Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chic was a disco band.  When did Hall and Oates become hip again and important?  I guess my point was that the Butterfield Blues Band was important in its time.  Some of these other artists, not so much.

LouieB

Yeah, Butterfield probably should get in this year.  They had a pretty major influence on a lot of things that soon followed...basically any band that had extended blues based guitar soloing.

I know, Hall & Oates? WTF.

Meanwhile Linda Ronstadt was also an important artist in her time, but despite her current health problems, few people are going to consider her MOR career that important these days (I sure dug her way back when though.) 

The R&R Hall is somewhat pathetic I think.  Sorry, there is nothing about Kiss that seems to deserve recognition, but that's just me.  Never was a fan.

LouieB

Meanwhile Linda Ronstadt was also an important artist in her time, but despite her current health problems, few people are going to consider her MOR career that important these days (I sure dug her way back when though.) 

The R&R Hall is somewhat pathetic I think.  Sorry, there is nothing about Kiss that seems to deserve recognition, but that's just me.  Never was a fan.

LouieB

Sadly enough, I believe Kiss is in the lead in the Rolling Stone voting, while The Replacement is running dead last and don't even have 4% of the vote yet. I think Nirvana is running second behind Kiss or is tied. But then I guess no one has ever gone broke or failed under-estimating the crappyness concerning the tastes of the general American public.

name recognition, that's all.

i think Kiss definitely had more an impact on rock music than Westerberg et al did. Sure, they never wrote anything nearly as good as "Unsatisfied" but that's not the point here, is it? hell, if we are just going off songwriting, Robyn Hitchcock should have been in years ago.

It would be a kick to see the Replacements get in.  After a certain point, all the originators and innovators are going to be voted in, leaving nooks and crannies of rock and roll left to acknowledge.  Even Cheap Trick, while a fun band, was never earth shaking in their originality or importance.  They could have just as easily disappeared after a few years. 

LouieB

They should have been in a long time ago. KISS are one of the biggest American bands of all times. Really, they are what rock and roll is all about. I suppose I am a bit biased, I have been listening to them since 1976.

Having kind of a slow day at work, so I have been looking back at the past inductees.  Many are not musicians and many were not even rock and roll (whatever that means) musicians.  So hey why not the Replacements, Robyn Hitchcock, Cheap Trick or Hall and Oates?  At some point they will be scraping to find anyone who even remotely has any connection.  How many more years until Wilco can be inducted. 

LouieB

Hey Kiss is fine.  They are what rock and roll is about.  Really I could care less who gets in.  After all some folks are in multiple times for being in groups and being individuals.  Can they let Paul McCartney in one more time?

LouieB

Sorry, don't mean to disrespect KISS, but I think the HOF should educate - turn people on to bands they have never heard before and experience the joy of dicovering music they never knew about. I mean I remember the excitement of discovering artists I never heard before but had been around for awhile . Maybe they should have a separate wing for the greatest artists that were commercal failures

Sorry, don't mean to disrespect KISS, but I think the HOF should educate - turn people on to bands they have never heard before and experience the joy of dicovering music they never knew about. I mean I remember the excitement of discovering artists I never heard before but had been around for awhile . Maybe they should have a separate wing for the greatest artists that were commercal failures

I suppose everyone has in their mind what the deal is all about. I believe I think of "how big a band was", "original sound (i.e The Cars)", "longevity" and maybe a few other things.  What I listen to, and who I am into is probably very narrow compared to a lot of people here. But - I love KISS and I am also down with the Velvet Underground.

And also don't forget how big the KISS Army is - those people are probably driving up the votes.

I can tell you that I was a teenager in the early 1980s, and I hate Hall & Oates.

Now I am remembering that Christmas video they made.

If Deep Purple gets in, it will be interesting to see who shows up. Since Gillian and Blackmore hate each other - I don't see them on stage together. Oddly enough, the photo Rhino has up at Facebook shows the Coverdale/Bolin line-up.

The Deep Purple re-masters from some years back are really nice - full of liner notes, and extra tracks. Like the great song - When A Blind Man Cries. Deep Purple is another one of those bands I have been into since I was a kid. I think I learned about them about the same time I learned of The Kinks.

Has anybody even ever heard a Deep Purple tune? 

Listen to the albums Machine Head or Made in Japan.

Highway Star, Woman From Tokyo, Space Trucking.

Oh wait, we're you joking?