Actually, "the backstage guy" in the film is WXRT DJ Lin Brehmer. When IATTBYH came out, he laughed and laughed about his "essential contribution" to the film -- but you could tell he was fairly mortified. He's a pretty good guy in reality.

he's talking about the guy backstage at Tweedy's solo show, not the Grant Park interview.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my favorite is the guy who asks if the new album is like a trip hop album...wtf? I laugh so hard every time I watch that part!

Didn't Jeff say something about the album having tricky time changes on it? I think that guy was joking about the album being trip hop because Tricky is a 'trip hop'(genre no longer in use) artist.

Didn't Jeff say something about the album having tricky time changes on it? I think that guy was joking about the album being trip hop because Tricky is a 'trip hop'(genre no longer in use) artist.

could be...I thought they were talking about the experimental sounds, etc, on the forthcoming album and thats what spurred the dude's question. Either way though, still funny to me :)

trip hop. what the hell. i must be getting old. the summerteeth guy is annoying because of the way he says 'teeth'. but equally annoying is the woman who makes the comment about 'hole'. if i ever get the chance to go backstage (in my dreams) i have no idea what i would say or ask. i would probably just stand in the corner too nervous to do anything except look at jeff. i would want to give him a hug and say thank you.

trip hop. what the hell. i must be getting old. the summerteeth guy is annoying because of the way he says 'teeth'. but equally annoying is the woman who makes the comment about 'hole'. if i ever get the chance to go backstage (in my dreams) i have no idea what i would say or ask. i would probably just stand in the corner too nervous to do anything except look at jeff. i would want to give him a hug and say thank you.

Being one who has gone backstage once, I didn't know what to say either, I think I said something like.....You guys were great and I saw you in New Haven.......Can I get a picture? Thanks. Happy Birthday Spencer.........Really dumb shit that they hear all the time I'm sure. But it was cool none the less........I think I shook Jeff's hand as he walked by me later......

Don't know if this was posted...

Sneak Preview of Wilco Doc Ashes of American Flags

Ashes of American Flags -- the new Wilco documentary -- will have its world premiere tomorrow night at the Big Sky Documentary Film Festival in Montana. On February 25th, it will screen at the Noise Pop festival in San Francisco.

But the S.S. watched the film this morning... and there is some killer footage!

Ashes of American Flags follows Wilco on their club tour through the Midwest and Southeast in early 2008, capturing highlights from shows at Tipitina's in New Orleans, 9:30 Club in D.C., and gigs in Mobile and Tulsa.

"I'm afraid this show tonight is going to have an asterisk next to it because I'm on steroids," Jeff Tweedy tells a hopped up crowd at Nashville's Ryman Auditorium, adding that his voice would be gone if he hadn't 'Roided up. With that, Wilco launch into the nastiest version of "A Shot In the Arm" ever rendered.

The performances are the focus, and as anyone who's seen Wilco recently, they've never been hotter. We won't spoil everything, but we will say the roughly fifteen performances span their whole career. (Our favorites: "Kingpin," "Handshake Drugs" and a stunning take on the title track from a soundcheck at Cain's, in Tulsa.)

There's no drama like their last doc, I Am Trying To Break Your Heart. All the dudes in the band wax about the highs and lows of life on the road. There's even some footage of Tweedy hanging with his dad. "Every time he reaches the pinnacle," says Pops Tweedy, clearly embarrassing his son, "he just goes a little higher." (True!)

Kicking back on the tour bus, Tweedy sums it up. "Our band has made its living on the road. From the beginning I think that every step of the way was thrilling to us."

http://www.rollingstone.com/blogs/smokings...lco-doc-ash.php

But because I was at the show when Jeff made the comment about the show needing an "astrisk" because he was on steroids, I feel compelled to say they got that wrong. That was at the Tulsa show! Unless he recycled that banter from the earlier Nashville show. Which is possible, I guess. Not important in the grand scheme of things, but still kind of irritating.

But because I was at the show when Jeff made the comment about the show needing an "astrisk" because he was on steroids, I feel compelled to say they got that wrong. That was at the Tulsa show! Unless he recycled that banter from the earlier Nashville show. Which is possible, I guess. Not important in the grand scheme of things, but still kind of irritating.

It's definitely the Cain's show in Tulsa. I remember reading VC reviews of the Houston show (the day before) where fans said his voice was ailing and they were wondering if his voice would hold out in Tulsa. Plus, the doctor who gave him the shot was at the show. The trailer editing makes it look like it's at the Ryman since the full stage shot comes right after the closeup of the steroid comment (assuming that's the venue with the balcony -- sadly I've never been there). In Tulsa, he also gave a funny flex to show off his chemically-enhanced physique ...

2346042155_5f800ceb06.jpg

2346872246_8c6119c0b9.jpg

2346871038_48120d3844.jpg

At the Big Sky film festival, it won Best Cinematography. :)

On the fest's site there are a few pictures I hadn't seen, and also a review/comment:

"As much a concert film as it is a film about the demise of the America we used to know, one of community stores, small town markets and walking in neighborhoods. Sprawl and box stores have invaded small town America, and this country will never be the same."

http://bigsky.bside.com/2009/films/wilcoto...A7A924E#reviews

At the Big Sky film festival, it won Best Cinematography. :)

On the fest's site there are a few pictures I hadn't seen, and also a review/comment:

"As much a concert film as it is a film about the demise of the America we used to know, one of community stores, small town markets and walking in neighborhoods. Sprawl and box stores have invaded small town America, and this country will never be the same."

http://bigsky.bside.com/2009/films/wilcoto...A7A924E#reviews

Wow that review makes it sound like an important film. If that is the content then my hats off to both the band and filmmakers. We need our musicians to speak up about this. The war on small business in this country reminds me a lot of what happened to get Farm Aid going in the 80's. Corporate owned farms pushed out the local and family farm and now Wal Mart has done it to the Mom and Pop stores. I guess Jeff and the band must see that parallel too. I just got reminded again about why Wilco is my favorite band. I really can't wait for this DVD. I think we will all be really happy with this release even if the setlist looks a bit condensed. It is well worth it if they spend sometime highlighting the disappearing American small town IMHO.

I'm a little concerned about this whole small buisness vs. corporate goliath thing as it relates to the DVD. Wilco has recently walked a fine line between being an intellectual rock band and self important rock band. This is starting to smell like U2 territory. Not that I don't support the idea, in fact I have pretty much banned Wal Mart in my personal life for example. I also think Farm Aid (the principle behind it) is worthy and I liked when Wilco quitely did that gig, even though Neil Young himself admits that it has less than worthy results. I just don't like this sort of thing becoming THE focus with a rock band instead of the music as the focus. Pearl Jam Vs. Ticketmaster for example. Now of course I haven't seen the DVD and I give Wilco the benefit of the doubt, because I think they played the election really well with quitely supporting their candidate without chatizing others. So I respect them, I just don't want them to become some self important machine that pulls for social impact instead of just making tunes.

Further more, can you go and purchase every Wilco record and likely this DVD at places like Best Buy, crappy music stores inside the Mall, Barnes and Noble etc etc etc. I guess that is my point, if you are going to make a commentary on this type of thing, be prepared to put your money where your mouth is. You know, if you hate foreign oil, are you driving a SUV? If so......................hypocritical. Now if you are living what you are preaching (and you preach to the masses from your pearch as a rock musician) then you are not a hypocrite but you are annoying me in my book.

I sound like an ass, but I have a U2 allergy and this qoute from the film fest has me sneezing