6 Wishful Thinking

7 Impossible Germany

8 Via Chicago

9 A Shot in the Arm

10 Monday

11 You Are My Face

12 Heavy Metal Drummer

13 War on War

Anyone else bummed that these are the only tracks?

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding this quote below about the AOAF DVD, if any of you Wilco fans in the greater Chicagoland area want to learn more about what you can do on a local level to support your Main Street business districts and neighborhood retailers, check out the National Main Streets Conference at the Palmer House Hilton in Chicago on Sunday, March. 1. There is a series of four free trainings starting at 8:30 and lasting until 6 pm. This conference is run by the National Trust for Historic Preservation which has a very effective approach for saving downtowns from sprawl and suburbs. I've gone to this conference the last few years and they're a lot of fun! (disclaimer: I'm an employee of the Trust--and a huge Wilco fan).

"As much a concert film as it is a film about the demise of the America we used to know, one of community stores, small town markets and walking in neighborhoods. Sprawl and box stores have invaded small town America, and this country will never be the same."

At the end of the 9:30 show, as Jeff's walking off, he says "see you tomorrow night", which has a great the road goes on and on quality to it.

Fantastic review, and I must say this line gave me chills. Such a pleasure to watch this band do what they do so well, night after night.

estewart, that sounds really interesting - thanks for posting!

Not much to add to Maudie's extensive and informative review, but I wanted to say that the music and the shows comprised the heart of the movie. Don't expect too much backstage footage or even exhaustive interviews. Instead, the film crew seemed to focus the performances, with little mind to "hit" singles. "Impossible Germany" and "You Are My Face" were the highlights for me; there were a couple of shots that I could only dream of catching on camera myself. The interviews were scored by more song snippets, including the horns-laden "Pieholden Suite" and a bit of "Why Would You Wanna Live."

Not that I go to many Q&A sessions, but Brendan Canty was a breath of fresh air, and even his interaction with the audience revealed his no-BS, punk rock roots. His respect and admiration for the band was evident, but he didn't come across as a fanboy at all.

Okay, so I'm thinking of having a Wilco dvd viewing party for a handful of family and friends. The challenge is that most of them haven't listened to Wilco and are only vaguely aware of them from my regular announcement of Wilco events (concerts, new albums, this dvd, etc). I'm thinking of luring them in with the offer of sampling some home-brews that I'm working on. Beer seems to be the magic touch for having people stop by. (Maybe that says more about me than my friends...?) But anyway my plan at this point is to put the dvd in, keep the beer cold and hope people are interested enough to let me watch it. That seems pretty lame though. Anyone have any more concrete suggestions on pulling this off? Oh, because of scheduling and other activities, I probably won't be able to make it happen until mid-May or so, but there's small chance of this group catching the show on their own. Another question, though; do I wait and watch it at this party? Or watch it ahead of time so I can enjoy it without interruption from people who may not appreciate it?

Okay, so I'm thinking of having a Wilco dvd viewing party for a handful of family and friends. The challenge is that most of them haven't listened to Wilco and are only vaguely aware of them from my regular announcement of Wilco events (concerts, new albums, this dvd, etc). I'm thinking of luring them in with the offer of sampling some home-brews that I'm working on. Beer seems to be the magic touch for having people stop by. (Maybe that says more about me than my friends...?) But anyway my plan at this point is to put the dvd in, keep the beer cold and hope people are interested enough to let me watch it. That seems pretty lame though. Anyone have any more concrete suggestions on pulling this off? Oh, because of scheduling and other activities, I probably won't be able to make it happen until mid-May or so, but there's small chance of this group catching the show on their own. Another question, though; do I wait and watch it at this party? Or watch it ahead of time so I can enjoy it without interruption from people who may not appreciate it?

Clearly you can't wait until May to watch it so I would preview it.

Hopefully you have a good surround sound system to blast.

Sounds fun!

• 2 weeks later...

The bonus tracks on the DVD are:

ITMWLY

Airline to Heaven

It's Just That Simple

ATTWYS

IATTBYH

Theologians

Hate it Here

I found this info on an online DVD retailer's site (not Amazon). Apologies if anyone's already posted this elsewhere; I'm a little bit disappointed that the official DVD site or Wilcoworld doesn't show more information like this about the DVD.

The bonus tracks on the DVD are:

ITMWLY

Airline to Heaven

It's Just That Simple

ATTWYS

IATTBYH

Theologians

Hate it Here

I found this info on an online DVD retailer's site (not Amazon). Apologies if anyone's already posted this elsewhere; I'm a little bit disappointed that the official DVD site or Wilcoworld doesn't show more information like this about the DVD.

thanks, I was wondering what they would be-good choices in my humble opinion....

Hopefully the bonus tracks aren't filmed from the band's feet like the rest of the movie. Felt like I was in the front row while watching the movie last night. :mellow

With the exception of the soundcheck songs included.

I saw the new movie at the Music Box last night. It was really great in general, although I found some of the interview stuff kind of clunky. I was particularly moved by the section with Nels icing his neck and Glenn icing his hands.

