Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In defense of the Replacements:

They were really never hard core, or even punk, when that was all that mattered in indie.  Paul Westerberg could turn a phrase or melt you heart like no songwriter from the 80s.  Their music still sounds vibrant and alive much more than, say, R.E.M.  Their live shows were unpredictable, spontaneous, drunken messes.  Perfect rock and roll attitude.

This says nothing of their influence on the artists who followed, probably none more than Wilco.

• 1 month later...

Who got in this time:

Peter Gabriel, Hall & Oates, Cat Stevens and the E Street Band will also be inducted April 10 at Brooklyn's Barclays Center

First-time nominee Nirvana and some long-neglected icons -- KISS, Linda Ronstadt, Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band -- will be inducted as the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's class of 2014 on April 10 at Brooklyn's Barclays Center.

Nirvana, Kiss and Ronstadt will be joined by Peter Gabriel, Daryl Hall & John Oates and Cat Stevens in the Performers category. The E Street Band, which many felt should have been inducted with Springsteen in 1999, will receive the Award for Music Excellence, while Beatles manager Brian Epstein and Rolling Stones manager and producer Andrew Loog Oldham will be presented with Ahmet Ertegun Awards or non-performers. KISS, whose absence has been widely protested by fans, was reportedly the top vote-getter in the fan vote for the Rock Hall, snagging 17.2 percent of the nearly 1.4 million votes cast while Nirvana was second at 15.69 percent. The fan vote was cast as an additional ballot alongside the more than 700 professional votes.

The 2014 ceremony will be the Rock Hall's first in Brooklyn after previous inductions were held at the Waldorf Astoria hotel and also the first in the New York area to be open to the public. Tickets will go on sale to the public in January, with a pre-sale for members of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame + Museum starting at 11:59 p.m. on Dec. 31. Details are available at www.rockhall.com. The ceremony will be filmed by HBO for broadcast in May. Additionally, the museum in Cleveland will be opening a special exhibit dedicated to the 2014 inductees early in the new year.

Surprised at Cat Stevens getting in over Yes or DP or NWA and Hall and Oates is a bit of a surprise....all deserving this year.

Be intersting to see the Nirvana performance and Cat and if Linda will show.  Early rumnlings that Grohl is not going to show...I seriously doubt that.

Glad to see E Street...should have included the Wailers too (bet next year for them).

WHAT IN THE FUCK DOES A BAND HAVE TO DO TO GET INTO THAT SHITHOLE HALL OF SHAME? Purple, Yes...those bands filled stadiums! They ARE Classic Rock! Sorry, but Hall and Fucking Oates over Yes or DP? It's ridiculous.

There's no doubt in my mind that if Rolling Stone didn't get it's start in SF in '67 The Dead wouldn't be in there either. 

Whoever votes on this stuff should be savagely beaten with a crowbar. Yes, I'm pissed. I'll never visit that House of Ill Repute in this lifetime. 

Surprised at Cat Stevens getting in over Yes or DP or NWA and Hall and Oates is a bit of a surprise....all deserving this year.

Be intersting to see the Nirvana performance and Cat and if Linda will show.  Early rumnlings that Grohl is not going to show...I seriously doubt that.

Glad to see E Street...should have included the Wailers too (bet next year for them).

I can't wait for Nirvana's induction...I'm sure Courtney will make it ALL about her.

WHAT IN THE FUCK DOES A BAND HAVE TO DO TO GET INTO THAT SHITHOLE HALL OF SHAME? Purple, Yes...those bands filled stadiums! They ARE Classic Rock! Sorry, but Hall and Fucking Oates over Yes or DP? It's ridiculous.

There's no doubt in my mind that if Rolling Stone didn't get it's start in SF in '67 The Dead wouldn't be in there either. 

Whoever votes on this stuff should be savagely beaten with a crowbar. Yes, I'm pissed. I'll never visit that House of Ill Repute in this lifetime. 

I feel your pain but IMO all that get in this year deserve, not to say there are handfulls that should be in and will eventually get in (the 2 you speak, Chicago, Moody's, Cheap, Cars, Cure, Devo, Tull, Zevon, WIllie...just so many others)  hard to just put in like 20 at 1 time.   Still shocked Chic didnt get in this year.  Lacking a certain mid 70s rock tone (Chicago, Miller, Doobies, Ted N, Grand Funk, Journey, Boston.....).  Remember that the Nom committee puts up 15 or so and only 5-7 getting voted...the voters are around 600-700 most of them in HOF (musicians that have got previously inducted).

I am planning on another day trip there to see the Stones exhibit. My 4 year still talks about the Pink Floyd Wall' monster that we saw there when we went there for the Dead exhibit last December.

I think it's kinda of pointless to get upset about who or who doesn't get inducted (my humble opinion of course).

pink-floyd.jpg

As much as I LOATHE KISS and god knows I do, why are they not performing??

Where did you read that they are not performing? The story on Yahoo has this:

[Peter] Criss last toured with the band in 2003 and hopes to be asked to perform with the other three founding members at the induction ceremony

http://news.yahoo.com/nirvana-kiss-peter-gabriel-headed-152540436.html 

I think Linda got the pity vote or something.  No way she should get in ahead of others that have already been mentioned.  And certainly not over the Replacements!

I don't think so. Check out this excerpt from her career summary on Wikipedia:

Establishing her professional career in the mid-1960s at the forefront of California's emerging folk rockand country rock movements – genres which later defined post-1960s rock music – Ronstadt joined forces with Bobby Kimmel and Kenny Edwards and became the lead singer of a folk rock trio, The Stone Poneys. Later, as a solo artist, she released Hand Sown ... Home Grown in 1969, which has been described as the first alternative country record by a female recording artist.[23] Although fame eluded her during these years, Ronstadt actively toured with The DoorsNeil YoungJackson Browne and others, made numerous television show appearances, and began to contribute her voice to a variety of albums.

However, with the release of chart-topping albums such as Heart Like a WheelSimple Dreams, and Living in the USA, coupled with the fact that Ronstadt became the first female "arena class" rock star, she set records as one of the top-grossing concert artists of the decade.[24][25][26]Referred to as "First Lady of Rock"[15][27] and the "Queen of Rock", Ronstadt was voted the Top Female Pop Singer of the 1970s.[15] Her rock-and-roll image was equally as famous as her music, appearing six times on the cover of Rolling Stone, as well as Newsweek and Time covers.

She's the real deal.

No mats. Shocker.

When you spend your entire recording and performing career drunk off you asses and extending your middle finger to you audience (sloppy drunk live performances aren't cool)...the legend is greater than the actuality.