The Pearl Jam Thread

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was trying to remember what I paid the one and only time I saw them (2003). I think it was 25 or 30 bucks.

I read this interview with Neil Peart the other day where he talking about how a band use to tour to promote a record, in that records sales equaled money, but now, bands tour to make money. At least for bands at the level of popularity. I would think that is one of the reasons they have raised ticket prices. And, the cost of touring has of course increased.

Eddie has said that the increase in ticket prices was partially due to piracy (of course he was much more long winded about it).

MSG 10c tix were $173 a pair

Hartford 10c tix were $150 a pair.

Not cheap, but not overly expensive for major arena acts. Kind of a middle price point.

And no question, concerts are the major source of revenue for most acts these days.

Anyway, I am really looking forward to the hartford show.

10/30 in Philly will be tough to beat. That show was phenomenal.

everything is going up. minimum wage has raised each of the last 3 years (right?).

i've seen Radiohead 3 times in the same venue and i want to say the price doubled from the first to last - and having worse seats each time! (this was after they were well established, not like OKC to Pablo Honey).

I looked into the Ten club -- I'd have to have been a member as of 3/10 to get in on that deal. $150 doesnt seem too bad to me, since with ticket master and all of their fees amd other bs, I'll prolly shell out closer to $200.

I have always wanted to see Pearl Jam, my husband saw them a LOOONNG time ago, said the energy was amazing.

Cheers!

Amazing is definitely the right word.

I have mixed feelings about the Ten Club. I've been a member since 1998, so my member number is pretty much in the middle and I've been satisfied with my tickets. Honestly, if you were to join now your tickets might land you on the back of the floor where you can't see a thing. Then again, you could wing the lottery or get decent seats in the wings - it's a gamble.

The other benefits of the club leave much to be desired. The newsletters look cool but frankly aren't all that exciting, and we now get one per year rather than two. The "holiday" single is a fun collector's item, but the songs haven't been that exciting lately and you never know when the thing is going to show up. We're still waiting for the 2009 record to show up.

For $20 it's not a bad deal, but there is certainly room for improvement. It think some of the things Wilco does for no charge (ticket presales, free downloads) beat what Pearl Jam does for a fee.

I'm a bit upset that the prices for the Boston Garden show are at a flat rate of 74.50. The part that makes me upset is that I only keep pulling balcony seats.

Pessimism reared its ugly head into mine and I started thinking to myself "well...I've seen them tons of times...I'm not paying 85 (w/fees) to just hear songs from Backspacer." and sit way up and way back. I was up in the balcony twice in 2006 and it was awful the 1st night (behind the stage. steep as all hell. lousy sound) & not bad the 2nd night (mid court. sound was a bit better. still last row.)

It's ok. I don't feel too bad.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Any Eddie Vedder solo shows out there? I'd love to find a bootleg of a vedder solo show

:)

or better yet, I found a lot of downloads through google, but I don't know which dates are the best quality, if anyone knows what bootleg dates are the best quality that'd be awesome!

Pearl Jam has a funny rule about taping. They only allow hand held recording devices only, no external mics, etc.

There is this site:

Sidewalk Crusaders.

I do know that Eddie Vedder solo shows are not allowed on Dime a Dozen. I don't know why though.

If you dig around a bit, you can probably find an answer.

Pearl Jam has a funny rule about taping. They only allow hand held recording devices only, no external mics, etc.

There is this site:

Sidewalk Crusaders.

I do know that Eddie Vedder solo shows are not allowed on Dime a Dozen. I don't know why though.

If you dig around a bit, you can probably find an answer.

There was no taping whatsoever allowed during Eddie's solo "tour." I believe the excuse was that they wanted to keep those shows special for those who were able to attend, or some such thing.

However, I know that at least one show was taped. Eddie's people did a pretty good job of eliminating any links to those shows, but maybe you can find something online if you do some major searching. It's been a while since those shows - perhaps they're not being as vigilant these days.

I have some EV shows (27 of them from 08-09)

PM me and let me know what show you are looking for-I wont upload them, but would be happy to do a BnP. they are all AUD recordings and some are much better than others-NJPAC is a good one.

While there has been no confirmation from EV or the 10c, my feeling is that the studio/production company (and possibly EV if he is getting royalties) wont allow recordings or videos of the soundtrack material as long as the soundtrack is publicly available for sale-PJ takes this position with its shows as well-if they are available for sale, then trading/uploading is discouraged/prohibited.

I think it was the studio's copyright police that was/is out there shutting down vids and uploads. They are still not up on most of the popular torrent sites.

As far as the 10c goes, they are far from perfect, but at the end of the day, they go out of their way to put its members in the best concert seats. For my $20, thats enough. The rest is just gravy.

PJ takes this position with its shows as well-if they are available for sale, then trading/uploading is discouraged/prohibited.

You mean the officially released SBD sourced live cds, not AUD tapes, right?

I still find their taping policy weird.

You mean the officially released SBD sourced live cds, not AUD tapes, right?

I still find their taping policy weird.

Yes.

Eddie has said that he approves of people doing what he used to do-taking a crappy hand held cassette recorder into a show to have a personal recording of the show. The band does not approve of people recording shows for digital distribution via the internet. At least thats my take on it.