All around the performances themselves were first rate and really fun. A better review by gogo is above and I don't have time to write more anyway.

LouieB

I enjoyed the film last night but was a bit surprised at the picture quality. Maybe it was the equipment it was being projected on it but looked like footage shot on VHS in the 80's. Maybe that was the style they were going for but I was hoping for crystal clear HD footage.

I hate to be a buzzkill but I also thought the film as a whole was a little uneven. The narrative angle didn't really flow with the live footage angle.

Other than those two points I thought the footage was great and sound was fantastic. The bit at the end with Jeff's dad was priceless!

I too thought the sound was fab -- a revelation since at shows I endevour to be as close to the front I can and therefore I often sacrifice the best sound. I don't have/care about HD, so I thought the picture quality was great -- remember its better than a polaroid!

I had to leave the Q&A early but the first question hit the age-old standers/dancers vs sitters; to which there never is a satisfactory answer :lol

Frankly, I can't wait to see it again!

Also thought the sound was fabulous, the picture was somewhat grainy....but I'll hold off reservations until I can see on a smaller screen. I thought it was extremely interesting that the band really had no input on this film whatsoever, and only asked for one segment of some drunk fans in NOLA be taken out (didn't want the fanbase to be associated with just drunken college kids)

I emailed Brendan and Christoph with some other questions, I didnt want to prolong the rough Q&A with the drunken kids that were complaining a dance party didn't break out during the movie. Also Da Total Pros got a better reception than Glenn these days? :dontgetit

Guest Gym Teacher Man

i certainly enjoyed this and will definitely buy it and watch it over and over again, but i was really just hoping for a dvd of a single show, start to finish.

i certainly enjoyed this and will definitely buy it and watch it over and over again, but i was really just hoping for a dvd of a single show, start to finish.

http://www.thedvdproject.net/

I have this past summer's Lollapalooza if you'd like to do a B&P or something. Bonus features are Wilco at Wrigley.

Guest Gym Teacher Man
http://www.thedvdproject.net/

I have this past summer's Lollapalooza if you'd like to do a B&P or something. Bonus features are Wilco at Wrigley.

i'm aware of the dvd project but i meant like a professionally shot concert. i've only ever seen the last tupelo show from the dvd project and it most certainly isn't professionally done.

I enjoyed the film last night but was a bit surprised at the picture quality. Maybe it was the equipment it was being projected on it but looked like footage shot on VHS in the 80's. Maybe that was the style they were going for but I was hoping for crystal clear HD footage.

I hate to be a buzzkill but I also thought the film as a whole was a little uneven. The narrative angle didn't really flow with the live footage angle.

Other than those two points I thought the footage was great and sound was fantastic. The bit at the end with Jeff's dad was priceless!

Yea, the Jeff's dad stuff was super, whereas some of the rest of the the narrative was more than uneven, it seemed kind of useless and uninspired. Okay so don't we all mourn the end of small town life? I know I do, but then again I live in a city (as do all the band members...) The Walmartization of America is hardly new and if anything in the cases of some small towns, the downtowns have had a slight resurgence, although not enough.

I was planning to ask what equipment they shot this thing on, but not being an equipment geek I figured it would be a waste of both of our times to ask that since I probably wouldn't have understood the answer.

At least part of the narrative seem to indicate that John has a spot in the band forever...nice job security.

Also Da Total Pros got a better reception than Glenn these days? :dontgetit
Yea, that was a touch weird, but then again I think people appreciate that these guys are sort of the add on horn section rather than real band members and that it is kind of fun to give them some recognition.

LouieB

Ok, I just recieved a reply email with some good answers and clarification from one of the directors, Christoph Green....

Thought you all would be interested in some of this news so I asked his permission to share....

that's fine, paste away. It was a bummer because we showed up with an really pristine HDcam tape...

Yeah, the BlueRay is Nonesuch's decision. fingers crossed.

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 4:00 PM, Gleich, Jeff wrote:

Thanks for the quick response Chris. Would Nonesuch ultimately be the one to decide on whether or not the film would receive Blu Ray treatment? Do you mind if I paste some of your answers for the rest of the via chicago to read in the 'Wilco DVD' thread? Thanks again and good luck.

Cheers, Jeff

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: cgreensuperstar@gmail.com on behalf of christoph green

Sent: Wed 3/11/2009 1:58 PM

To: Gleich, Jeff

Subject: Re: Wilco- Ashes of American Flags Chicago premiere/question

Thanks Jeff!

I really appreciate your kind words. I was pretty bummed after the Chicago showing because the festival promoters messed up and ended up projecting the film off of a DVD instead of off of the HD tape. rest assured, it will look a lot better when you watch it at home! (and sound better)

Anyway, we don't know if the film will come out on BlueRay but it really should. It looks really good in HD. I read the forum sometimes and was really confused by the BlueRay debate.

The DVD will have 7 extras taken from all of the shows. They are almost all songs that were in the film at some point and were removed to achieve the proper "arc".

Again, thanks for the feedback.

Take care,

Christoph Green