Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will be a great time for them to finally get Steve back in the band. Then they go back on tour and play those same few songs for a number of years. I always hated that band. Of course, the early albums are a different animal. But I never got into those either.

And Yes can get Jon back and do a re-union tour. 

I am glad Pearl Jam is getting in there. One of the greatest bands of all times. I don't think I will buy any new albums they make - but they are still great. 

ELO - ugh.

Would rather have Journey make it in.

I would rather The Move. But that will never happen, no matter how deserving they are.

This will be a great time for them to finally get Steve back in the band. Then they go back on tour and play those same few songs for a number of years. I always hated that band. Of course, the early albums are a different animal. But I never got into those either.

I am glad Pearl Jam is getting in there. One of the greatest bands of all times. I don't think I will buy any new albums they make - but they are still great. 

Steve Perry is the wild card this year....Jon wants in, so he will get in (at least for the ceremony). 

PJ is deserved for first time eligible (a rare thing).  The only act that is getting this year that has been previously nominated is Yes.  All others are first time nominated.  I was hoping for 7 so maybe the Cars would get in or J Giels. 

Shame that Chic could not crack the voters (nominated 11 times).  I guess they finally gave up and will give Nile a "musical excellence". 

The other moral is if they want to get more Hip Hop in (rappers), they need to only nominate 1 at a time.

I agree with all of this.

Rolling Stone online has interviews with some of the guys -

Jon Anderson seems pretty funny. Which I never think of him as being funny.

I hope Bill is up there on the stage. Such a fantastic drummer.

Jon actually is a pretty funny dude from what I know. And Bill is #1 all time in Rock for me.

The Hall's rules seem arbitrarily applied. It is weird that neither drummer from Vs through Yield, the era of the band's ascendancy to rock stardom, is inducted with the band. PJ are certainly at a new level of rock celebrity now but as a live band, as their studio output hasn't been as great since the 1990s. Very good, but not as great. They could get into the hall on the first three albums alone, if a case could be made for the inclusion of Dave A who drummed on two of those records. They wouldn't get in just on any three albums with Matt Cameron. Matt certainly deserves to be in there for his service as their longest-tenured drummer, but there's room for the other guys too.

I hope Bill is up there on the stage. Such a fantastic drummer.

Me, too, but it's highly unlikely he'll play.  Steve Howe says Bill hasn't touched a drumstick in nine years and has no intention of  ever performing again.

the RnRHoF is a meaningless artifice.

Agreed. But you have to admit, if you are a bigger band, it's nice to get the recognition... no matter how ultimately meaningless.

The Sex Pistols are frauds.

I agree and I don't think that the HOF is a fraud.  Do they have any room for improvement, for sure.  They need to diversity that is a fact.  Many genres need more in (Heavy Metal, New Wave/post punk, soul).  I think that this year nominations were pretty good (19 in total).   The voting peeps are out of touch (not the nomination committee).

I agree with all of this.

Jon actually is a pretty funny dude from what I know. And Bill is #1 all time in Rock for me.

Jon may be funny, but the real comedian is Wakeman. I've been listening to an Anderson-Wakeman boot, and every time Jon says something, Wakeman chimes in with something irreverent that cracks up the audience. What a character.

I hope they tour together without the fake Jon. I'd see them if they do it. Jon still sounds great, and seems like a genuinely nice guy. About freaking time they got in.

I always hated that band. Of course, the early albums are a different animal. But I never got into those either.

Glad I'm not the only one. They almost completely ruined The Sopranos' finale for me, too. :lol

I don't why they have to nominate or do any of this stuff -- the museum itself is cool. There is stuff there from bands (Wilco for one) who have never been inducted - not sure why they need to have any induction process. Just have the museum and be done with it. Of course they get the publicity with thee nomination process, etc.

Also, I never got into the whole Sex Pistol bit, either. They were definitely great opportunist, though.

A friend of mine worked at the Borders Books & Music in Boston when Jon Anderson made an appearance to sign (a book? I dunno) and do a couple of songs. He told Brian (a huge Yes fan) he wanted to do Heart of the Sunrise but said he couldn't remember all the words, so Brian transcribed the lyrics from his head and Jon sang with the sheet in front of him.

I agree and I don't think that the HOF is a fraud.  Do they have any room for improvement, for sure.  They need to diversity that is a fact.  Many genres need more in (Heavy Metal, New Wave/post punk, soul).  I think that this year nominations were pretty good (19 in total).   The voting peeps are out of touch (not the nomination committee).

how is it not a fraud? how do you 'rank' something as purely subjective as music?

Maybe that is another hall of fame - bands that have their own video games.

do pinball machines count?