Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

We all have bands we think should be in there. James Hetfield has been talking about all the bands that should be in there - bands that made it possible for Metallica to exist in the first place.

Why the Rock Hall says: No Rush for you!

Prog rock gets ignored by the selection committee every year

By Tony Sclafani

msnbc.com contributor

updated 5:50 p.m. CT, Mon., March. 30, 2009

When the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame holds its annual induction ceremony April 4, there once again won

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

let me know when they recognize Genesis and Yes

until then, these people can go fuck themselves

:cheers

Wow, don't candy-coat it, tell us how you really feel?

Seriously, you can pooh-pooh the HOF all you want, but it is a very worthwhile tourist trap. I went a few years ago, while they had a whole floor devoted to Dylan's early days and influences. Great videos and films, including a 40-minute tribute to all the inductee -- most of the films are shown Woodstock-fashion with 3 screens. i had to be dragged out by my kids at the end of the day.

I went that summer when they had the dylan exhibit going up into the pointy portion of the display area. It was pretty cool. Right around the time that the No Direction Home Movie came out. They also had a small clash exhibit and in the permanent exhibits had the London Calling bass. Lots of neat stuff to see. The "inductee" video was cool too. It was a decent time. Argue all you want about who should or should not be a member (I happen to think they take way to many way too obscure 50's performers), but overall it does have some neat sh*t to see.

Much interesting debate here --

So what about Madonna -- I mean, c'mon. Marketing genius, yes. A few catchy tunes, but really. Is Prince in? I barely pay attention but the Cleveland Plain Dealer has been running articles every day for weeks.

What about Sonic Youth? Are they eligible yet?

Call me in 2019 when Wilco gets in. Or is eligible.

Madonna had more than a few catchy tunes. really opened a lot of doors for a lot of women artists. I'm not a huge madonna fan by any means, but i do think tracks like borderline and like a prayer are better than the best tracks by half the artists already in

Wanda Jackson rules. I've probably mentioned it before but I asked my Dad about her one time, "Do you know about Wanda Jackson? Ever listen to her?" and he came back with "Yeah, she's friends with Lucille (my aunt)." Apparently, Wanda and my aunt were homies and did some world traveling together along with Porter Wagner. Awesomeness.

Wanda Jackson rules. I've probably mentioned it before but I asked my Dad about her one time, "Do you know about Wanda Jackson? Ever listen to her?" and he came back with "Yeah, she's friends with Lucille (my aunt)." Apparently, Wanda and my aunt were homies and did some world traveling together along with Porter Wagner. Awesomeness.

Wanda Jackson does indeed rule! I saw her last year at an "E-Town" radio show taping and she was amazing.

Cleveland Rocks As Hall Of Fame Festivities Begin

Jeff Beck is in Cleveland for his Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction.

April 04, 2009 11:02 AM ET

Gary Graff, Cleveland

In the throes of Rock and Roll Hall of Fame mania, Cleveland was loaded with revelry on the night before Saturday's induction ceremony.

About 1,200 people turned out Friday night for an official VIP induction pre-party at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum, including inductees Bobby Womack -- who was mobbed by fans as he tried to enter with members of his family and barely made it past the lobby -- Spooner Oldham and DJ Fontana, the Connie Mizell-Perry, the mother of the late Run-DMC DJ Jam Master Jay, and former Beach Boy Al Jardine, who was squired around on a personal tour by Hall of Fame curator Howard Kramer. The attendees feasted at several food stations offering everything from sushi to beef filets and gourmet deserts and were able to view a new film about this year's inductees as well as a special display featuring musical instruments, clothing and other artifacts.

Dave Mason, inducted into the Hall in 2004 with Traffic, played an acoustic set that included the band's "Dear Mr. Fantasy" and his rendition of Bob Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower," while home town heroes the Raspberries paid tribute to the Who by covering "Substitute," then were joined by "Late Night with David Letterman" band bassist Will Lee for an encore set of Beatles songs ("Ticket to Ride," "Baby's in Black" and "No Reply") and another Who hit, "Can't Explain." Reggie Calloway of Midnight Star, meanwhile, made sure there was indeed "No Parking on the Dance Floor."

