Only heard Wild Mountain Nation but it's been a while and don't remember much of it...so I guess that's a not really.

What are the other good songs? I'll go back and listen to those. If I gave it another chance I may like it more but I was so turned off by my first few listens that I've never really gone back to it, other than Furr.

I hear ya, Jay. I think this record was a grower...I didn't like it much at first, either, but give it another few spins and see what you think.

I think "God & Suicide" "Black River Killer" and "Not Your Lover" are the other standout tracks.

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it took me about a month to fully get into Furr, but once it sunk it's teeth in, they never let go! :o

and yeah, tangara nailed it... those 3 are amazing, as is the opening track imo (Sleepytime In The Western World), totally reminds me of Grandaddy. I also really love the last 2 tracks a lot. only song i don't fully love is Love U

So Pitchfork, after having Panda Bear as the #1 album of 2007, has followed that up by naming Fleet Foxes the #1 album of 2008. I guess if I'm to be considered cool by the hipsters-that-be I'll have to crank my reverb up to interminable levels.

Have you noticed that modern bands with a significant Brian Wilson/Beach Boys' influence usually always are highly rated on Pitchfork?

It confuses me that Dr Dog - one of the moderns that sounds authentically pretty much like The Beatles/Beach Boys - that they dump on them.

In truth, no one really likes hippies.

You know the one 2008 album I just don't get is the Gaslight Anthem album. The singer reminds me of the Old 97's to me. Please help me understand.

hmm... i've never been a big big Old 97's fan, but from the stuff i've heard and of Rhett's solo work, can't say i find them very similiar vocally.

but i do know tons of folks who swear by the '97's, so what do i know?

as for the album... it's just meat & potatos rock n roll, no frills, no glam, etc. kinda like the Replacements were.

sure TGA wear their influences on their sleeve, but i think that they do what they do quite well, if you dig that sorta thing. they're a much better live band though i think.

hmm... i've never been a big big Old 97's fan, but from the stuff i've heard and of Rhett's solo work, can't say i find them very similiar vocally.

but i do know tons of folks who swear by the '97's, so what do i know?

I dunno....the first track really does sound like Rhett to me. I agree with the meat and potatoes statement about their sound is just kind of bland to me - nothing to get excited about. Maybe they put some more excitement in their live action but the album sounds pretty flat to my ears and it seems to travel roads that have been traveled before. I guess if I want to listen to the Replacements, I'll listen to the Replacements.

I do love Furr but have not checked out the rest of the album. I absolutely love that song so it's depressing to hear the rest of them don't hold up. Sniff, sniff, sniff... I smell Patchouli.

I dunno....the first track really does sound like Rhett to me. I agree with the meat and potatoes statement about their sound is just kind of bland to me - nothing to get excited about. Maybe they put some more excitement in their live action but the album sounds pretty flat to my ears and it seems to travel roads that have been traveled before. I guess if I want to listen to the Replacements, I'll listen to the Replacements.

it's just nice to hear a band of early 20-somethings with good taste vs. the usual emo-tinged bullshit imo :)

as for "nothing to get excited about", y'know i thought this the first month i listened to the record, but after a couple months and seeing them live, i totally disagree, they are a pretty exciting young band (their debut is very solid too)

I do love Furr but have not checked out the rest of the album. I absolutely love that song so it's depressing to hear the rest of them don't hold up. Sniff, sniff, sniff... I smell Patchouli.

thing is, i think the rest does hold up.

sure Furr is an amazing song, but if you're looking for more Shins-esque acoustic numbers like that, then i can see how someone might be disappointed in the rest of the record...

I'm not sure I agree with the Rhett Miller comparison, but I think the rest of your assessment is spot on.

As far as their youth, I think there are a lot of young bands that are putting out good music these days, everyone from Fleet Foxes to Vampire Weekend. Sure, you could argue those bands also wear their influences on their sleeves, but I think they're doing something interesting and different with those influences and making them their own. To my ears, Gaslight Anthem is just regurgitating those same old sounds.

I'm not sure I agree with the Rhett Miller comparison, but I think the rest of your assessment is spot on.

As far as their youth, I think there are a lot of young bands that are putting out good music these days, everyone from Fleet Foxes to Vampire Weekend. Sure, you could argue those bands also wear their influences on their sleeves, but I think they're doing something interesting and different with those influences and making them their own. To my ears, Gaslight Anthem is just regurgitating those same old sounds.

fair enough... i like Fleet Foxes & Vampire Weekend a lot too...

that said, i'll good music over "interesting" for the sake of being interesting any day ;). plenty of bands Pitchfork lauds are "interesting", doesn't mean i think their music is any good.

TGA remind me a lot of Marah... nothing that band did was very original whatsoever, but i still loved the hell out of them (mostly live). or even The Drive-By Truckers... again, nothing original whatsoever (maybe less in fact than TGA), but damn if that band doesn't kick my ass.

i think that's the thing w/ TGA... they've made 2 really solid albums so far, but i think they've got the potential for pretty great things on down the line, and kinda shocked me with how tight they are for not having been around too long.

I don't think I'd say '59 Sound is the "best" album of 2008, but it's probably my favorite in the sense that I listened to it more than any other, and still can't put it away. It's an album that means something to me. Also, I think the comparison to Marah makes a lot of sense.

• 2 weeks later...

I know it's already February, but what can I say...I like to be thorough.

1. Why? - Alopecia

2. Wolf Parade - At Mount Zoomer

3. TV on the Radio - Dear Science

4. School of Language - Sea From Shore

5. Aimee Mann - @#%&*! Smilers

6. Okkervil River - The Stand Ins

7. Beck - Modern Guilt

8. Destroyer - Trouble in Dreams

9. The Hold Steady - Stay Positive

10. Deerhunter - Microcastle

11. Spiritualized - Songs in A&E

12. The Dodos - Visiter

13. Shearwater - Rook

14. Marnie Stern - This Is It and I Am It...

15. Girl Talk - Feed the Animals

16. The Kills - Midnight Boom

17. Sigur Ros - Me