Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen what you listen to.  :headbonk

yeah but aren't you from the South?

you aren't supposed to get art.

:lol  Is Toby Keith up for the Hall of Fame?  He should be a shoo-in whenever he's eligible.

Interestingly, I've actually never considered Texas to be in the South.  Maybe East Texas, I guess.

I've seen what you listen to.  :headbonk

yeah but aren't you from the South?

you aren't supposed to get art.

Heh. I've tried listening to them and just don't really like it. Like any art, it's open to like or dislike. I respect them and all and they seem cool enough. I've also seen them live a few times, once to open for Neil Young and they were pretty much put in their place (which imo is overrated) after NY took the stage and showed them what distorted-guitar art-Rock sounds like.

It would be great if they got Billy to do the induction speech.

Why would you...

Are you trying to raze the Earth?

What is wrong with you?

Why would you want Billy Corgan to try articulate his crazy rambling thoughts?

Just let him go back to trying to make music and reclaim his legacy, lost long ago.

On a separate note, I might not love Rush, but they're some extremely talented musicians.  The same applies for the members of Sonic Youth: Lee Ranaldo and Steve Shelley are just amazing to watch.  It's just harder for you to pay attention under the different tunings, signatures, and noise.

Heh. I've tried listening to them and just don't really like it. Like any art, it's open to like or dislike. I respect them and all and they seem cool enough. I've also seen them live a few times, once to open for Neil Young and they were pretty much put in their place (which imo is overrated) after NY took the stage and showed them what distorted-guitar art-Rock sounds like.

i was just busting balls, but Neil and SY go into distorted guitar from completely different angles. I think Neil still hews to the standard tunings and traditional song structures (aside from the feedback freeform of "Arc" and when is the last time you listened to it?), whereas SY does something completely different.

Why would you...

Are you trying to raze the Earth?

What is wrong with you?

Why would you want Billy Corgan to try articulate his crazy rambling thoughts?

Just let him go back to trying to make music and reclaim his legacy, lost long ago.

On a separate note, I might not love Rush, but they're some extremely talented musicians.  The same applies for the members of Sonic Youth: Lee Ranaldo and Steve Shelley are just amazing to watch.  It's just harder for you to pay attention under the different tunings, signatures, and noise.

I'm not a Smashing Pumpkins fan, but Billy did a great job in the Rush documentary. I gained a new respect for him.

Someone close to Corgan really needs to stage an intervention regarding his Uncle Fester look.

And are those moobs on him?! Whoa!

Let's be honest, Sonic Youth really isn't that good. 

At this point, I agree.  I liked them around the time of Goo/Dirty/Washing Machine (and much of their earlier stuff), but ultimately, their music doesn't hold up very well. 

Black Flag should be in because they basically invented a nationwide touring circuit (arguably international) that never existed for punk bands.  By doing that,  their influence is immesurable and one of the greatest and most important things that has ever happened for live music.

At this point, I agree.  I liked them around the time of Goo/Dirty/Washing Machine (and much of their earlier stuff), but ultimately, their music doesn't hold up very well. 

nonsense. i listened to Goo the other day and it's still great. EVOL is their best record, and Sister is not far behind. 

Black Flag should be in because they basically invented a nationwide touring circuit (arguably international) that never existed for punk bands.  By doing that,  their influence is immesurable and one of the greatest and most important things that has ever happened for live music.

SY was arguably just as influential as Black Flag. i think BF should be in there as well.

Bon Jovi

I bet they will get in some day. I think they are terrible, but they are one of the few bands from the 80s that still sell a lot of tickets and albums. They have a rather large following. And Jon is smart. He is going for the country thing now - like some other former rock stars.

I bet they will get in some day. I think they are terrible, but they are one of the few bands from the 80s that still sell a lot of tickets and albums. They have a rather large following. And Jon is smart. He is going for the country thing now - like some other former rock stars.

didn't that country start way back when w/ "Wanted Dead Or Alive"?

i agree, that band is terrible.

nonsense. i listened to Goo the other day and it's still great. EVOL is their best record, and Sister is not far behind. 

I'd probably agree with that. I don't know,  at some point they got stuck in a formula, and they haven't been able to shake out of it for well over a deacde.  There's a lot of good work in their catalog, but they've become a band that's easy to leave behind. 

Bon Jovi

They'll be in within five years.  I'll put money on that.

I'd probably agree with that. I don't know,  at some point they got stuck in a formula, and they haven't been able to shake out of it for well over a decade.  There's a lot of good work in their catalog, but they've become a band that's easy to leave behind. 

i know it's extremely difficult to shake from one's set formula. even given the career twists and turns of someone like say, Neil Young, has he really done anything that stylistically different over the last couple of decades?

i'd be interested in hearing people's opinions on what bands have successfully moved on from their earlier sound. i'd toss out a couple of maybes:

Paul Weller

Melvins

i know it's extremely difficult to shake from one's set formula. even given the career twists and turns of someone like say, Neil Young, has he really done anything that stylistically different over the last couple of decades?

Neil is another one who at this point is very easy to leave behind.  He was one of my favorite musicians ever, and at one time his music inspired me in profound ways, but I can't remember the last time I had the desire to listen to him.

i'd be interested in hearing people's opinions on what bands have successfully moved on from their earlier sound. i'd toss out a couple of maybes:

Paul Weller

Melvins

It's pretty rare.  It's tough enough for a band to come up with a good sound in the first place.  Wilco evolved successfully, King Crimson did it a couple times, but now are just kind of annoying.    Bowie made a career of it, with more artistic successes than failures.

Paul Weller

Melvins

Grateful Dead

didn't that country start way back when w/ "Wanted Dead Or Alive"?

i agree, that band is terrible.

You know what I mean - like that dude from Hootie and The Blowfish. They are going for the country market. Although, I have to say this new country music is pretty lame. But - it sells.

I remember when Bon Jovi was a hair metal band.