Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

He won't.

Not that he doesn't deserve to, but he won't.

Not that it truly matters in regard to the man's awesome body of work, but why do you say he won't? The man is pushing the very back nine of his life, is loved by everyone who has ever listened to him, and has gotten plenty of love from Rolling Stone critics over the decades.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

I guess I am happy for the Cure ---- will be interesting which members will be officially inducted.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Class of 2019 has been revealed, with seven inductees slated to join the Rock Hall ranks next year: The Cure, Def Leppard, Janet Jackson, Stevie Nicks, Radiohead, Roxy Music and The Zombies.

I guess I am happy for the Cure ---- will be interesting which members will be officially inducted.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Class of 2019 has been revealed, with seven inductees slated to join the Rock Hall ranks next year: The Cure, Def Leppard, Janet Jackson, Stevie Nicks, Radiohead, Roxy Music and The Zombies.

Nice Radiohead and the Cure well deserved!

Nice Radiohead and the Cure well deserved!

So are Def Leppard and Janet Jackson, whether you like them or not.

Also, I am super happy to see The Zombies and Roxy Music make it.

Overall, this is a good class.

Not denying that just excited for the Cure and Radiohead actually have seen Janet and Def Leppard in concert too

Devo is more deserving than most of the bands that got in this year. Arguably, only Roxy Music is on their level of deservingness among this crop.

Devo is great however you can’t deny the impact both the cure and Radiohead made on music

Devo is great however you can’t deny the impact both the cure and Radiohead made on music

What is their impact on music?  With the Cure, had they never existed, I think there were other bands who would have served as goth/emo pioneers (assuming that is what the Cure's impact is.)  Radiohead...I don't really know what their impact is other than being a quality adventurous band that people like. It seems like lots of bands do pretty much the same thing they do. 

Nothing against either band.  Both are good and deserve their spot.  I ask only to gain perspective.

What is their impact on music? With the Cure, had they never existed, I think there were other bands who would have served as goth/emo pioneers (assuming that is what the Cure's impact is.) Radiohead...I don't really know what their impact is other than being a quality adventurous band that people like. It seems like lots of bands do pretty much the same thing they do.

Nothing against either band. Both are good and deserve their spot. I ask only to gain perspective.

while the Cure may not be the first to do it they hit the scene early and helped pioneer new wave emotion goth in the Uk in the late 70’s they had many albums which picked up steam in America. Many artist list the Cure as influences from Nine inch Nails to Depeche Mode etc.

Radiohead have constantly pushed the envelope. From samples to their pedal work to their three guitarist to their music videos. Radiohead in my opinion is the most influential band of the last 25 years.. all personal opinions obviously but I’d think hundreds of newer bands would list them as their primary influence.

while the Cure may not be the first to do it they hit the scene early and helped pioneer new wave emotion goth in the Uk in the late 70’s they had many albums which picked up steam in America. Many artist list the Cure as influences from Nine inch Nails to Depeche Mode etc.

Radiohead have constantly pushed the envelope. From samples to their pedal work to their three guitarist to their music videos. Radiohead in my opinion is the most influential band of the last 25 years.. all personal opinions obviously but I’d think hundreds of newer bands would list them as their primary influence.

You're right on all counts, but I also tend to think it's all because they were the ones who got big doing what they were doing.  Not that they were the only ones, or even the best ones, doing what they were doing.  But I suppose that's really what the criteria for getting into the hall boils down to.

I agree - this is a good class. The only one I might quibble with is Stevie Nicks, mainly because I don't think much of her solo work. Very surprised (and pleased) that Roxy Music made it in.

don't think radiohead are going to show up but am excited for a possible cure/roxy jam! i'm a big cure fan & they are definitely worthy. hugely influential & still relevant i think. rumour has it a new record is in the works for next year. can't wait for an album with reeves gabrels on guitar!

I agree - this is a good class. The only one I might quibble with is Stevie Nicks, mainly because I don't think much of her solo work. Very surprised (and pleased) that Roxy Music made it in.

I think Stevie was probably picked, as a solo artist, more for being a fashion/cultural icon than for anything to do with her actual solo music output. Because, yeah: outside of the Mac, she didn't really have such an amazing career.