• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is supposed to be concert footage interspersed with interview and other footage. I guess a lot if it?

And Ashes made it. Hmmmm.

Yes.. I suppose it's more a documentary kind of dvd.. anyway, I'm sure it will be great, only that I was expecting a full concert.. :mellow

I'd guess maybe Ashes was recorded in a soundcheck or backstage like the residency videos. There may be bonus songs not in the actual documentary as bonuses on the DVD as well. For only 13 songs it's a pretty strong set, I'm quite happy Wishful Thinking made it.

--Mike.

That's an incredible set. Handshake Drugs is my favorite live song of theirs and it does a good job of spanning their catalog, with the exception of not having anything from A.M.

My only question is do I drive 45 minutes out of the way to pick this up at an indie store in Dallas or wait two weeks until it comes out in regular stores?

That's an incredible set. Handshake Drugs is my favorite live song of theirs and it does a good job of spanning their catalog, with the exception of not having anything from A.M.

My only question is do I drive 45 minutes out of the way to pick this up at an indie store in Dallas or wait two weeks until it comes out in regular stores?

How much of the 'Total Pro's' then? Have to say I was hoping for 'Pieholden...' and could have done without HMD. Hey ho! Delighted 'Ashes' is on there, although in the light of the previous discussion I imagine this will be an audio recording painted over with various bits of arty, generic, live footage. I guess there'll be extras too a la IATTBYH (great version of Pieholden on there!)

Hey Jeff, there is this album called AM, check it out!

I like the inclusion of Kingpin, and I'm sure this will all be great, but kind of disapointed with this track listing. I'm so bored with Handshake Drugs with the exception of the noise jam at the end. Anyway, not trying to complain too much, but this seems a lot like Kicking Television (a little heavy on the new stuff) With the residency shows and playing the entire catalogue I guess I was hoping for more of a mix.

I'm not a big fan of cut-and-paste concert DVDs. I'd much prefer an entire concert, from start to finish (blemishes and all).

We'll see how this one turns out though.

Yeah, but if I wanted an entire concert, I would go to a concert. I imagine this will be similar to Sunken Treasure and be more of a document of the band on the road, which will be more interesting.

13 songs? Lame. This was a great opportunity to showcase some of the back catalog and make up for the song selection on Kicking Television. They played so much great stuff in '08. And now it looks like we're going to get an hour of music and an hour of the band's musings on life on the road. Zzzz...

On the plus side, the footage looks terrific.

Nonesuch put up a tracklist:

1 Ashes of American Flags

2 Side with the Seeds

3 Handshake Drugs

4 The Late Greats

5 Kingpin

6 Wishful Thinking

7 Impossible Germany

8 Via Chicago

9 A Shot in the Arm

10 Monday

11 You Are My Face

12 Heavy Metal Drummer

13 War on War

A chance to see/hear Handshake Drugs and A Shot in the Arm live again.

Yippee.

Hey Jeff, there is this album called AM, check it out!

I like the inclusion of Kingpin, and I'm sure this will all be great, but kind of disapointed with this track listing. I'm so bored with Handshake Drugs with the exception of the noise jam at the end. Anyway, not trying to complain too much, but this seems a lot like Kicking Television (a little heavy on the new stuff) With the residency shows and playing the entire catalogue I guess I was hoping for more of a mix.

I suspect "Kingpin" was included as much to educate newer fans on the live performance.

I like the songs they included, although I'm a bit puzzled about "Kingpin." Never one of my favorites, although I recognize that mine is a minority view.

Looking forward to the horns on "Monday."

Hoping that the "Heavy Metal Drummer" is the one from DC where a chick threw a bra at Tweedy.

The "set list" is short, but I like the interviews and backstage stuff, so if they run the whole thing out to 90 minutes or so I'll be more than satisfied.

I like the songs they included, although I'm a bit puzzled about "Kingpin." Never one of my favorites, although I recognize that mine is a minority view.

Have you seen this live with any lineup? Amazing.

13 songs is a little bit disappointing. I know I haven't seen Wilco as many times as some people, but I have seen them roughly 30 times and it would great to have a video that truly conveys the concert experience without all of the interview/backstage stuff. I'd rather pay a bit extra for a 2 disc set with a full concert on one disc and an extra disc with interviews and backstage stuff, if it's necessary to include all of that. Otherwise, one concert with about 25 songs would be just about right.

13 songs? Lame. This was a great opportunity to showcase some of the back catalog and make up for the song selection on Kicking Television. They played so much great stuff in '08. And now it looks like we're going to get an hour of music and an hour of the band's musings on life on the road. Zzzz...

On the plus side, the footage looks terrific.

I wonder if there will be a "Deluxe 2 DVD Edition" that has extra concert footage.

There was a two DVD version with IATTBYH that had additional live footage and its not uncommon with concert DVDs.

Maybe, just maybe.. :pray

I wonder if there will be a "Deluxe 2 DVD Edition" that has extra concert footage.

There was a two DVD version with IATTBYH that had additional live footage and its not uncommon with concert DVDs.

Maybe, just maybe.. :pray

Earlier on the site they did have something about a deluxe version but they've since taken it down.

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Wilco to Release New Concert DVD for Record Store Day, April 18

Wilco is set to release a new concert DVD, Ashes of American Flags, on Nonesuch, Saturday, April 18, at independent retailers nationwide as part of national Record Store Day. The DVD will also be available on that day here in the Nonesuch Store. A wide release will follow on April 28.

"My introduction to a lot of great music and to the 'music business' came from hanging around and eventually working at independent record stores in Belleville, IL, and St. Louis many years back,

Man, sometimes I think Brendan Canty might be one of the coolest dudes alive. It would be one thing just to play drums in Fugazi. Most people can't compete with that. But then he adds his efforts with Trixie films and Burn to Shine. The guy is like the sweetest curator/producer ever.