Bonnie "Prince" Billy

"Lie Down in the Light"

I was searching the database for a thread on this and couldn't find one. What do you'll think of this album. I've only listened to it once so far, but I really didn't care for it. He is hit or miss for me, and kinda creeps me out, but I love Sings Palace Music and I thought The Letting Go had some realy standout tracks, but this one feels confusing to me. I read all these reviews about the country folk rollicking nature of this album, and i swear they must have only listened to the first song. Anyway, what am I not hearing here?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"I See a Darkness" hooked me right away but after many listens, I love "Lie Down in the Light" just as much. It's a "grower," I think. I've been listening to it an awful lot for the past month. The lyrics are right up my alley right now.

• 2 months later...

I think the "Summer in the Southeast" live album is a good starter. "I See a Darkness" and "The Letting Go" too.

From what I've read, the upcoming "Beware" is going to be awesomely badass. If anyone sees/hears that it's leaked at some point, let me know and I'll be your best friend for the rest of our lives. I'm aching to hear it!

From what I've read, the upcoming "Beware" is going to be awesomely badass. If anyone sees/hears that it's leaked at some point, let me know and I'll be your best friend for the rest of our lives. I'm aching to hear it!

I hope it's badass. I bought the new non-album single on iTunes and was disappointed by its lack of badassery. He's done pretty just fine, now freak the fuck out again!

Love this album. Just love this album.

I would recommend Palace Music - Viva Las Blues as the best starting point.

I gotta go rewatch Matewan soon.

:thumbup. Fine film, and I am not just saying that because I am from WVa. I love Oldham's stuff quite a bit, this was one of my favorites of the year.

--Mike