Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

I would definitely love to see Paul Weller and Warren Zevon both get in. Dire Straits too.

Bon Jovi sucks, but might get the nomination some day when they are scraping the bottom of the barrel and/or trying to determine whether they should change the name to Rock and Roll/Rap/Hip-Hop Hall of Fame after they let in about thirty more "influential" rappers.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had many arguments on here with people regarding my utter disdain for the rap/hip-hop genre, and I know better than to derail a thread with another one. My opinion (you are all free to disagree) is that the R&R HOF should always have been reserved for rock, and I am not thrilled with them inducting rappers, country stars, old disco groups, or anyone else who isn't a rocker, though obviously it's none of my business what they do. As for Chuck D and other rappers, I wouldn't presume to know what their influence on rappers has been, but I would hope their influence on rock has been pretty negligible.

I am completely fine with Rappers being in the rock and roll museum as I do think they have had a big influence on rock music. Rage against the machine, Linkin Park, Blondie, The Clash, and most importantly Limp Bizkit.

Now when the hell are they going to induct Schooly D?

I am completely fine with Rappers being in the rock and roll museum as I do think they have had a big influence on rock music. Rage against the machine, Linkin Park, Blondie, The Clash, and most importantly Limp Bizkit. Now when the hell are they going to induct Schooly D?

Well, there you go, that proves my point. Their influence on the rock I listen to has been pretty negligible. :lol Although I must admit that I am only aware of one Blondie tune that has rap in it...there may be many more that I have never heard.

Well, there you go, that proves my point. Their influence on the rock I listen to has been pretty negligible. :lol Although I must admit that I am only aware of one Blondie tune that has rap in it...there may be many more that I have never heard.

I think Rapture is the only one. I think it was the first song to reach Number 1 to feature rapping.

Neil is another one who at this point is very easy to leave behind.  He was one of my favorite musicians ever, and at one time his music inspired me in profound ways, but I can't remember the last time I had the desire to listen to him.

Psychedelic Pill. If you like Neil with Crazy Horse, and I know that lots of Neil fans do not, but if you do, give this release a listen or two. I am loving it.

Dang, looks like I stuttered above you Moss..... Did you get Ogden Furthur tix?

Nah, stupid work got in the way of my ticket buying. I meant to excuse myself from a meeting but blew it. Gratz on getting them. I will plan to see them in Broomfield as usual.

Ok, maybe we blame rap for Limp Bizkit and take away a few points.

Psychedelic Pill. If you like Neil with Crazy Horse, and I know that lots of Neil fans do not, but if you do, give this release a listen or two. I am loving it.

Yeah, I need to check this out.  His work with Crazy Horse is usually my favorite.  I'm glad they're back together.  All that Prarie Wind crap and the terrible Living With War was making him toxic.

I wish I could look ahead 20 years and see if our boys (WILCO) get in.

Went to the Hall on Saturday - Jeff's Wllco (on the neck) acoustic guitar, Nudie suit, and a Jay Bennett's beat up SG were on display. All of this has been part of a "Midwest Rockers" exhibit since the beginning of the year - if I read about it before, I forgot, because I was surprised to see it there.

• 1 month later...

This is sort of a joke, I think (although it is straight form Billboard.com):

Foo Fighters Dave Grohl and Taylor Hawkins, the Eagles' Don Henley, Christina Aguilera, John Mayer, Jennifer Hudson and Gary Clark, Jr. are the first presenters and performers announced for this year's 28th Annual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony, taking place April 18 at the Nokia Theatre L.A. LIVE in Los Angeles.

Grohl and Hawkins will induct Rush, while Mayer will induct the late Albert King, then join Clark for a performance in King's honor. Henley, a 1998 inductee with the Eagles, will do the honors for Randy Newman, and Aguilera and Hudson will perform in honor of the late Donna Summer. More presenters and performers will be announced soon for the ceremony, the second time it's taken place in Los Angeles. Other inductees this year include Public Enemy and industry stalwarts Lou Adler and Quincy Jones.

I don't care for either one of those dudes - so that is about right to me.

I think one of worst inductions I can recall seeing (back when it was on VH1 and I could see it) was John Popper inducting Santana. As I recall, he rambled on about what sort of drugs he used or something like that. I am a big Santana fan (the original band, that is) and I felt his speech was not that great.

One of the most bizarre incidents I can recall watching is those dudes who were kicked out of Blondie begging Debbie Harry to let them play at the ceremony.

One of the most bizarre incidents I can recall watching is those dudes who were kicked out of Blondie begging Debbie Harry to let them play at the ceremony.

Yeah, that was uncomfortable. I kinda wish she had said, "Sure! Did you bring your gear? No? Do you remember your parts? No? Sorry..."

Also, the Mike Love rant.

Yeah, that was uncomfortable. I kinda wish she had said, "Sure! Did you bring your gear? No? Do you remember your parts? No? Sorry..."

Also, the Mike Love rant.

I never saw that - until Youtube came along.