Since no one's mentioned them.....

I've come back to Marah's Angels several times, and Gary Louris' Vagabonds is in rotation quite often.

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, seriously, I have great taste in music. My sense of humor is also superior to yours.

This scans, at least based on the evidence presented in this thread.

A lot of folks are mentioning Vampire Weekend, and now I'm wondering if I should have included them on my list. No two ways around it, those kids know their way around a song, but I played their album in such heavy rotation that it just kind of grates on me now. Still, they deserve at least an honourable mention.

No, seriously, I have great taste in music. My sense of humor is also superior to yours.

classic! :lol

i'll try and compile something to add to this list in december. suffice to say i've dug the releases from black francis, beck, giant panda, sloan, M83, foals, black keys, bob mould and helio sequence...plus this new westy is pretty tasty at first listen.

anybody who feels compelled to brag that he has good taste in music never does

(I also have a great sense of humor)

If you advertise this, someone might test it.

Bon Iver was released last year, and I believe re-released this year on a bigger label. Vampire Weekend leaked in December and came out officially in January. By March, hipster backlash already started.

--Mike

Bon Iver was released last year, and I believe re-released this year on a bigger label. Vampire Weekend leaked in December and came out officially in January. By March, hipster backlash already started.

--Mike

Are you kidding? I was hearing hipster backlash before it came out...

weird how almost everybody on this board is so in love with the same stuff - bon iver, raconteurs, fleet foxes, dr. dog, my morning jacket, drive by truckers ...

i can't stand any of those

and the REM and vampire weekend records? seriously?

the best things i've heard so far in 2008 are the british sea power, the alejandro, albert hammond and matt keating's quixotic, which is at the top of the heap

you're just THAT much cooler than all of us apparently.

Evil Urges gets better with every listen... I believe this was brought up before though, but these songs are fucking unreal live. Seeing the band once, will convert everyone into believers. RCMH just blew me away. Can't wait for MSG. Hopefully 5 solid hours of the Jacket!!

That said, it's not my favorite album of 08.

1. The Dodos -- Visiter
  2. Plants and Animals -- Parc Avenue
  3. Miles Benjamin Anthony Robinson -- s/t
  4. Liam Finn -- I'll Be Lightning
  5. My Morning Jacket -- Evil Urges
  6. Vampire Weekend -- s/t
  7. The Black Keys -- Attack & Release
  8. Fleet Foxes -- s/t
  9. REM -- Accelerate
  10. Elvis Costello and the Destroyers -- Momofuku

still released to come from Kings of Leon, Cold War Kids, among others...gonna be a great year. A Wilco DVD would be nice :cheers

Well, not to offend Hardwood Floor's tastes, but personally, I don't think Matt Keating is a big deal.

I know two albums of him, the two released before the new one, and they're just okay.

Now so far I really didn't find anything extraordinary this year. Bad luck, I guess.

But Sam Phillips' Don't Do Anything is really good.

I remember someone from here saying that the guys in Vampire Weekend sounded barely passable when the album came out, but man, listening to it and seeing them live a couple of times, I can't see that. These guys are extremely musical, and they know how to make a great pop song. That might not be enough for most people, but it's been the soundtrack of my summer, so it's good enough for me.

It might not be the "best" album I've heard in 2008, but I've probably listened to the Vampire Weekend album more than any other album this year.

Yeah, Vampire Weekend made a fine record. I like the stuff that influenced it (mid 80's Paul Simon, the Talking Heads, etc.) a lot more, but there are some great songs on VW, and it's a endlessly listenable.

There are a lot of diverse tastes here at VC, just look at the 100 greatest albums thread, if there are a lot of similar records that keep reappearing it kind of makes sense if you think about, because on some base level we all came here because we like a certain band, Titanic Love Affair... err... Wilco and therefore it makes sense that we'd have a couple of other overlapping artists and records.

I'm way behind on new things this year, I am finally wrapping my head around 2006, man Ys is a trip of a album. Fleet Foxes is the only record that's came out in 2008 that I really love so far. Hopefully my move to the Twin Cities, where I'll be closer to a record store and within reasonable driving distance to shows will jump start my 2008 collection.

--Mike

i think this year, so far, has seen better reissues of old/lost albums than new stuff. i can't really say any new material is incredible or necessarliy anything i'll be listening to in years to come - whereas 2007 had strawberry jam and person pitch, for me; and then there's 2006 which had ys & trials of van occupanther - all of which i still play a lot and can't see a time when i'll stop doing so.

anyway, some goodish stuff so far includes:

beach house - devotion

el guincho - alegranza

neon neon - stainless style

my morning jacket - evil urges

bonnie prince billy - lie down in the light

the tindersticks - the hungry saw

the ruby suns - sea lion

howlin rain - magnificent fiend

some average/'not too bothered either way' stuff includes:

vetiver - a thing of the past

vampire weekend - vampire weekend

fleet foxes - fleet foxes

stephen malkmus & jicks - real emotional trash

man man - rabbit habits

and finally some stuff i really did not like:

the raconteurs - consolers of the lonely

beck - modern guilt

british sea power - do you like rock music?

looking forward to the next animal collective release, and tv on the radio - unless someone comes out of nowhere, they seem the only likely groups to do something really special at the moment. (oh, and maybe the next grizzly bear album too).

It might not be the "best" album I've heard in 2008, but I've probably listened to the Vampire Weekend album more than any other album this year.

That's a very true statement for me. I've listened to it more than any other 2008 album.