It was okay. It had its moments, but overall it felt kinda flat and felt like it had a lot of unfulfilled potential.

That's how I felt, too. Plenty of virtues, but overall a disappointment.

• Replies 980
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched a few over the past week:

51tvcc1zTqL._SL500_AA240_.jpg 51o54ovynDL._SL500_AA240_.jpg 51R9QXTNP9L._SL500_AA240_.jpg 51rf8GBURvL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

How's the commentary on Bottle Rocket?

I quite enjoyed it. It's just Owen Wilson and Wes Anderson; it's pretty much like listening to two old friends reminiscing. They talk about how badly the film tested, and how they had 1 positive comment out of a group of 500. They actually memorized the card and used it to keep them motivated :). They get into the casting of the roles, and things they liked and would have changed and other such details involved in making the film. Worth a listen after watching for sure. Tonight I might tackle disc 2.

I just watched "Gremlins" with my son (who's almost 10) for the first time.

He really liked it & I'm glad it can appreciate a movie with such bad effects (compared to now).

Such a strange (sad & scary) Christmas movie!

Plus, he thinks our cat looks like Gizmo, which is a complement, as she's always been compared to Yoda (she's quite strange looking).

Awesome. Can't wait to get that for myself.

Owen reveals the source of "on the run from Johnny Law," "they'll never catch me because I'm fucking innocent," and "how does an asshole like Bob get such a nice kitchen?" And Wes at one point says "sometimes you just need cheerleaders not just people who will tell you the truth." In other words, it's everything you'd want in a Bottle Rocket commentary.

--Mike

A couple Christmas films, a sci-fi, and um, whatever it is The Room falls under--so bad, yet I couldn't turn away.

51utKqqJxeL._SL500_AA240_.jpg 51j89zaXrNL._SL500_AA240_.jpg 412MNP77TGL._SL500_AA240_.jpg 51J6HPV98GL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

The Room falls under--so bad, yet I couldn't turn away.

I've been avoiding that one, on the grounds that "enjoying" something on a purely ironic level--so bad it's good!--usually isn't all that enjoyable for me... but then again, for every ten lousy Surf Nazis Must Die!s, there's one blissful Plan 9 from Outer Space. Should I give in to The Room?

I've been avoiding that one, on the grounds that "enjoying" something on a purely ironic level--so bad it's good!--usually isn't all that enjoyable for me... but then again, for every ten lousy Surf Nazis Must Die!s, there's one blissful Plan 9 from Outer Space. Should I give in to The Room?

I'm the same way with "bad" films, but this film is an exception; It transcends the usual boundaries of bad films and enters rarefied air. It's a good bad, in a, you'll be involuntarily quoting the movie and imitating Wizeau's voice to family and friends kind of way. There's so many things that collide to make this film a mesmerizing train wreck: everything from overwrought to horribly wooden acting, scenes with laughable non-sequiturs, beyond cheesy bedroom scenes, characters and storylines coming and going without further explanation, bad green screen work, dialog so amateurish you swear the script was written in crayon. The topper though is Wiseau. You get the sense that he thinks he's Godard, making a masterpiece here. The fact that he made this with such apparent earnestness makes this the perfect storm.

trafic.jpg

Trafic (1970) is not the best Hulot comedy, perhaps because Jacques Tati's main proposal--that automobiles are a convenience not worth the hassle and social cost--comes off as facile and out of date. There are brilliant bits, but I much prefer Playtime and M. Hulot's Holiday.