61pPhaPMTIL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

:dancing

Beastie Boys To Reissue "Paul's Boutique" With Original Artwork, Song Commentaries

It's too late to make David Fricke's top reissues of 2008, but next year's list has an early contender: Beastie Boys will reissue their epic Paul's Boutique on January 27th to celebrate the album's 20th anniversary. The classic LP has been digitally remastered for the first time, with all three Beasties overseeing the 24-bit process. The album's original vinyl artwork will be restored in an eco-friendly, eight-panel digipak displaying a panoramic view of the intersection at Rivington and Ludlow in New York City's Lower East Side. A foldout poster will also be included in the package, plus the reissue gives fans access to a free download of a "track-by-track" album commentary, with Mike D, Ad-Rock and MCA talking about the songs while the track plays in the background, much like Director's Commentaries on DVDs. Despite a four-star Rolling Stone review, Paul's Boutique was deemed a critical failure upon its release in 1989. But the Beastie Boys' second album (and follow-up to the massively successful License to Ill) has gone on to become a cult classic and is recognized as one of the greatest rap albums of all time. With sample-heavy production courtesy of the Dust Brothers
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best news I've heard all day, seriously.

Ditto. Right behind Nation of Millions.

And maybe 3-ft. High and Rising.

But this is awesome news. If they do a good to great job on the remaster, this could be really something. Who knows what else there is to be heard on those tracks? So dense.

hahaha I know..subtle way of bitching about it.

In all seriousness, I'm excited. The CD total suffers from 80s CD syndrome; I don't know if it was even really mastered. It's so tinty, and tiny sounding.

Yup - it seems to be at about half the volume of other CDs.

The thing has always sounded best on cassette, oddly enough. I hope they managed to capture that.

And - >

Yup - it seems to be at about half the volume of other CDs.

The thing has always sounded best on cassette, oddly enough. I hope they managed to capture that.

And - >

Yeah...the earliest cds that started to sound loud were probably early 90s grunge records. Then by the mid-90s every record was compressed to hell...which doesn't work well on certain music, but on rap I like my bass pounding.

Did anyone ever try to call the phone number for Paul's Boutique back in the day?

Hell yeah! I remember my cousin and me calling it on our uncle's car phone during a family party that summer. I left my phone number and told the Beasties to call me.