Man, sometimes I think Brendan Canty might be one of the coolest dudes alive. It would be one thing just to play drums in Fugazi. Most people can't compete with that. But then he adds his efforts with Trixie films and Burn to Shine. The guy is like the sweetest curator/producer ever.

Agreed. When I saw Eddie Vedder this summer in DC the Burn to Shine crew was filming the show, Brendan Canty included. To kick off the second encore Eddie asked Brendan to move from the behind the camera to behind the drum kit, and the two ripped up All Along The Watchtower. My brain exploded.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has probably already been covered but is this a straight concert filmor is it a documentary (like with interviews, backstage stuff, etc.)?

Is it one show or a complilation?

Whether its a compilation or one show, I'm hoping it will be the "live album" I wish Kicking Television had been. (Sorry, I think KT was too much Ghost is Born).

You'll probably find the answers to all of your questions in this thread: http://forums.viachicago.org/index.php?showtopic=38650

along with much discussion of the relative merits of blu-ray.

Read that entire thread and didn't really see any addressing my questions. Did get fully briefed on the raging Blu-Ray debate, though. :dontgetit

Nonesuch put up a tracklist:

1 Ashes of American Flags

2 Side with the Seeds

3 Handshake Drugs

4 The Late Greats

5 Kingpin

6 Wishful Thinking

7 Impossible Germany

8 Via Chicago

9 A Shot in the Arm

10 Monday

11 You Are My Face

12 Heavy Metal Drummer

13 War on War

Beautiful...I wonder when we'll find out which show each song comes from...

I asked this in the "other" thread, but it got buried in Blu-Rays ... so I'll throw it out once again.

Was anyone who was interviewed outside the Cain's (or other venue) before the show contacted by the producers about a release/permission to use the clip?

I was interviewed but not contacted. Cutting room floor I suppose.

I asked this in the "other" thread, but it got buried in Blu-Rays ... so I'll throw it out once again.

Was anyone who was interviewed outside the Cain's (or other venue) before the show contacted by the producers about a release/permission to use the clip?

I was interviewed but not contacted. Cutting room floor I suppose.

The usual practice is to have you sign the release before you're on camera, no?

The usual practice is to have you sign the release before you're on camera, no?

Would think so. They asked those of us who were interviewed (in line outside before the show) to spell out our e-mail address on camera so they could presumably contact us later to do a release. I figured good number of the people interviewed would be VCers and would mention if they were contacted at all.

Maybe there's an implied "consent" by the mere fact that we agreed to be on camera verbally and they didn't need it. Once inside the venue, I believe the concert ticket (that features all the small legal type disclaimers on the back) would be your agreement to be filmed, etc. ...

Guess we'll have to wait until April 18 to find out.

:coffee

tThis is a microcosm of why I love and hate the internet.

Now I know about the dvd and the track listing and am excited at the prospect of getting it.

Now I will have to wait two months in full knowledge of what is coming.

In the old days, I would either see it on the day it was released and be appropriately surprised or read about it a week before it came out.

Modern Life indeed.

maybe, but if that were the case like you said above, people would've probably posted about it.

That's what I thought.

Part of me hopes I'm in it, but the other part of me is afraid I'll look like the backstage guy in IATTBYH: "Is your new album more like A.M. or more like Summer TEETH?"

I'd settle for a glimpse of me in the Cain's crowd that doesn't make me look like a dork.

Part of me hopes I'm in it, but the other part of me is afraid I'll look like the backstage guy in IATTBYH: "Is your new album more like A.M. or more like Summer TEETH?"

The way he says that and his ridiculous smile after saying "teeth" makes me crack up every time

That's what I thought.

Actually, "the backstage guy" in the film is WXRT DJ Lin Brehmer. When IATTBYH came out, he laughed and laughed about his "essential contribution" to the film -- but you could tell he was fairly mortified. He's a pretty good guy in reality.