• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't. Classic red herring. Daniel's mom is in Oxford. Mrs. Hawkins wasn't in Oxford, she was in LA with Ben.

You're thinking too linearly. There's nothing that says the chronology of all the stuff we saw was a normal timeline.

ALthough last night's episode seemed to hint that Locke really does die, I still think they may have faked his death with the spider that made everyone think Paulo and Nikki were dead. It's possible they just simply dropped their storyline completely when people bitched, but the spider would give their existence SOME meaning.

I listened to a podcast with Cuse and Lindelof last week where they said they wished the time travel rules of Lost made it possible for them to go back and erase Nikki and Paulo from the show, but alas, they still exist on our DVDs. :lol

You're thinking too linearly. There's nothing that says the chronology of all the stuff we saw was a normal timeline.

Don't necessarily think that the Ben Mrs. Hawkins piece was out of the normal Oceanic 6 timeline. From the stand point of television the O6 timeline progressed normally (not like the on island "unstuck" folks.) Sure Ben could have hopped a plane and flew to Oxford to talk to Mrs. Hawking, and told her about Hugo, and got the 70 hour time frame. But man wouldn't that suck to have to fly back to LA and waste a good 10-15 hours. Plus it would really be poor writing to have a time travel element in a story line (the O6) that previously had none with no hint or acknowledgment. The writers are too smart for that. If she really was in Oxford he should have made a call, or atleast done iChat or something.

Ben seems to have a network of people (Jill the Butcher) willing to help him in and around the LA area. So one would think that Mrs. Hawking is in LA.

One thing we noticed, there were title cards indicating when things were happening. That is new to the show, no? It would say "Three years ago" and things like that. They jumped around in time in previous season without acknowledging it. I wonder if that has significance or if they simply want to try to make it more accessible to those that don't follow it all that closely.

Guest Gym Teacher Man
Don't necessarily think that the Ben Mrs. Hawkins piece was out of the normal Oceanic 6 timeline. From the stand point of television the O6 timeline progressed normally (not like the on island "unstuck" folks.) Sure Ben could have hopped a plane and flew to Oxford to talk to Mrs. Hawking, and told her about Hugo, and got the 70 hour time frame. But man wouldn't that suck to have to fly back to LA and waste a good 10-15 hours. Plus it would really be poor writing to have a time travel element in a story line (the O6) that previously had none with no hint or acknowledgment. The writers are too smart for that. If she really was in Oxford he should have made a call, or atleast done iChat or something.

Ben seems to have a network of people (Jill the Butcher) willing to help him in and around the LA area. So one would think that Mrs. Hawking is in LA.

I think I agree with what you said there, but I still think it's Daniel's mom. Just because Daniel told Des to go to Oxford, doesn't mean she's in Oxford. In the present day story line of the Oceanic 6, Daniel is on the island, and probably doesn't really know where his mom is. But really, who knows???

Also, who is Jill the Butcher? Had we seen her before or something? She didn't look familiar but there have been so many little minor character pop-ups over the year.

The question I asked myself during the episode: "If Locke goes into the hatch, under Mr. Eko's brother's plane and then time-travels into the past (pre-construction) or if Daniel Farraday is invited into Des's hatch and then time-travels forward (post-explosion), is he immediately buried and killed?"

Anyone?

The question I asked myself during the episode: "If Locke goes into the hatch, under Mr. Eko's brother's plane and then time-travels into the past (pre-construction) or if Daniel Farraday is invited into Des's hatch and then time-travels forward (post-explosion), is he immediately buried and killed?"

Anyone?

We thought the same thing. I have no answer. Time travel storylines seem to always get bogged down in their own logic. Already we see "there are rules" but apparently Desmond is an exception to the rules. Before they established Desmond as special, we were asking how Desmond was able to save Charlie all those times if the "rules" don't allow you to change the "stream." Clearly Desmond learned that time would self-correct eventually and realized that Charlie had to die, but he still changed the stream. Now they are saying he is special somehow. I get frustrated with that stuff.

We thought the same thing. I have no answer. Time travel storylines seem to always get bogged down in their own logic. Already we see "there are rules" but apparently Desmond is an exception to the rules. Before they established Desmond as special, we were asking how Desmond was able to save Charlie all those times if the "rules" don't allow you to change the "stream." Clearly Desmond learned that time would self-correct eventually and realized that Charlie had to die, but he still changed the stream. Now they are saying he is special somehow. I get frustrated with that stuff.

I understand what you're saying. I think that Desmond is a "special" case because either he turned the key and became "unstuck in time" previously --OR-- lost his memory traveling off the island, cannot account for his time on the island, and therefore poses no paradox by having Farraday see him in the past (if he has no memory does this allow his past to be able to change, type of question). What I could never figure out and what they have never really addressed is whether or not Des regained his memory of the island? With this last episode (his dream, etc.) I believe the writer's answered that he didn't.

Also, who is Jill the Butcher? Had we seen her before or something? She didn't look familiar but there have been so many little minor character pop-ups over the year.

I think she was in season 3 when Julliet was in trouble with the others for helping Jack. She was sort of an enforcer/sheriff for the others

One thing we noticed, there were title cards indicating when things were happening. That is new to the show, no? It would say "Three years ago" and things like that. They jumped around in time in previous season without acknowledging it. I wonder if that has significance or if they simply want to try to make it more accessible to those that don't follow it all that closely.

They used it once before I can remember when they were telling the story of the tail section survivors, might have been called the other 48 days or something like that.

So here is a question. Why didn't Richards people become "unstuck in time" like Locke and the other Losties?

Well I think they sort of belong to the island. Whatever reason for them stay with the island is the same as why they don't age. That's my guess at least. Are they dead? Are they Tralfamadorians? I don't know, but they aren't the same as the Losties... or Ben for that matter.

Time travel, love it! I've been waiting for it to be part of the storey.

It wouldn't be Faraday's mom, that would be too easy, right.

70 hours...

Richard gives me teh creeps. Does he never age, or does he just time travel (visiting Locke as a boy)?

There was so much to take in, I'm going to have to watch it again. yay for PVRs.

There was a little upcoming season teaser on the local news here last night where Lindeloff hinted at new, unpredictable romances. I'm sure this at least partially means Sawyer and Juliette.

So if "everybody" has to get back to the island to prevent catastrophe, does Sun's baby also have to get back? Kid's in Korea now, right?

Also, I thought the "Libby says hi" line was classic. That and the "can't even make fire" line were nice to see that they aren't taking themselves too seriously to have a little cheese thrown in.

I think she was in season 3 when Julliet was in trouble with the others for helping Jack. She was sort of an enforcer/sheriff for the others

i don't think that's the same person. could be, though...that was from the early part of S3 that i don't remember very well.

In my head, for whatever reason, I am using the Back to the Future series as the precedent for how time travel works.....or doesn't. Goddamn this is a cool show. Glad we're all on board for another season here!