• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beasties interviewed by hiphop.com about 3 Feet High & Rising - full piece here. All the Beastie bits below....

Paul: Q-Tip was the first person I heard talking about Paul's Boutique, then I immediately went and bought it. No: I bought it way before I heard Q-Tip talk about it! Right after I bought it, I remember me, him and Pos talking about how great it was. It wasn't 'til later, 'til I met the Beasties, they was like, 'Man, we was mad with you when you made 3 Feet High and Rising! That's what we were doing! That was our concept! We were putting all these samples together and stuff! And we were like, awww, now we've got to go back to the drawing board!' I was like, 'Really?' They were like, 'Man, we hated you guys!' Wow!

Mike D (Beastie Boys): I do remember... I was telling the story earlier, but... Actually, I don't remember running into Paul.

Adrock (Beastie Boys): I feel like I do. I think that was me.

Mike: So there you go. But I was just telling the story earlier that I remember the day that I got 3 Feet High and Rising. I don't know if it was the day it came out, or whatever, but we got it and we were in the studio, or on the way to the studio or whatever, and I remember listening to it, and I felt pretty crushed. I felt, 'Oh fuck! We've been putting all this work in, and like, they did it!' You know what I mean?

MCA (Beastie Boys): I think they're pretty different, actually.

Mike: I think in hindsight, they're radically different albums in terms of tone and feel and even just in terms of what they do. But it was just...

MCA: Most rap records in the immediate time before that was just beats, and people yelling over the beats. All the beats were trying to sound really big.

Mike: And shit trying to sound hard: instead of being brain-expanding material, they were trying to be hard. And all of a sudden De La Soul came out with, like, musically and lyrically a whole expansion of ideas. And Paul's Boutique did too.

Adrock: Public Enemy too.

Mike: Yeah, the Bomb Squad too. The Bomb Squad had... there was an eclecticism to what they did but it was somehow more focussed, or more purposefully kept to a certain tone, whereas 3 Feet High and Rising had such crazy, different shit on it, going on at the same time.

Adrock: 3 Feet High and Rising also sounded like those tapes you made when you were a little kid, on your tape deck, when you tape all stuff. All those skits and things. I'm not saying it's a child's thing, though.

Mike: [laughing] You're calling Paul a child?

Adrock: No.

Mike: But the shit still sounds really good today.

Paul: It was funny, because I used Licensed to Ill as a basis for a lot of the stuff! I was heavily listening to Licensed to Ill! That was my favourite! I thought Rick Rubin was a genius. Oh my God, I loved that record! That had a lot to do with 3 Feet High and Rising - Just the fun behind it. And even at the end, on Let's Get Ill, where they're cutting in Mister Ed, and there's all that awkward stuff, I'm like, 'God! This is incredible!' And I said, 'Man, I based a lot of my stuff on y'all!' Isn't that weird?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The only image I've seen of the new album cover comes from our boy solace's site: http://morecowbell.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/hotsaucecommitteept1.jpg

News:

Ladies and Gentleman,

We, the band collectively known as Beastie Boys, are contacting you, in regards to our 5 point plan:

1. The reissue of "Ill Communication" is imminent.

2. A reissue of "Hello Nasty" is released on the 25th of August.

3. A club show occurs in Chicago on the 6th of August.

4. The new Beastie Boys feature length LP entitled "HOT SAUCE COMMITTEE PART 1" is unleashed on the 15th of September. (See below for track listing*)

5. The music industry is saved.

Onsale info:

Tickets go on sale to the public Friday, June 26th at 10am Chicago time via http://www.frontgatetickets.com OR with a reduced service charge in-person at Site and Sound (2125 N. Milwaukee Ave.)

Ages 17+

*Tracklisting

1. Tadlock's Glasses

2. B-Boys In The Cut

3. Make Some Noise

4. Nonstop Disco Powerpack

5. OK

6. Too Many Rappers (featuring NAS)

7. Say It

8. The Bill Harper Collection

9. Don't Play No Game That I Can't Win (featuring Santigold)

10. Long Burn The Fire

11. Bundt Cake

12. Funky Donkey

13. Lee Majors Come Again

14. Multilateral Nuclear Disarmament

15. Pop Your Balloon

16. Crazy Ass Shit

17. Here's A Little Something For Ya

Best song titles since Check Your Head. Hopefully the music will be good this time around. I love the Beasties, but my enjoyment of their music took a dive starting with Hello Nasty.

Best song titles since Check Your Head. Hopefully the music will be good this time around. I love the Beasties, but my enjoyment of their music took a dive starting with Hello Nasty.

me too. after Ill Communication, I thought these guys would continue to grow and keep making great music, but they've been on more of a downslide ever since.

me too. after Ill Communication, I thought these guys would continue to grow and keep making great music, but they've been on more of a downslide ever since.

I'd be in agreeance here if I didn't love TT5B so damn much.

I'd be in agreeance here if I didn't love TT5B so damn much.

I have to admit that even though I'm not into the songs I've heard from that one, I have not heard it in it's entirety. I'll have to check my library catalog for that one. There's probably some good stuff on there that I haven't heard.

To be fair, there are probably a number of songs on their best albums that I wouldn't be that into if I heard them out of the context of the album. Beasties, for me, are an album band (and were also a killer live band most of the times I saw them).

I have a feeling this new one is gonna be a winner. They played two tracks from it (Lee Majors Come Again and B Boys In The Cut) yesterday during the BBC interview.

Download the interview here:

Part One: http://www.filedropper.com/camino200906231429

Part Two: http://www.filedropper.com/camino200906231445

Yeah it was a little disappointing that the 'premiere' of songs from the new album amounted to songs that're already out there. Although, the a capella version of 'In The Cut' was all we'd heard previously (save for the bad fan mixes the DJ mentioned). I was hoping for a studio version of the Nas tune - which is reportedly the first single, out July 21.

3. A club show occurs in Chicago on the 6th of August.

i am going to this.

This would be cool.

• 3 weeks later...