Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

one side of my brain says "why on Earth would you care one little bit about who is in this arbitrary hall of fame thing?" and then the other part of my brain says "go ahead and click on that hall of fame thread."  I'm a mystery to me.

This is how I feel when I watch 2-3 minutes of those Lt. Joe Kenda shows on ID Discovery and in my mind commit to finishing the show....

I submit that the folks in charge at Rolling Stone don't care much for the Prog Rock genre, amongst others. It's not that bands/artists aren't "worthy," just that the inductees are voted on by a small sample of people. Kind of like how Ted Nugent never makes any Rolling Stone  "greatest guitarists" or whatever lists anymore because of the bullshit that comes out of his mouth.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of his politics, Ted ain't no top 100 guitarist. I mean Stranglehold is cool but cmon man.

Yeah, this is more along the line I was thinking, something "Greatest Rock Guitar Opening Riffs" or something. I've never listened to Nugent (save for radio shit) nor liked his stuff, but Rolling Stone stiff-arming him due to his "politics" kind of shows what they can do with HOF inductee process....

I really don't recall Ted being on any top 100 guitarist list on Rolling Stone going back as long as I can remember. I also recall that RS has never been a big fan of his even in the 70's, long before he became the guy he is today. So I don't think his politics are keeping him from anything, he's just never been in RS's radar.

• 6 months later...

This morning:

The site has added a section for the "2017 Nominees" that says check back Tuesday at 8 a.m. for the announcement. There are no other details. However, many expect the announcement to be made first on Rock Hall partner SiriusXM's new VOLUME radio channel, which premieres on Monday.

This year's newly eligible acts include Pearl Jam (a heavy favorite), rap icon Tupac Shakur, PJ Harvey, Alanis Morissette and more. Other previous nominees expected to receive heavy consideration are Janet Jackson, Chic, The Smiths, The Cars, Nine Inch Nails, Sting, Kraftwerk, Yes and The Spinners.

Bad Brains
The Cars
Chaka Khan
Chic
Depeche Mode
Electric Light Orchestra
J. Geils Band
Jane’s Addiction
Janet Jackson
Joan Baez
Joe Tex
Journey
Kraftwerk
MC5
Pearl Jam
Steppenwolf
Tupac Shakur
Yes
The Zombies

Just turned on the XM channel and they are playing a Depeche Mode tune -- don't know if that means anything -- then they went into ELO, looks like they are just going down the list--- think I am going back to the Dead channel.  (I am a Depeche Mode fan, though).

Don't Let Me Down -- e-gads...

When I think of Rock and Roll Janet Jackson doesn't immediately come to mind. Its usually Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, Led Zeppelin...then Janet Jackson

How about Elmore James or Bessie Smith or Billie Holiday or ABBA ot John Lee Hooker?

The R&R hall of Fame is anything but.....

Does Jane's Addiction deserve it?  They produced very little noteworthy music and have been coasting for 10+ times longer than they were relevant.  Are they getting credit as a band for Lollapalooza?  Credit for that should go solely to Perry Ferrell (and whoever his business partners were) and not the band.

Does Jane's Addiction deserve it?  They produced very little noteworthy music and have been coasting for 10+ times longer than they were relevant.  Are they getting credit as a band for Lollapalooza?  Credit for that should go solely to Perry Ferrell (and whoever his business partners were) and not the band.

Richie Valens got in because of one tune.......

Richie Valens got in because of one tune.......

He actually has a bunch of great tunes, but the real reason he's in the HoF is because he was present for the most famous and tragic event in rock and roll history.

I don't get when people say this or that is not rock and roll.  Rock and Roll is not just 4 white guys (Guitar, Guitar, Bass, and Drums). 

In fact look at the fathers (James Brown, Chuck, Little Richard, Elvis.....) they would not fit the bill if they came out today.  What about Motown?  Muddy Waters?

It is really an attitude mixed with music.  If NWA is not rock and roll what is?

Not sure what the cutoff actually is (Barbara or Carpenters) but Hip Hip falls under this umbrella for sure.