Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose everyone has in their mind what the deal is all about. I believe I think of "how big a band was", "original sound (i.e The Cars)", "longevity" and maybe a few other things.  What I listen to, and who I am into is probably very narrow compared to a lot of people here. But - I love KISS and I am also down with the Velvet Underground.

And also don't forget how big the KISS Army is - those people are probably driving up the votes.

I can tell you that I was a teenager in the early 1980s, and I hate Hall & Oates.

I'm not an H&O fan either.

However, I remember the excitement I felt when I discovered even names that eventually became big in the 70's: David Bowie, ELP... even Elton John, John Denver and, yes, Cat Stevens.

But I also remember hearing about REM & the Replacements in the 80's - and getting my first taste of Paul Westerberg when my step-daughter took me to see the movie "Singles".

Those were great times.

I probably would have never really discovered the Jayhawks, Wilco, Fountains of Wayne, Mathew Sweet or Big Star if it wasn't for Napster in  the 00's.

Just wish HOF could provide that opportunity to generations to come.

I'm not an H&O fan either.

However, I remember the excitement I felt when I discovered even names that eventually became big in the 70's: David Bowie, ELP... even Elton John, John Denver and, yes, Cat Stevens.

But I also remember hearing about REM & the Replacements in the 80's - and getting my first taste of Paul Westerberg when my step-daughter took me to see the movie "Singles".

Those were great times.

I probably would have never really discovered the Jayhawks, Wilco, Fountains of Wayne, Mathew Sweet or Big Star if it wasn't for Napster in  the 00's.

Just wish HOF could provide that opportunity to generations to come.

That's interesting. I'm not much for the 80s, besides metal bands, R.E.M., and U2 (and some others I can't think of at the moment.)

I can't recall how I got to alt-country. That's probably the last "new musical genre" I will ever get into. I suppose I champion these old dinosaur bands from the 60s-70s because that is about all I listen to anymore.

Whenever these announcements come out I like to look around at other message boards I frequent and see what they say. Sometimes they are about what we post here, sometimes vastly different.

The Meters were pretty influential and Zigaboo Modeliste is definitely one of the greatest drummers ever. as well as having the best name.

I would add that George Porter Jr. is one of the greatest bass players ever.  And highly influential.  The Meters basically wrote the book on New Orleans funk in the late '60's/ early '70's, and their original sound has been an inspiration for untold musicians/bands to follow.   Funk music has been part of the "rock n roll" sound ever since, I can not think of a band more worthy of entry.  They probably won't get in, but there should be no doubt that The Meters are worthy.  At least not to me.

I would add that George Porter Jr. is one of the greatest bass players ever.  And highly influential.  The Meters basically wrote the book on New Orleans funk in the late '60's/ early '70's, and their original sound has been an inspiration for untold musicians/bands to follow.   Funk music has been part of the "rock n roll" sound ever since, I can not think of a band more worthy of entry.  They probably won't get in, but there should be no doubt that The Meters are worthy.  At least not to me.

I think they'll be one of the easy picks and are almost certain to get in.   Same goes for Link Wray.   It'll be a major black eye on the credibility of the Hall if these two don't make it. 

The Meters, sure, why not.  But Link Wray?  Okay so he had one hit, Rumble, and had a broken amp that he played it through.  Maybe things are getting a bit thin for whom to honor, I dunno. 

Meanwhile the museum is pretty cool, but when I visited well over 10 years ago there was no real Hall of Fame, not like there is a country music hall of fame (or baseball) with plaques and shit.  I thought that part was pretty lame. Maybe it is better now.

LouieB

Nobody's really ever heard of "Link Wray," though....

Most years, there are legacy acts that get nominated that are not particularly well known to the public.  How well knwon someone is is not the criteria for induction.   What's with the quotation marks?

The Meters, sure, why not.  But Link Wray?  Okay so he had one hit, Rumble, and had a broken amp that he played it through.  Maybe things are getting a bit thin for whom to honor, I dunno. 

LouieB

I'm surprised to hear you, of all people, say this.

I feel somewhat bad saying this, but I've been thinking of doing some weeding of my record collection and I think I'm going to start by getting rid of most of my Deep Purple records.   I like them OK, but I never, ever listen to them and I'm all out of room.

Most years, there are legacy acts that get nominated that are not particularly well known to the public.  How well knwon someone is is not the criteria for induction.   What's with the quotation marks?

I was insinuating that the term/band/person known as "Link Wray" was either made up or so unrecognizable to most humans that it seems made up.

As to what the criteria for induction to the HOF is: I don't think even the people who do the nominations/voting/decision-making really know or have a set of criteria they go by.

I was insinuating that the term/band/person known as "Link Wray" was either made up or so unrecognizable to most humans that it seems made up.

As to what the criteria for induction to the HOF is: I don't think even the people who do the nominations/voting/decision-making really know or have a set of criteria they go by.

I would think the criteria is "What did this person or band do that was important in the history of rock and roll?"

The answer is "He is credited as the inventer of the power chord. A guitar playing technique used in virtually every punk and heavy metal song."   That's an immesurable influence.  He also had an instrumental song banned because people thought it would incite violence.  There has never been anything more rock and roll that that.

Now, tell me what did Cat Stevens (who I like to listen to sometimes, btw) do to earn an induction?  Or Hall & Oates (ditto)?  Or, hell, The Replacements?

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Criteria (Terry Stewart):

Nomination and induction into the Hall of Fame is not about popularity, records sales, which label the group is on, or anything other than the process below. The love for, the evaluation of, and the impact of any artist are subjective questions to be answered by the nominators and the voters. Unlike baseball, football, basketball or hockey, statistics are not relevant. Please read below:

The entire nomination and induction process is coordinated by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation in New York City. Individuals can be inducted in four categories: Performer, Early Influence, Non-Performer and Side-Men. The only formal criteria for the performance category is that an artist has to have had their first record 25 years ago. That said, candidates are reviewed and discussed relative to their impact on this music that we broadly call rock and roll. The innovation and influence of these artists is also critical. Gold records, number one hits, and million sellers are really not appropriate standards for evaluation.

With that overview, here’s how the process works. Nomination and induction into the Hall of Fame is not about popularity, records sales, which label the group is on, or anything other than the process below. Unlike baseball, football, basketball or hockey, statistics are not relevant. To be eligible for induction as an artist (as a performer, composer, or musician) into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the artist must have released a record, in the generally accepted sense of that phrase, at least 25 years prior to the year of induction; and have demonstrated unquestionable musical excellence. We shall consider factors such as an artist’s musical influence on other artists, length and depth of career and the body of work, innovation and superiority in style and technique, but musical excellence shall be the essential qualification for induction.