Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you ever see that "Classic Albums" episode on Machine Head? It's excellent. I DVR'd it and have watched it a number of times.

— The Paul Butterfield Blues Band.

— Chic.

— Deep Purple.

— Heart.

— Joan Jett and the Blackhearts.

— Albert King.

— Kraftwerk.

— The Marvelettes.

— The Meters.

— Randy Newman.

— N.W.A.

— Procul Harum.

— Public Enemy.

— Donna Summer.

— Rush.

If not even one of the bold make it in before or at the same time as Rush does, I will be largely disappointed with Rush's fan base as I already see just by looking online. There are opinions. And then sometimes, you're just wrong, inconsiderate, and naive.

I note that not ONE of the bolded selections could even remotely be considered Rock.

I'm sure Donna Summer will make it in...she's dead and Jann Wenner bats for the team now.

There are opinions. And then sometimes, you're just wrong, inconsiderate, and naive.

I'm SURE this will be seen again.

I still don't get putting rap and disco bands in there. It would be easy for me to say that sort of music does not mean anything to me - which it doesn't. But - I won't go with that reason. There must be some sort of guidelines or criteria they follow when nominating bands.

(I mean something besides time and influence.)

I tend to agree with ya, but as long as it is what it is PE & NWA should be there. Probably my 2 favorite bands of that genre. I have a doc on PE "Welcome to the Terrordome" that is fantastic. And a bit scary.

• 2 months later...

Today is the day the inductees for 2013 are going to be the announced. So far - I have read that Public Enemy and Donna Summer are on the list.

That is the leak so far.....Big Question is Rush I think...50/50.  I would like to see Kraftwerk.

Is Mozart in the Classical Music Hall of Fame? I'm really pulling for him. He was good.

Hell, put him in the Rock and roll hall of fame. There seems to be no limit to how wide the umbrella is. Country, Rap, R&B, Disco, it's all rock and roll!

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-2013-inductees-rush-public-enemy-heart-and-randy-newman-20121211

Inductees:
Rush
Public Enemy
Heart
Randy Newman

Albert King
Donna Summer

Quincy Jones (late edit)

Lou Adler (late edit)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35TbGjt-weA
Approrpriate response to Kraftwerk not making it, but somehow Rush gets there.

This is a good start.

"We are honored to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The 3 of us are especially appreciative of our loyal fans whose support and dedication has gone a long way to making this possible. P.S. And special thanks to our moms for voting 6000 times!" - Alex, Geddy, & Neil

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-2013-inductees-rush-public-enemy-heart-and-randy-newman-20121211

Inductees:

Rush

Public Enemy

Heart

Randy Newman

Albert King

Donna Summer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35TbGjt-weA

Approrpriate response to Kraftwerk not making it, but somehow Rush gets there.

You really don't think Rush deserves it...I do and I am not a huge fan, but they have done many good things, great songs, longevity same lineup, great live shows even into old age,...Prog rock needs more in...Yes for Sure.  I think it is a good pick for the HOF.

I think Kraftwerk will have their day...

You really don't think Rush deserves it...I do and I am not a huge fan, but they have done many good things, great songs, longevity same lineup, great live shows even into old age,...Prog rock needs more in...Yes for Sure.  I think it is a good pick for the HOF.

I know I'm going to get blown up here by Rush fans but I always thought a Hall of Fame was supposed to recognize the best of the best.  To make the Hall, I would think an artist would need to be influential in way that makes them essential to Rock, either by having a body of work that is considered essential or influencing bands that go on to be essential.  I dont think Rush qualify on either count.  They seem like nice guys and a lot of people like them and they certainly have longevity but to me that doesnt equal greatness.  There are a lot of players that played a particular sport for a long time; that doesnt mean they deserve to be in a Hall of Fame.

As the rest of you I have some major issues with the HOF but I think the broadness of the scope is not such a bad thing.  I think they draw the line at Barry Manilow and or Barbara Streisand.

I don't lose sleep over it. But call it the music hall of fame or something if there is no real boundary.

I think Rush easily deserves a spot. Huge influence on people learning to play bass, guitar, and drums.

Plus longevity, record sales, etc. I believe they are what use to be called a "people's band". You either get it, or you don't. It may also have something to do with age. I'm an old man, so I like Rush. Of course, I did when I was a young man also.

I'm not a rap fan, but the song Public Enemy did with Anthrax is cool - Bring The Noise.

I know I'm going to get blown up here by Rush fans but I always thought a Hall of Fame was supposed to recognize the best of the best.  To make the Hall, I would think an artist would need to be influential in way that makes them essential to Rock, either by having a body of work that is considered essential or influencing bands that go on to be essential.  I dont think Rush qualify on either count.  They seem like nice guys and a lot of people like them and they certainly have longevity but to me that doesnt equal greatness.  There are a lot of players that played a particular sport for a long time; that doesnt mean they deserve to be in a Hall of Fame.

Rush unquestionably deserve it. Easily the most influential and successful prog rock band ever. Not a whole lot of prog bands are essential, since it's such a niche genre, but they were a major influence on the most recognizable more modern prog bands. I think they're only behind Elvis for consecutive gold albums, and I bet they'd pass him if you didn't count repackaged material.

They have done good things, some great songs, some longevity, some actual talent, some great live shows.  But I don't think they have the spark that makes them worthy of HOF.  I have nothing against progressive rock, and I'm happy Pink Floyd has made it, though it shouldn't even be a forethought.  My main gripe is with the fans that think Rush invented and defined progressive rock, because they didn't.

The Beatles.  Pet Shop Boys.  Pink Floyd.  Led Zeppelin.  The Who.

There's nothing wrong with borrowing heavily from other bands, as long as you unearth something refreshing out of it.  But the argument that Rush was there first is asinine.  It just shows you're a biased fan rather than an objective fan.

I think Kraftwerk deserved the recognition for their pioneering work in experimenting with electronic instruments, soon finding its influence seeping into pop and rock worldwide.  But to clarify, I don't think I should say that Rush doesn't belong in the HOF, but rather it's not their time yet, even after this supposedly long wait.  Kraftwerk has left us a beautiful legacy active musicians, a beautiful discography, and an undeniable influence on pop and rock music.