Now Reading in the Old Year

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Also, I am rereading one of my favorite books for about the 50th time. It also happens to be a first edition version. I was lucky enough to have just come across this at an estate sale the other day. I bought it for $20. The only problem is it doesn't have its dust jacket. :( Still, I looked on ebay and I saw a couple first editions minus its dust jacket selling for hundreds of dollars. So, I am pretty lucky to have found this one in very good condtion! Also, it's pretty neat, on the first blank page there is a note from a mother to her son on graduation day that reads; " May you write something this great one day." I find this very interesting, makes me wonder about what the story behind what was written is all about.

salinger%20catcher%20525.jpg

>I didn't care too much for that one. I found a lot of mistakes about Tom in there. Try reading this one it's a much better bio, IMO

So far, I'd agree. I don't know that I've found mistakes,but it veers off into stuff I don't really care about. I'll try the other, thanks for the heads up. :pirate

Also, it's pretty neat, on the first blank page there is a note from a mother to her son on graduation day that reads; " May you write something this great one day." I find this very interesting, makes me wonder about what the story behind what was written is all about.

That's awesome - and it's :lol

I'm trying to squeeze in as much reading as I can before I start teaching again next Wednesday. I finished the Collected Poems of Frank O'Hara this morning, after a solid month of reading some of it just about every day. After that I breezed through Frank Giampietro's first collection of poems, Begin Anywhere. I liked the conversational, accessible style, and the way he balances serious subjects with humor. I'd definitely recommend it.

Now I'm working my way through Sascha Feinstein's memoir Black Pearls. There are a lot of layers, but he balances all of them perfectly. It deals with how he started trying to remember the year of his mother's death from cancer--a year he'd completely blocked out--and how both jazz and art (his parents were both artists) helped him to do that. He's primarily a jazz poet and scholar, and maybe I'm a bit biased because he was one of my first writing teachers, but so far I'm loving it.

salinger%20catcher%20525.jpg

I started to re-read this book about a week ago, about 20 pages in I wanted to whack Holden Caulfield upside the head and I put the book back on my shelf.

When I read the book in high school I loved it, now 20 years later I find Caulfield aggravating. Which I guess is Salinger's point. I should just plow through it, again. (That's great you found a first edition, no matter what shape it was in)

I have reread The Great Gatsby a few weeks ago, a book I have not read since high school, and that book was a great as I remembered it being.

Just started to reread Hesse's Steppenwolf, another book i thought was great back when I first read it. Looking forward to reading it again.

Now reading:

charlott.gif

Believe it or not, it just hit me: Fern Arable. Oh, arable. (Well, I haven't read this since early elementary school.)

:wub

Oh how I love that book! The annotated version is wonderful, too.

I think I had that same lightbulb moment about Arable a few years ago! Templeton might be my favorite character. His speech before they leave for the fair kills me every time.

My recent reads:

Read this last month and am still thinking about it a lot:

forever-war-filkins-0908-lg-87912724.jpg

I thought this was great (I wasn't sure I'd like it..):

n264371.jpg

chuck4.jpg

I used that as a textbook for one of my classes a few years ago. We didn't read the whole thing, but some of the chapters we did read sparked great discussions. My students had a lot to say about the Britney Spears essay, for instance, and we talked about the McDonald's essays before and after we watched Super Size Me. Not my favorite Klosterman, but there are definitely some gems in there.

I'm only 1/4 of the way through it, but I find I'm relaying portions of every story to whoever I happen to be near at the time. "Val Kilmer is a Scientologist!" I love Klosterman; Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs is phenomenal.

Guest Hollinger.
That one's in my to-read stack.

Ooh, that looks good!

It's a great read so far. Mike was a brilliant brilliant writer.

Also, for anyone who cares -- Mr. Mike's Mondo Video got released on DVD today. It also contains all of the Mr. Mike's Least Loved Bedtime Stories sketches. I can't wait to upgrade my shitty bootleg VHS.

The rest of the Tony Hillerman books I have not yet read:

The Fallen Man

The First Eagle

Hunting Badger

The Wailing Wind

The Sinister Pig

Skeleton Man

Aloha Magnum: Larry Manetti's Magnum, P.I. Memories

-Larry Manetti

The Cobra in the Barn: Great Stories of Automotive Archaeology

The Hemi in the Barn: More Great Stories of Automotive Archaeology

-Tom Cotter