Second City'S Letters To Santa Fundraiser

What a great night!

Really enjoyed the advance ticket sales aspect of the show this year, especially since I had to work until 6. We were seated in the back row but moved up to the second row after they kicked out the non wristband people.

There is no reason I will ever miss this show.

from what I can remember here is the setlist:

Wilco the song

Impossible Germany

Hummingbird (w/crowd whistling)

Jesus Etc

? One day Love will find you

Simple Twist of Fate (short butchered and aborted version)

Hate it Here

She's a Jar

I've been to this thing two years in a row now and I love it. Audience was extremely respectful and dead silent throughout the perforance. Jeff was his usual verbose and humorous self. Most importantly he raised almost $100,000 by himself.

only bad thing: m just bitter that somebody stole my engagement idea!

It's a Daniel Johnston song, no? That was a lovely moment. Congrats to the couple!

Last night was my first Letters to Santa benefit and I can't think why I would have ever skipped it in the past. We almost didn't get in, but they squeezed us in at the last minute. Imagine being ushered into a dark theater, climbing a few stairs, and suddenly finding yourself face to face with Jeff Tweedy! :blink It was almost surreal.

What a great event and a great cause. Many thanks to those with deep pockets for being so generous last night! Each of the 4 living room shows went for 23k...yowza!

I think this was the order, but speak up if I've got it wrong. We must keep our Wilcobase statistics accurate!

1. The Wilco Song

2. Impossible Germany

3. Jesus Etc

4. Hummingbird

5. Daniel Johnston cover - True Love Will Find You In The End

6. Dylan cover - Simple Twist of Fate

7. Hate It Here

8. She's a Jar

This bettered last year in every way. And last year was great!

FOUR SHOWS! :worship :o

i always worry that jeff & susan will have a bad enough experience at one of them and decide not to do them.

holy smokes. generous peeps. jeff & susan and the bidders!

It's a Daniel Johnston song, no? That was a lovely moment. Congrats to the couple!

Last night was my first Letters to Santa benefit and I can't think why I would have ever skipped it in the past. We almost didn't get in, but they squeezed us in at the last minute. Imagine being ushered into a dark theater, climbing a few stairs, and suddenly finding yourself face to face with Jeff Tweedy! :blink It was almost surreal.

What a great event and a great cause. Many thanks to those with deep pockets for being so generous last night! Each of the 4 living room shows went for 23k...yowza!

Wow! Great work! Question. I never been to one of these Living Room shows. How many attend this? 30 People? That would be about $750 a person to get in right?! Wilco fans are very generous (Jeff and Sue too)! :worship

I've never been to one either, but yeah - last night they were saying the Living Room shows were limited to 30 people, and each person gets to pick a song for Jeff to perform. I wonder if someone who's actually attended one would like to weigh in? I'm curious!

It's incredibly generous of Sue and Jeff. Such a cool experience to share with your favorite musician!

Oh, these living room shows have been happening for many years, and after each show the attendees log into VC and make a thread about their party and the setlists, etc, here in "After The Show" section. I'm sure if you use the search function on the word "Santa" here in the "After the Show" section, you'd find a plethora of info on these. (No time to do this myself today, I just wanted to give you a start).

Although here is an off-VC extensive and wonderful blog review by VC's own bobbob1313.

http://ivenopride1313.livejournal.com/286338.html#cutid1

I have one of the shows on disc ....I believe 2/17/07 (starts with spiders and i'm too lazy to look up the setlist now)

its one of the best shows i have, very pure.

It seems there are several other shows with guests playing with Jeff. I'm assuming these are some of the people who have paid to attend but these ones arent nearly as grand as the pure solo Jeff show.

Still very happy after last night.

I also loved when Jeff said: "I don't roll out of bed for less than 30 gand on the road" implying that we're all getting a bargain (which, of course, we are). I talked to Jeff & Sue backstage afterwards and said I couln't believe he was doing 4 shows, and he said he's looking forward to it. He also said they're going to the inauguration, in case anybody was wondering. These are people that fully deserve every good thing that has happened and will ever happen to them in this life.

