Leno / Conan / NBC / etc.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Speed Racer

I feel a little bad for Conan. It doesn't SEEM fair. But remember, it was Leno who ultimately gave Conan the Tonight Show. Jay didn't like NBC's decision to get moved to prime time. Jay couldn't understand how NBC could take him out of a spot that he hosted THE HIGHEST RATED LATE NIGHT SHOW FOR OVER 10 YEARS?!

You're argument makes no sense. Jay gave Conan the show, but it was NBC who moved Jay?

Jay needs to retire from television. After all, most of his income comes from stand-up anyway (a fact I think I read in this thread? somewhere else on VC?). I hope Conan leaves the network if Jay accepts the show.

I'm torn about what Conan should do. On the one hand, I hope that Jay's half-hour show bombs and Conan can move back to 11:35 pretty quickly. On the other hand, I want him to go to Fox (or elsewhere) and then beat Leno's ass in the ratings (which he may not be able to do, but let's find out).

I wonder, too, if Fox might put Conan on at 11:00. They run local news from 10 to 11. The Detroit affiliate then launches into some shit called "Fox News Edge," which is more of the local news but supposedly with an "edge" to it (or so I've been led to believe ... I don't watch it). I don't know if that's true for other markets.

That would put Conan up against Jon Stewart, which isn't necessarily a good idea, but he might pull big enough ratings to beat both Leno and Letterman, who will presumably resume their 11:35 rivalry. At 11, Conan's most difficult task would likely be retaining viewers who may be tempted to switch over to Letterman or Leno at 11:35.

If they put him at 11:35, he's probably going to have 90+ minutes of local news as a lead-in, and that doesn't strike me as an optimal situation.

Last I heard, ABC seemed to be out of the Conan game, so Fox may be his only viable broadcast-network option. If what Fox can offer isn't ideal, NBC may yet retain him.

You're argument makes no sense. Jay gave Conan the show, but it was NBC who moved Jay?

Jay needs to retire from television. After all, most of his income comes from stand-up anyway (a fact I think I read in this thread? somewhere else on VC?). I hope Conan leaves the network if Jay accepts the show.

There's no way to know if Conan's ratings would have been better or not had NBC gone with normal prime time shows. You're making a HUGE assumption that NBC...who is in last place...would have made prime time shows to help bring in an audience for Conan. More likely, NBC would have gone cheap and put on crappy reality shows that nobody would want to watch.

NBC dug themselves a Grand Canyon-sized hole, and now must figure out the safest and cheapest way out of it. If Leno leaves or if NBC dumps Leno, their gonna have to pay Jay a HUGE sum of money. Jay was guaranteed 2 years of his hefty salary. Conan's contract supposedly doesn't say he's guaranteed the 10:30-11:30 time. NBC claims they can legally move his show back a half hour, as long as it remains The Tonight Show.

By putting Leno on for a half hour, NBC probably feels Jay's ratings will be similar to what they were before the shake-up and much better than Conan's first half hour right now. And if Leno has a strong half hour, that should help Conan's show.

The hatred for Leno on this board is obvious, but come on people. Try to look at it like NBC is forced to look at it.

Ultimately, I think Conan stays. I don't think Fox is serious. It would cost major millions to start up a new late night show. Conan should slowly work on building up his audience, and eventually Leno WILL leave...maybe in just 2-3 years.

List of late-night American network TV programs

I think NBC needs to come up with some more hit cop or medical shows. It could be that they are trying to do that. That is a lot of people to cram into a somewhat short space of time (Leno, Conan, Fallon, and Carson Daly). I still think Jay should do a car show on the Speed Channel.

Edited by Analogman
Guest Speed Racer

I think NBC needs to come up with some more hit cop or medical shows. It could be that they are trying to do that. That is a lot of people to cram into a somewhat short space of time (Leno, Conan, Fallon, and Carson Daly). I still think Jay should do a car show on the Speed Channel.

