Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Plus - have you seen David Byrne recently?

david_byrne_2006.jpg

It's all a rich tapestry of funny.

Granger%20stewart%20p.gif

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

Billboard Article

KISS, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Genesis, the Hollies, LL Cool J and Jimmy Cliff are first-time nominees among a dozen finalists for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, according to a list released this morning by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation. They join returning candidates ABBA, the Chantels, Darlene Love, Laura Nyro, the Stooges and Donna Summer.

Five of the 12 nominees will be chosen for induction from ballots cast by more than 500 music industry voters. An announcement of the inductees is expected in January, and the Hall's 25th Annual Induction Ceremony will take place March 15 at the Waldorf Astoria hotel in New York City. Broadcast plans have not yet been announced.

Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith told Billboard.com that "it's a real honor to be nominated in our first year of eligibility. Obviously the Hall of Fame has excellent musical taste." But the year's big story could turn out to be KISS, which has been eligible since 1999 but, like shock rock predecessor Alice Cooper, has famously been snubbed by the Hall's nominating committee and has made some harsh comments about the organization in the past. But the group's Paul Stanley recently noted that a Rock Hall induction would cause he and his longtime KISS partner Gene Simmons to consider which of the group's members they'd like to have enter with them.

"There's been a lot of people who've been a part of this, some longer than others..and some who deserve recognition more than others," Stanley explained. "Even the non-makeup years produced some platinum and double-platinum albums, and we had some very healthy sales in terms of albums and concerts through the '80s and '90s. So if we should ever be asked to accept induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, it would be something to think about." The Foundation determines which members of a band are inducted into the Hall, and the ballot lists the four founding members of KISS, including Ace Frehley and Peter Criss.

Hollies co-founder Graham Nash is already in the Hall of Fame with Crosby, Stills & Nash (1997) but said he was "very thrilled" to hear about the Hollies nomination. "There's a long way form here to actually being inducted," noted Nash, who was with the group from 1962-68. "I truly believe the Hollies deserve to be inducted. They were a large part of the early history of what we know as rock 'n' roll. I would be particularly thrilled For Allan Clarke. That's where my heart goes. I'm already in there, but it would be a thrill for me to see it happen for" the Hollies.

Artists are eligible for induction 25 years after their first single or album release.

While the ballots are being mailed to voters, the Hall of Fame is also preparing for its 25th anniversary concerts on Oct. 29-30 at New York's Madison Square Garden, along with the release of a nine-DVD boxed set, "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Live," and the publication of a book, "The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame: The First 25 Years."

Well, someone is paying attention to all the complaints (sort of). Still no Rush or Deep Purple though.

No, not really. She should be in there.

Agreed, she was a pretty original singer-songwriter.

• 2 months later...

From Billboard.com:

The Stooges, Genesis, ABBA, the Hollies and Jimmy Cliff will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at the shrine's 25th annual ceremony on March 15 at the Waldorf Astoria hotel in New York City. They'll be joined by David Geffen and a cadre of songwriters -- Barry Mann & Cynthia Weil, Ellie Greenwich & Jeff Barry, Jesse Stone, Mort Shuman and Otis Blackwell -- who will receive the Ahmet Ertegun Award for non-performers.

The ceremony will be broadcast live on Fuse TV.

Surprisingly not making the cut were KISS and the Red Hot Chili Peppers, who were thought to be frontrunners when the short list of nominees was announced in September.

Genesis keyboardist Tony Banks tells Billboard.com that the induction is "nice to happen" and that it's an honor to be the second British progressive rock band, after Pink Floyd, to join the Hall. "I suppose it being American-based and all that it just concentrates slightly more on that type of music," he says. Which members of Genesis might perform at the ceremony is somewhat up in the air due to Phil Collins' recent surgery to repair dislocated vertebrae. "Phil's got a few physical problems at the moment which means I don't think he'd be able to play, so...I don't really know what that means," Banks says. "We'll face that particular hurdle when we get to it."

Hollies veteran Graham Nash calls the group's induction "well-deserved," noting that "they were a very large part of the British Invasion. They were a very large part of early, you know, English rock. They had a couple of dozen Top 10 hits (in the U.K.), and hits over here (in the U.S.), and why not?" His longtime colleague Stephen Stills was "so happy" for Nash and cracked that "now he can quit feeling inferior" because Stills and David Crosby have each been inducted into the Hall more than once. But, Stills adds, "I thought (the Hollies) was a great band, and we all wanted to sing like that. The fact I ended up with one of their singers is one of the luckiest things in my life."

