The Gaslight Anthem - '59 Sound

61ib6F-fq0L.jpg

Friend of mine who is a HUGE Springsteen fan turned me onto these guys last month. I'll admit i was a bit skeptical of all the blatant Springsteen-isms throughout the record, but once I got over that I was fully on board with these guys. We drove way out in the 'burbs last Tuesday to see them play a blistering 25 minute set opening for 3 shitty emo/mall punk bands (ok, Alkaline Trio were good at one time) and I was blown away by how tight they were for such a young band. I can easily see them opening for a much larger act next summer (hopefully they ditch the Warped Tour circuit bands soon).

It's rare that I agree with Pitchfork fully on an album, and i'm not only surprised at how glowing of a review it is (8.6), but also that they reviewed it at all actually.

This is my favorite part, the last paragraph of the review:

And then there's that title track. It's a sort of meditation on a dead friend, Fallon imagining what might've gone through his head in the final moments: "I wonder, were you scared when the metal hit the glass?" He wonders if the dead guy got to hear his favorite song on his way to whatever afterlife he might be headed toward. And then, as the song gets ready to end, there's this flattening bridge where Fallon repeats, almost to himself, over and over, "Young boys, young girls, ain't supposed to die on a Saturday night." It's simple, it's sincere, and it kills me every time.

Apparently the band is about to sign a record deal, which is great as the album is a bit hard to find in stores at the moment (just order the vinyl online, was like $15.99 shipped). Their debut record and their EP's are quite good as well. There's another EP under the band name 'This Charming Man', which they were called previously, that's good, but a bit rougher/darker sound.

Judging from the tastes in Now Playing, i'm guessing a good portion of Via will dig this record/band. It's probably the last album I hear this year that'll crack my top 10 i'm guessing. It's just 100% sincere rock music about girls, guitars, & cars played extremely well. It's textbook Rock 101, but man i love it :).

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

61ib6F-fq0L.jpg

Friend of mine who is a HUGE Springsteen fan turned me onto these guys last month. I'll admit i was a bit skeptical of all the blatant Springsteen-isms throughout the record, but once I got over that I was fully on board with these guys. We drove way out in the 'burbs last Tuesday to see them play a blistering 25 minute set opening for 3 shitty emo/mall punk bands (ok, Alkaline Trio were good at one time) and I was blown away by how tight they were for such a young band. I can easily see them opening for a much larger act next summer (hopefully they ditch the Warped Tour circuit bands soon).

It's rare that I agree with Pitchfork fully on an album, and i'm not only surprised at how glowing of a review it is (8.6), but also that they reviewed it at all actually.

This is my favorite part, the last paragraph of the review:

Apparently the band is about to sign a record deal, which is great as the album is a bit hard to find in stores at the moment (just order the vinyl online, was like $15.99 shipped). Their debut record and their EP's are quite good as well. There's another EP under the band name 'This Charming Man', which they were called previously, that's good, but a bit rougher/darker sound.

Judging from the tastes in Now Playing, i'm guessing a good portion of Via will dig this record/band. It's probably the last album I hear this year that'll crack my top 10 i'm guessing. It's just 100% sincere rock music about girls, guitars, & cars played extremely well. It's textbook Rock 101, but man i love it :).

yo, me & a few other people were telling you about them this summer!

yo, me & a few other people were telling you about them this summer!

sometimes you have to just keep asking me over and over for things to sink in my head (just ask my wife :lol) ;)

actually i know, i definitely recall hearing the name for a few months before I ever bothered to check them out from various folks. i was a bit slow on the uptake on a lot of records between July & September with the new house crap. i've been playing catch up the last 2 months :thumbup

I just picked this up for the weekend holiday drive after reading this thread too. Glad I did. Catchy and doesn't overstay it's welcome

Another thanks to the VC board for pointing this one out. Have been enjoying this for the past week or so. Really good stuff.

That's one of the reasons I love this place.

In the last 18 months I have been turned on to:

Band of Horses

The Hold Steady

Ray Lamontagne

TV on the Radio

and now

Gaslight Anthem

Thanks folks!!!

kinda like the Killers... nothing special ;)

honestly don't really hear The Killers at all (have you heard their abysmal new album? it sounds like Hall & Oats)

not saying these guys are re-inventing the wheel or are amazing (yet)... it's just no frills textbook rock played extremely well, which i realize is boring to some

it's very American music, i'll give you that, but i'd argue this album is way more interesting, exciting and sincere than the latest Kings of Leon, yet they get way more press (especially outside of the US)

for their age (mid 20's) they have a lot of promise imo.

will prolly sneak into my top 10, if not it'll be very close.