Or, combine suggestions from everyone in the thread and NBC should start a reality show hosted by Jay Leno about restoring classic cars and building hot rods, using cast-offs from canceled medical and crime dramas as the contestants.

Didn't Leno agree to leave, then bitch about it until NBC relented and gave him that coveted 10:00 spot? That's what I remember reading somewhere.

Either way, I feel bad for Conan. People seem to be forgetting that he moved his entire life across the country for this job. Ratings or not, it's fucked up to just take it back.

I remember it that 5+ years ago rumors were swirling that Conan may be interested in other networks or other networks were flirting with bringing him on. NBC didn't want to lose Conan, so they got with Jay and worked together to come up with an agreement that Leno would do the show 5 more years.

It was my impression that Jay dot like the ultimatum, but did it to not ruffle feathers, and Jay knew that if his show was still on top after 5 years, he could go elsewhere.

Fast-forward 5 years.....Jay's show IS still on top. Rumors start swirling that perhaps Jay will host a show on a rival network. NBC doesn't like that idea either. So they then come up with the prime time show.

It's a BIG mess. But I think Jay and Conan can BOTH come out OK in this. Conan should stay.

What I'm not sure I understand is, are people flipping away during Jay's hour (he can't hold his own audience?) Or are they flipping away from the news because they really don't like Conan and are flipping early saving themselves having to change the channel later?

A lot of Americans leave their TVs on while they go to sleep. Maybe Jay's a better sleep aid than Conan? He certainly bores the piss out of me. ;)

Well, good for Conan. He retains his dignity. I'm not sure the same can be said for Leno, or NBC.

He's called NBC's bluff. I'll hold out some hope that the network relents and decides to jettison Leno altogether (which is what they should have done in the first place), but I don't think those people are that smart.

Well, good for Conan. He retains his dignity. I'm not sure the same can be said for Leno, or NBC.

He's called NBC's bluff. I'll hold out some hope that the network relents and decides to jettison Leno altogether (which is what they should have done in the first place), but I don't think those people are that smart.

Stop dumping on Leno.

Crap on NBC. Unleash yuor fury on Jeff Zucker. All this mess isn't Leno's fault.

Leno was running the #1 show when, to not lose Conan, NBC had the brainstorm of keeping both. Leno was guaranteed 2 years of his new show. His new ratings lived up to expectations.

So what? Now Leno is supposed to can all his employees that he's been loyal to and probably only agreed to the earlier show so that all his wokers could have a job a few more years.

If NBC wants to pay Leno and his staff 2 years worth of pay, then I'd be totally cool with Conan getting what he wants.

Sounds like NBC will be forced to pick one, and pay a ton of money to the other. And Zucker should be fired.

Guest Speed Racer

Stop dumping on Leno.

Crap on NBC. Unleash yuor fury on Jeff Zucker. All this mess isn't Leno's fault.

Leno agreed to certain terms. Now he is one of several parties campaigning for those terms to be changed. Believe me, JN, if he didn't want to keep working, he wouldn't. He's not some innocent party getting shuffled around here.

If Conan walks away from NBC, they'll have no one to replace Leno when he retires, assuming Conan holds his ground and doesn't come back.

Stop dumping on Leno.

No. Fuck Leno. His dumb ass was on the way to retirement. He should now complete the journey.

I'm finally realizing that his "nice guy" persona is a carefully cultivated image constructed for the media. The guy's a douche.

It's the failure of Leno's show that caused all this. And now Conan's being penalized for that? No. Fuck Leno.

Leno was running the #1 show when , to not lose Conan, NBC had the brainstorm of keeping both. Leno was guaranteed 2 years of his new show. His new ratings lived up to expectations. he announced his retirement and Conan was given the Tonight Show.

Everything beyond this is what's insane.

Guest Speed Racer

Now Leno is supposed to can all his employees that he's been loyal to and probably only agreed to the earlier show so that all his wokers could have a job a few more years.

I missed this the first time. :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl NBC should can both of them and hire you. That's the funniest thing I've heard all year!