ABBA is unlikely to regroup for a performance at the March ceremony, but the Stooges, in the wake of founding guitarist Ron Asheton's death in early January, have already been planning a 2010 tour with "Raw Power" era guitarist James Williamson. The group has been nominated for the Hall seven previous times.

I would vote for Kiss over the Hollies any day but then again they had a much bigger impact on my life. As did The Cars, The Replacements, Cheap Trick, and many other bands that are not in yet.

I would vote for Kiss over the Hollies any day but then again they had a much bigger impact on my life. As did The Cars, The Replacements, Cheap Trick, and many other bands that are not in yet.

And still no Rush, either.

It is sort of funny that this many years down the road they are still inducting the British Invasion bands. The should have figured out who was important after The Beatles and The Stones, and then stuck them all in at the same time.

Since they are not doing it that way - I think there are bands from that era that deserve to be in there ahead of The Hollies.

It is sort of funny that this many years down the road they are still inducting the British Invasion bands. The should have figured out who was important after The Beatles and The Stones, and then stuck them all in at the same time.

Since they are not doing it that way - I think there are bands from that era that deserve to be in there ahead of The Hollies.

I agree, but I imagine the board of the HOF knows that the British Invasion bands still attract a lot of interest relative to the other types of acts that typically get inducted. They are probaly methodically inducting one every year or two just to cash in (so to speak) on the interest they generate.

If the HOF next year inducts, say, Laura Nyro, an obscure but important bluesman, an obscure but important female R&B singer from the 50s, a 100 year old recording engineer and Whitesnake, how much interest will that generate?

I think that is right. I wonder why VH-1 is no longer airing the show. I saw some of the recent DVD releases of the past shows on PBS last weekend. I use to tape all of the shows - at least when they began to show them on TV.

• 2 months later...

Trey Anastasio to Induct Genesis into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Trey Anastasio will induct Genesis into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame next month, according to the Associated Press. In addition to the Phish guitarist, the article reports that Wyclef Jean will honor Jimmy Cliff, Barry and Robin Gibb of the Bee Gees will induct Abba, Green Day’s Billie Joe Armstrong will honor The Stooges and Jackson Browne will induct David Geffen. There is a chance all of these musicians will also take part in jam sessions during the ceremony. The 2010 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony is set for March 15 at the Waldorf Astoria in New York City. The ceremony will air live on Fuse TV. Genesis’ The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway was one of the final albums “left alive” for Phish to cover at Festival 8, and the band’s 2004 release Undermind was mixed in Genesis co-founder Peter Gabriel’s studio.

I really don't think the HOF will be anything more than a footnote to musical heritage as long as the selection process remains an obscure process (like waiting for puffs of smoke) rather than a visible structured approach like most of the athletic HOF. Despite the frustrations with MLB, NFL and NBA HOF voters, at least there's a framed discussion of who and how should get in. From soup to nuts, the R&R HOF doesn't allow nominations, doesn't give any glimpses into the vetting process, they just unleash this year's selections -- and it's seldom hard to ignore the commercial implications of most of their decisions.

I realize it is artistic over athletic. But it would be a lot easier to take seriously (or at least more seriously debate) the process.

The thing is, The Bee Gees are really a 60s band. I know the popularity of their 70s work has overshadowed that to a large extent.

Was ABBA an influence on the Bee-Gees turning into a disco band? If that were the case, I could understand why Robin Gibb is doing the intro.

By that same reasoning, it makes sense to have Billie Joe introducing The Stooges, but I still think he's an uninspired choice. I would have rather seen Lou Reed, or Bowie, or even John Lydon intruduce the Stooges. Maybe all those people were asked and said no.

The Bee Gees had moved on to a new musical direction before Saturday Night Fever came along. I can't see ABBA having anything to do with their music. I could be wrong, as I don't really know a whole lot about either band.

I just like The Bee Gees 1967-1971 output.

I agree, hardwood. Even though it was from the 'disco' period, Jive Talkin' is one of the best songs ever. Wilco could cover the hell out of it. If I one a 'what would you like wilco to cover' contest, I'd pick Jive Talkin'. They'd tear it up and irony-free.