It seems there are several other shows with guests playing with Jeff. I'm assuming these are some of the people who have paid to attend but these ones arent nearly as grand as the pure solo Jeff show.

I can see how people would prefer to listen to just Jeff, but having been lucky enough to attend a few of these, I can tell you that seeing your friends getting to perform with Jeff, and Jeff being so gracious and generous to his fellow performers, is absolutely one of the coolest things about the night.

And then, there are also the loud and raucous sing-alongs, which are a big part of the reason why some of these shows are virtually unlistenable. :lol

Holy Shnikey 'She's a Jar'!!!! It all started at the Lounge Ax when Jeff played 'Hesitating Beauty' and I saw the light , since then

he continues to blow my mind. I need to experience one of these living room shows and am willing to pay my way ...and my wife's. I f anyone who knows anyone please try and let me know if it is possible to experience one of these shows.

Thanks

Nick

pecora13@gmail.com

:dancing :worship :rock :cheers

This is exciting on so many levels. Tangara, I went to one last year (4/5/08). Jeff played "Gun" for me and it was one of the most awesome nights of my life. :thumbup

WOW. That's so cool! :o

I did consider bidding on a song, but I couldn't make up my mind what I wanted to hear...Venus Stop the Train? One True Vine? Bob Dylan's 49th Beard?

Hey, do spots ever open up in these Living Room Show groups? My friend and I would definitely be interested if, say, someone had to drop out at the last minute...

How was the comedy at this point in the 24 hour-run? I've been in past years when Jeff played a few hours after the event started and loved seeing all of the participants at the top of their game ... I'd have to imagine they are pretty worn out on the flip-side towards the end of the event.

Hey, do spots ever open up in these Living Room Show groups? My friend and I would definitely be interested if, say, someone had to drop out at the last minute...

How are you at kissing ass?

I think this was the order, but speak up if I've got it wrong. We must keep our Wilcobase statistics accurate!

1. The Wilco Song

2. Impossible Germany

3. Jesus Etc

4. Hummingbird

5. Daniel Johnston cover - True Love Will Find You In The End

6. Dylan cover - Simple Twist of Fate

7. Hate It Here

8. She's a Jar

This bettered last year in every way. And last year was great!

I spent about 10 hours at Second City on Wednesday, and it was a great way to spend the day. Improv comedy-wise, there are some very talented people, and I found myself laughing out loud on numerous occasions. I even got the chance to go on stage for a little audience participation. Robbie Fulks played, and was hilarious, especially doing his countrified version of Beyonce's "Irreplacable" The Breeders were interesting, though they seemed distracted and amateurish--trouble with their equipment and levels, missing chords and lyrics. Tullymonster (now renamed Sacajaballsac by the attentive audience) were truly incredible...a talented group of kids. They even encored with "Heavy Metal Drummer."

Jeff's set was relaxed and informal, but thrilling nonetheless. I was one of the bidders, and asked for "Simple Twist of Fate." Jeff admitted he never really learned the words, but if someone printed them out he would give it a try. He then generously agreed to play for my friend (first time seeing Jeff solo) who quickly changed my 2nd suggestion from "Summerteeth" to "Jesus Etc." Later on, someone showed up with lyric sheet to "Fate" and Jeff gave it a full-hearted attempt. He aborted the song once the lyrics clashed with the version he sings, and early recording of the song Jeff remembers from seeing Dylan on TV.

The engagement was a terrific moment-- the kid who bid $500 for song for his girlfriend then admitted he didn't have $500 because he spent it all on a ring!

And let's not forget Jeff lying out on the floor during the Living Room Show bidding, and claiming he felt like a prostitute in the Red Light District :boff

n669831812_1610615_7015.jpg

n669831812_1610613_7874.jpg