Is" - amazing. like his music, the DVD is more atmospheric than plot-driven, but I would recommend it to any musician or fan of the creative process :)

apparently, i'm responisble for the little superstar video...who knew, but awesome. looks like you've still got the market cornered on creepy, well done!

I recall you making it your sig, avatar, or somesuch. You just couldn't get enough of that little guy. :thumbup

You guys should probably just do it.

It would probably relieve some of the pent up tension and awkwardness.

You guys should probably just do it.

It would probably relieve some of the pent up tension and awkwardness.

If nothing else, I'm glad to see so many fans of Achtung Baby. After REM made a relative comeback with Accelerate (that is, relative to Around the Sun...blahh), I'd really like to see U2's upcoming release turn out better.

Just today while on the bus, I was thinking how there doesn't seem to be much space left for bands like U2 & REM. By that, I mean bands that were simultaneously considered "the most popular band in the world" and critically adored. The only band that comes close to that now I'd say is Radiohead--but they certainly don't embrace (and usually try to subvert) their popularity. And they're more of a band that the average Joe has heard of, but likely never heard.

I don't really know if such "superbands" will ever exist again. I'm certainly not talking about the quality of the band--I still have Wilco. I just don't see how one single band can obtain a popularity monopoly like they did with sources like youtube, Pitchfork, and torrents serving to level out the playing field.

I know this is a partially flawed argument--after all, there are still Hannah Montana's. I just don't see it happening with a band that can match their popularity with quality. Right now, I actually find Wilco to be the best balance of the two, and we all know how popular Wilco is. Am I the only one who get's this feeling?

If nothing else, I'm glad to see so many fans of Achtung Baby. After REM made a relative comeback with Accelerate (that is, relative to Around the Sun...blahh), I'd really like to see U2's upcoming release turn out better.

Just today while on the bus, I was thinking how there doesn't seem to be much space left for bands like U2 & REM. By that, I mean bands that were simultaneously considered "the most popular band in the world" and critically adored. The only band that comes close to that now I'd say is Radiohead--but they certainly don't embrace (and usually try to subvert) their popularity. And they're more of a band that the average Joe has heard of, but likely never heard.

I don't really know if such "superbands" will ever exist again. I'm certainly not talking about the quality of the band--I still have Wilco. I just don't see how one single band can obtain a popularity monopoly like they did with sources like youtube, Pitchfork, and torrents serving to level out the playing field.

I know this is a partially flawed argument--after all, there are still Hannah Montana's. I just don't see it happening with a band that can match their popularity with quality. Right now, I actually find Wilco to be the best balance of the two, and we all know how popular Wilco is. Am I the only one who get's this feeling?

You're exactly right. Unless technology changes as much as it has in the past 15 years in a totally different direction we will be further isolated into our own subgroups in terms of music, politics, art, literature, etc. There are both upsides (more creative freedom) and downsides (the ONLY huge sellers will appeal to the absolute zero common denominator).

Welcome to VC, BTW!

That is hilarious.

When Achtung Baby came out, Jeff and Jay were practicing Black Eye. I just can't see that album having a huge hold on Jeff's mind during that time, or since.