Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

You really don't think Rush deserves it...I do and I am not a huge fan, but they have done many good things, great songs, longevity same lineup, great live shows even into old age,...Prog rock needs more in...Yes for Sure.  I think it is a good pick for the HOF.

I think Kraftwerk will have their day...

Why Kraftwerk and not Die Toten Hosen?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, by those criteria, I sure don't understand how Public Enemy would make the list either. By the way, did they ever do anything even remotely resembling an actual rock song? Not arguing with anyone, just asking...

As someone else said, probably should be called a music HOF or something like that. I dont really care for PE or rap in general but from what I know about them, they were hugely influential and deserve inclusion

Plus longevity, record sales, etc. I believe they are what use to be called a "people's band". You either get it, or you don't. It may also have something to do with age. I'm an old man, so I like Rush. Of course, I did when I was a young man also.

I'm not a rap fan, but the song Public Enemy did with Anthrax is cool - Bring The Noise.

I'm an old man too, I liked Rush some in Jr High but they didnt stick with me. Other than a few songs on moving pictures and signals (I was in Jr high when those records came out) i never got it with them, they basically seemed to make the same record over and over. If by being a peoples band you mean that people like them and critics don't, i would agree with that. Funny that Led Zep were hated by critics at first but the critics eventually came around. That never happened, and probably never will with Rush

Rush unquestionably deserve it. Easily the most influential and successful prog rock band ever. Not a whole lot of prog bands are essential, since it's such a niche genre, but they were a major influence on the most recognizable more modern prog bands. I think they're only behind Elvis for consecutive gold albums, and I bet they'd pass him if you didn't count repackaged material.

Not trying to be argumentative but who did they influence that anyone really cares about? I would also say that Pink Floyd and probably Yes are more influential in Floyd's case and successful in Yes' case.

What a really odd discussion.

Rush doesn't belong in the RnRHOF?

Kraftwerk does?

Nobody says anything about DONNA SUMMER getting  in?

NWA gets in...that means that joke Flava Flav get in...

Deep Purple got passed over also. I suppose it's a never ending deal - we all have in mind who we think should be in there.

I only know a little bit about Kraftwork. Not my cup of tea, really. So I can't speak to their worth.

Not trying to be argumentative but who did they influence that anyone really cares about? I would also say that Pink Floyd and probably Yes are more influential in Floyd's case and successful in Yes' case.

Metallica

Primus

Police

Tool

Dream Theater

Smashing Pumpkins

Pink Floyd has some prog elements, but I put them closer to Zeppelin or The Who than bands like Yes or King Crimson. I think Yes and King Crimson both belong in there, but I'd disagree with anybody saying they are more influential than Rush and I haven't checked sales or attendance numbers but they don't seem as successful.

Well, by those criteria, I sure don't understand how Public Enemy would make the list either. By the way, did they ever do anything even remotely resembling an actual rock song? Not arguing with anyone, just asking...

i saw them two weeks ago.

if you were with me, and saw them do "Bring Tha Noize" you wouldn't be asking this question.

edit - maybe now that Flavor Flav has learned to play an instrument, it qualifies as rock?

p1321248470-4.jpg

Nobody on the list seems ridiculous to me, but the one I'm beyond thrilled about is Randy Newman. I can't believe he hasn't been inducted before, but better late than never. He's a singular talent, a real musical original. People who know him only from his movie soundtracks and maybe "Short People" are really missing out.

first, goes without saying that we "DONT CARE" about the RnR HOF. like the Grammys. we know it's political/popularity contest for industry douches..... that said...

not a huge massive Rush fanboy... but i like them and think they are deserving.

as for Public Enemy....

P.E. prolly had more electric guitars on their records than ABBA and some other bollocks in the HOF. obviously plenty of pop, hiphop, blues, etc. have already gone in the hall. considering PE's towering influence and innovation, along with the fact that they were practically defined by a "rebellious spirit," they certainly qualify.

a few others who should probably be in:

Big Star
Stevie Ray Vaughan
The Replacements
SONIC YOUTH
Gram Parsons
Dire Straits
Black Flag

Warren Zevon

first, goes without saying that we "DONT CARE" about the RnR HOF. like the Grammys. we know it's political/popularity contest for industry douches..... that said...

not a huge massive Rush fanboy... but i like them and think they are deserving.

as for Public Enemy....

P.E. prolly had more electric guitars on their records than ABBA and some other bollocks in the HOF. obviously plenty of pop, hiphop, blues, etc. have already gone in the hall. considering PE's towering influence and innovation, along with the fact that they were practically defined by a "rebellious spirit," they certainly qualify.

a few others who should probably be in:

Big Star

Stevie Ray Vaughan

The Replacements

SONIC YOUTH

Gram Parsons

Dire Straits

Black Flag

Warren Zevon

IMO....SRV Gram Warren Dire are the only in group that has a chance...SRV will get in and Gram will get in...the others not so sure.

Let's be honest, Sonic Youth really isn't that good. 

Reported.

Jerk.

I don't care for them myself. I would be surprised if Gram Parsons ever gets in there.

Gram is certainly deserving.

I think Gram is borderline or better for sure and seems to have some friends in high places....Sonic Youth did have some influence for sure but I just don't see it, maybe in many years.

I wish I could look ahead 20 years and see if our boys (WILCO) get in.

Primus, Smashing Pumpkins, Metallica, and about a million bedroom musicians.