Across town, Metallica and the dozens of specially invited guests the band is hosting this weekend busted capacity at the House of Blues, while fellow inductees Little Anthony & the Imperials rocked through a long set at the Agora -- despite a shoudler injury Jerome "Little Anthony" Gourdine suffered while working ou Friday morning that necessitated a trip to the hospital.

Over at the Ritz-Carlton, where many of the inductors and presenters are staying, photographer Anton Corbin unwittingly held court in the lobby bar, visiting with Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page, who will inducted Jeff Beck and was returning from a visit to the museum, and with Metallica's James Hetfield and his family as they came down for an early dinner. Sound checks and rehearsals took place at the Cleveland Public Auditorium, where the ceremony will be held; Womack worked through a medley that will include "Across 110th Street" and "It's All Over Now," while Metallica had to wait into the evening until crew members could arrive from France on a delayed flight. There was no sound check for what's likely to be one of the night's highlights -- a jam on Tiny Bradshaw's "Train Kept A-Rollin' " with Metallica, the Rolling Stones' Ron Wood (who's inducting Womack) and Aerosmith's Joe Perry -- but Perry told Billboard.com "that's probably better. It'll be a little looser and...raw."

Saturday's ceremony marks the first time general public tickets, priced at $35 and $75, were sold for the ceremony; all 5,000 were scooped up by fans in Cleveland and from out of town. On the main floor, where tables ran $15,000-$50,000, VIPs will dine on barbecued shrimp-topped grilled corn cakes with roasted poblano sauce, shoestring potatoes and a dessert called Blue Forest -- flourless chocolate cake topped with kirsch whipped cream, brandied cherries and more chocolate sprayed with blue cocoa butter. A special vodka-based cocktail called Rhapsody in Blue will be served at the bar.

Madonna really opened a lot of doors for a lot of women artists.

How that?

You really don't see how that's possible? Madonna's career is like a how-to of reinvention and relevance (admittedly, not as much lately, but c'mon - almost 20 years of being savvy and talented enough to keep the hits coming).

Out of curiosity, is there a set of criteria for eligibilty other than time? I guess I mean, is it written down somewhere that these ten things are the hallmarks of a truly deserving artist to be included?

Found this on some blog -

The qualifications for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame simple. Any group or individual who has a demonstrable influence on Rock and Roll and have had released their first record 25 years ago. There are four categories: Performers, Non-Performers, Early Influences, and since 2000, Sidemen.

That "Train Kept A Rollin' " was uber-cool.

I've said it here many times, but Jeff Beck is one of the sickest guitarists that's ever lived.

That "Train Kept A Rollin' " was uber-cool.

I've said it here many times, but Jeff Beck is one of the sickest guitarists that's ever lived.

That's is for sure. There is nobody that even sounds close to him, a true original.

How that?

You really don't see how that's possible? Madonna's career is like a how-to of reinvention and relevance (admittedly, not as much lately, but c'mon - almost 20 years of being savvy and talented enough to keep the hits coming).

Well, I'd like to hear what was reinvented and relevant in the 80's and 90's from her, and to which women she opened doors, except for a lot of shit I can't stand on radios?

There were a lot of female artists more interesting than her in the eighties already. They were independent, and still are. They didn't market them as sort of pop bitches to make it big (for instance). Cyndi Lauper had more class than her in the showbiz. Sam Phillips, Jill Sobule never made it big but are still more interesting today. Lucinda Williams, Michelle Shocked obviously didn't wait for Madonna to open their doors, either.

Well, I'd like to hear what was reinvented and relevant in the 80's and 90's from her, and to which women she opened doors, except for a lot of shit I can't stand on radios?

There were a lot of female artists more interesting than her in the eighties already. They were independent, and still are. They didn't market them as sort of pop bitches to make it big (for instance). Cyndi Lauper had more class than her in the showbiz. Sam Phillips, Jill Sobule never made it big but are still more interesting today. Lucinda Williams, Michelle Shocked obviously didn't wait for Madonna to open their doors, either.

What difference does personal preference make in this conversation? None. None of your points are valid arguments against Madonna being influential and trailblazing.