MLB 2008-09 Hot Stove II

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good. This should mean they back off from Lowe and

Detroit gets smart and sells Lowe on the value of

coming home.

Not sure they will back off on him(or in regards to Smoltz or Sheets). There's innuendo/rumor that Wakefield has issues.....

Well, he doesn't have a catcher anymore.

Besides 'Tek (and really, there's still a chance he gets picked up again with BOS for less than the arbtration deal they originally offered him, as no other team is biting), Wakefield may have some serious arm issues. I think if they do pick up Penny (on the cheap, I'd imagine), it's decent insurance.

Well, he doesn't have a catcher anymore.

George Kottaras?

Doesn't inspire many memories of Fisk, does it?

Even if they bring Varitek back, it'll probably only be as a backup backstop. Not much out there though.

Even if they bring Varitek back, it'll probably only be as a backup backstop. Not much out there though.

True. Seems as if he's having a hard time coming to terms with the reality that he's best serving in a limited role. He still has value defensively but, realistically, isn't an everyday starter anymore.

Bard was awful catching Wakefield. He had something like 10 passed balls in 5 games. Everyone agreed it wasn't working and they shipped him off to get Mirabelli back ...

My point is, Doug Mirabelli was awful at catching Wakefield as well. Looks like he had 11 passed balls in ~25 games catching Wakefield, and Bard had 10 in 6 games, which is a pretty small sample size.

My point is, Doug Mirabelli was awful at catching Wakefield as well. Looks like he had 11 passed balls in ~25 games catching Wakefield, and Bard had 10 in 6 games, which is a pretty small sample size.

Maybe, but I would argue that the only reason that Mirabelli had a job in major league baseball last year was that he had some skill in catching a knuckleball. I remember watching one of the games where Bard was catching Wakefield and you could see the fear in his eyes.

There was a woman at the fabric store today, in line behind me buying some MFY fleece. I asked her how she could even touch it with her bare hand. She said she was going to wash with lye soap when she got home, and that it was going to ride in the trunk of her car. We had a hearty laugh and then we commiserated about how much the Nats suck.

After the Chicago Cubs bent over in the playoffs this past season, I have sadly lost interest in the game of baseball. I'm hoping that come late-March, I will be a fan again, but I'm just not at all excited about the game right now.

Good luck to your teams and happy watching. I hope you aren't extremely let down by your team's don't-give-a-shit-ness...

After the Chicago Cubs bent over in the playoffs this past season, I have sadly lost interest in the game of baseball. I'm hoping that come late-March, I will be a fan again, but I'm just not at all excited about the game right now.

i understand your sentiment and felt the same way.

until i booked a trip to mesa to watch the 2009 cubs spring training game against the sox. now, i cannot stop dancing to "go cubs go" :dance