News, news, news

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember hearing that the film crew was at the 9:30 Club shows in late February, too. And Tipitina's. Maybe the did all of the shows from DC through Cain's. (Which, looking at setlists, still wouldn't include Ashes.) Looking through those shows on Wilcobase did remind me that the setlists in the wake of the residency were just ridiculous, though. That was such a fun time.

Well, the only time AOAF was played around filming time it opened the show at Val Air in Des Moines so if this wasn't filmed it can't be on the DVD. Anyone go and see cameras?

Getting a bit anal about this probably but I do love that song and really hope it's on there. Also hope it's not too heavy on SBS material. Maybe it'll be documentary-ish with lots of addiitional songs on bonus discs etc. That would be a great result.

Well, the only time AOAF was played around filming time it opened the show at Val Air in Des Moines so if this wasn't filmed it can't be on the DVD. Anyone go and see cameras?

Getting a bit anal about this probably but I do love that song and really hope it's on there. Also hope it's not too heavy on SBS material. Maybe it'll be documentary-ish with lots of addiitional songs on bonus discs etc. That would be a great result.

I wasn't at the Val Air show, but if memory serves me correct (someone with more patience can look through the threads), there were no cameras spotted there.

I don't care what material is on the DVD as I like SBS as much as anything else. Having said that, since they "rehearsed" all their material during the residency in preparation of this tour, my guess is it will be quite a variety. Almost guaranteed to include "It's Just That Simple".

Wilco puts out plenty of albums, but this is their first concert video, I do believe. There was asposed to be one with Kicking TV, but the cameraman fucked up or something so it was scrapped. So there is that factor, plus the fact that we had been expecting the new album, and not everyone (the SBS-unenthused) is really that excited by a new album. (I liked SBS a lot, but I hope this new album is a bit more of an ass-kicker.)

I remember hearing that the film crew was at the 9:30 Club shows in late February, too. And Tipitina's. Maybe the did all of the shows from DC through Cain's. (Which, looking at setlists, still wouldn't include Ashes.) Looking through those shows on Wilcobase did remind me that the setlists in the wake of the residency were just ridiculous, though. That was such a fun time.

From my (admittedly possibly faulty) recollection, the filming took place at one of the nights in Washington at 9:30; at the Ryman in Nashville; in Mobile, Ala,. (at the Mobile Arena); one of the nights at Tipitina's in New Orleans; and at Cain's Ballroom in Tulsa.

I know they did some fan interviews on line in various places and took extra footage (other than just concert footage), so my guess is it'll probably incorporate some of that stuff. I would think that the Sunken Treasure DVD of Jeff's solo tour would be a good guideline of what the upcoming release might be like.

Wilco puts out plenty of albums, but this is their first concert video, I do believe. There was asposed to be one with Kicking TV, but the cameraman fucked up or something so it was scrapped. So there is that factor, plus the fact that we had been expecting the new album, and not everyone (the SBS-unenthused) is really that excited by a new album. (I liked SBS a lot, but I hope this new album is a bit more of an ass-kicker.)

Maybe I'm spoiled by the lovely and talented JHamm, but I can take or leave most concert videos (there are exceptions, like stop making sense and Rust). One or two plays is usually enough. Sure, I'll grab the video, but to me that's about where the band has been. A new CD is about where the band is going.

I looked back at the Des Moines Val Air thread from March and it turns out I answered my own question about that one - the full film crew wasn't there, but there was one guy with a video camera.

From my perspective, the email from Wilcoworld didn't really tell us anything new about the album. I'm excited about a new release, but we already knew it was supposed to be coming in the spring. It was nice to hear that's still the plan. The news about a DVD coming in the next couple of months, however, was 100% shiny new information.

Regarding the appearance of "ashes", since they didn't play it on the nights they were filming, they can use audio recorded elsewhere over credits or incidental portions of video if they wanted to. If I recall, the version at the residency was terrific; I was sad they only played it once.

Yeah, there was one guy with a video camera out at the first part of the Val Air show. So he definitely got Ashes.

Anybody have any info where they will be touring in Spain? Will see if I can coincide it with my holiday as there seems to be no UK show...

Anybody have any info where they will be touring in Spain? Will see if I can coincide it with my holiday as there seems to be no UK show...

Extensive sounds like Madrid, Barca, Bilbao, Zaragoza and maybe somewhere south like Seville. Think I might join you down there though I'm sure there'll be something UK later in the summer, maybe a festival or two and probably the Brixton date that never happened last time.

Seriously, nothing could be better than celebrating our anniversary with some nice Wilco around it :D

(My parents were almost part-time residentials of San Sebastian, Bea, they went there that often during the late 90s!)

End of May roll on! In need of some serious girlie time here (ok ok with hubbies :P)!! :hug

Billboard article:

Live Wilco DVD To Precede New Album

January 02, 2009 12:03 PM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

As first tipped here in August 2007, Wilco will release its first concert DVD, "Ashes of American Flags," chronicling February 2008 visits to Nashville's Ryman Auditorium and Tulsa, Okla.'s Cain Ballroom.

The project is due in February or March from Nonesuch, just in advance of the next Wilco studio album, which the band is now recording.

"Ashes" was assembled by longtime collaborators Brendan Canty and Christoph Green of Trixie Films, who previously worked on frontman Jeff Tweedy's solo DVD "Sunken Treasure" and the behind-the-scenes film that accompanied certain editions of Wilco's 2007 album "Sky Blue Sky."

According to a newsletter sent to fans, Wilco will play "a handful of gigs" in the southern U.S. in April, to be followed by an extensive tour of Spain in May and then "the usual summer hijinks with a new record and gigs everywhere imaginable."

Tweedy also has three solo shows on tap in Michigan and Illinois later this month.