Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

what?

How many non-English speaking bands are in the Rock-n-roll HOF? 

How many are on the ballot (Does Kraftwerk even have lyrics?) 

How many non-English speaking bands could you even make an argument for? Scorpions? Does that even count? Even they sing in English.

Who are you going to vote in, Taco?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there are tons of great bands from Germany, Japan and Scandinavia who i don't ever expect to see in the HoF, esp if someone like the Smiths can't get in.

so fuck those guys.

i took your statement as answering the question of What Is Rock and Roll?

It's an attitude (and language) mixed with music. 

Not many non-English speaking bands that merit consideration.

which is a ridiculous answer, if you think rock music needs to be sung in English.

and this board is seriously in need of a Kraftwerk primer.

He actually has a bunch of great tunes, but the real reason he's in the HoF is because he was present for the most famous and tragic event in rock and roll history.

Let's be honest on the tunes, though: most people know "La Bamba" and that's it. And yes about the plane wreck. Point on both being: the R&R HOF has an incredibly broad view of what merits acceptance. Jane's Addiction, just because they don't have a ton of material, are just as worthy of acceptance (or "deseve it"-ness) as a Richie Valens or an Abba or a Bobby Darin.

With Valens I personally think that had he not died or if he had not died with Buddy Holly he would have been a little remembered one hit wonder. I just don't see enough that makes me believe he would have had a sustainable career. Of course if Mr Rolling Stone liked Valens he would put him in the hall anyway.

That's just pure speculation and pure opinion on my part.

Check for yourself - no non-english speaking bands have ever been inducted.

https://www.rockhall.com/inductees

ABBA doesn't count - all their songs were English. Linda Ronstadt gets a tiny bit of credit for releasing Canciones de mi Padre (excellent album - check it out)

i am not doubting you.

all that says is that the RnRHoF is as big a steaming coil as we all figured it was.

but hey, Can isn't recognized but Green Day is. yeah, that makes sense.

Bad Brains (I doubt they will get in.)

The Cars (They should already be in there. I suppose they are mostly forgotten today.)

Chaka Khan (I doubt she will get in.)

Chic (Maybe they will?)

Depeche Mode (Still at it, maybe they will get in)

Electric Light Orchestra (Probably about the same as The Cars.)

J. Geils Band (Probably about the same as The Cars.)

Jane’s Addiction (One good album?)

Janet Jackson (I don’t get this one.)

Joan Baez (Should be in there – probably not really interested.)

Joe Tex (One of those early influence type deals)

Journey (Probably about the same as The Cars.)

Kraftwerk (Probably more important in Europe than here)

MC5 (More legend than band?)

Pearl Jam (One of the greatest bands of all times)

Steppenwolf (Once great – now it is one guy playing biker bars)

Tupac Shakur (I don’t know anything about this guy. Whenever I see people wearing a T-shirt with his photo on the front – I expect trouble)

Yes (One of the greatest bands of all times)

The Zombies (Should thank Al Kooper if they get in)

Jane’s Addiction (One good album?)

I think that there are at least 2 great albums—Nothing's Shocking and Ritual de Lo Habitual. And a 3rd that is very, very good (the live, self-titled one that came out before Nothing's Shocking).

I think that there are at least 2 great albums—Nothing's Shocking and Ritual de Lo Habitual. And a 3rd that is very, very good (the live, self-titled one that came out before Nothing's Shocking).

Yes. Still more prolific than one song....

I was wondering if Uncle Tupreo were eligible (yes, as of 2015), so I googled "uncle tupelo eligible rock and roll hall of fame" and the first hit was www.notinhalloffame.com I clicked on it and found this gem:

Uncle Tupelo will likely not get indicted, although its lead member, Jeff Tweedy has an excellent shot with his later effort, Wilco.

Ah, the internet, where anyone can be published. 

Uncle Tupelo will likely not get indicted, although its lead member, Jeff Tweedy has an excellent shot with his later effort, Wilco.

I do think that's a pretty fair assessment, nonetheless.

Jane's Addiction...the band with the song every bass player always wants to play, but which annoys the shit out of all drummers.

"Three Days"

?

Jane's Addiction...the band with the song every bass player always wants to play, but which annoys the shit out of all drummers.

which song? I play bass, and I've never been pulled towards anything by them.

I was wondering if Uncle Tupreo were eligible (yes, as of 2015), so I googled "uncle tupelo eligible rock and roll hall of fame" and the first hit was www.notinhalloffame.com I clicked on it and found this gem:

indicted? Yikes!

• 2 months later...

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame’s Class of 2017 appears to have a little something for everyone.The six performer inductees announced Tuesday reflect a wide reach in time and style, ranging from Joan Baez, who began her folk career in the early 1960s, to Pearl Jam, a leader of the Seattle grunge sound, and the late rapper Tupac Shakur, who released hit albums in the 1990s.The three other inductees include two English bands, Electric Light Orchestra (ELO) and Yes, which broke through in the early 1970s, and San Francisco-based Journey, which scored its biggest hits, including the anthemic Don’t Stop Believin’, in the 1980s.Producer, songwriter and guitarist Nile Rodgers will receive the Award for Musical Excellence.