In addition, Stone has said that the band doesnt like when people digitally distribute AUD recordings because many of them are not very good. Auds can be found pretty easily and I dont think the band does much to take them down.

I've seen Pearl Jam shows up at Dime a Dozen and other BT sites.

The only stipulation at Dime a Dozen is the following:

Not allowed -

Pearl Jam (in terms of audience video and SBD patches)

I've never heard any of the shows though. I have a few of the official bootlegs.

Their thinking is fouled when it comes to such things - just like the Allman Brothers Band.

Yeah I dont think they really do much to enforce the policies. Perhaps they had a problem with dime in the past.

At the end of the day it comes down to PJ wanting people to buy the SBDs-which is a change from their early ways and due to the proliferation of the torrent sites and other means of digital distribution me thinks

Yeah I dont think they really do much to enforce the policies. Perhaps they had a problem with dime in the past.

At the end of the day it comes down to PJ wanting people to buy the SBDs-which is a change from their early ways and due to the proliferation of the torrent sites and other means of digital distribution me thinks

I still think a lot of record companies, bands, managers, etc. don't understand the difference between tape trading (B & P or BT), and people selling bootlegs. Although, there are still bootlegs out there to buy. In Japan, there are entire stores devoted to bootlegs.

I suppose I just don't get the fact that they allow taping, but only hand held taping. Some bands allow taping, but don't allow their shows to be traded by way of BT sites.

I guess it is just their way of trying to keep people from selling their shows.

Is there a large market for Pearl Jam bootlegs (that is people selling them)? I don't know.

I still think a lot of record companies, bands, managers, etc. don't understand the difference between tape trading (B & P or BT), and people selling bootlegs. Although, there are still bootlegs out there to buy. In Japan, there are entire stores devoted to bootlegs.

I suppose I just don't get the fact that they allow taping, but only hand held taping. Some bands allow taping, but don't allow their shows to be traded by way of BT sites.

I guess it is just their way of trying to keep people from selling their shows.

Is there a large market for Pearl Jam bootlegs (that is people selling them)? I don't know.

Id guess that these guys and curtis management are precisely tuned in to what is happening.

There is a some market for pre-2000 PJ boots (before they started selling them) but the band hasnt restricted trading or uploading of the older shows, so its weak at best.

Actually, part of their decision to start selling high quality boots was due to the European bootleggers.

At the end of the day, you can easily find the official boots to download-and the band doesnt do much to enforce its policies. Perhaps thats an unspoken part of the taping policy-"you will get our high quality boots anyway." Only the EV stuff has been strictly protected-which is why I think the studio/production co has to be involved.

The taping policy is kind of strange, perhaps they dont want mic stands in the crowd-

chalk it up to another quirky vedderism.

That's understandable. I don't think I've listened to Backspacer since October, it was such a disappointment. I feel like I should go back and give it another try so I'll at least be familiar with the songs.

Only recently have I stared to enjoy it more. It helps to hear them live as well.

Took the longest of all the records for me to start liking it.

Only recently have I stared to enjoy it more. It helps to hear them live as well.

Took the longest of all the records for me to start liking it.

I listened to it a couple weeks ago, and I have to say the album wasn't as bad as I remembered. Ignoring the lyrics helped.

Less than two weeks until Cleveland! I need to give Backspacer a couple more listens before the show so that I won't be lost.

Actually, part of their decision to start selling high quality boots was due to the European bootleggers.

I don't understand people buying bootlegs these days. With a computer, and the ability to make artwork, you can make your own "bootleg." Also, I have read that a lot of bootleg companies are now making their bootlegs from shows they get by way of BT sites. Particularly, when someone improves some old tape. Or a new source appears.

I do know that sometimes board tapes appear from some old band that had previously not been out there. I have heard stories of people connected to the band members or roadies selling such tapes for quite a bit of money. So I guess that is still going on.

I do understand that some people like to collect silver bootlegs of old bands or whatever, but I have never been interested in that. I don't even mess with art work for my live shows. I suppose I might if I had the space to store all of my live show cds in jewel cases. I do have some fancy artwork for the first Wilco show I went to. That is mainly due to someone I know who made it for me.

I am curious as to how much of the bootleg market is made up of Pearl Jam shows. I may try to find out. Someone must be buying cds from those Japanese shops. It must be people with a lot money.

I don't think I have listened to the last Pearl Jam album since I got it. I doubt that I will listen to it again.

For me, Pearl Jam is Vs., Vitalogy, and No Code.

I am curious as to how much of the bootleg market is made up of Pearl Jam shows. I may try to find out. Someone must be buying cds from those Japanese shops. It must be people with a lot money.

I don't think I have listened to the last Pearl Jam album since I got it. I doubt that I will listen to it again.

For me, Pearl Jam is Vs., Vitalogy, and No Code.

I agree. I dont understand why anyone would purchase a "fabricated" boot unless it was a rare show or unusually high quality. I would say that its people who are technologically challenged or are scared to use BT/download sites.

I know the Japanese shops you speak of as I often travel to Japan. I have not looked for a bootleg in those shops in years. There are fewer of those shops as well-they used to be everywhere in Tokyo. I never thought it was smart to plop down $40+ for a boot when you have not heard it first! Although I did do it a few times-One was Nirvana's final show-pretty good actually although the levels are low. I do know that I have seen fewer Pearl jam boots in stores like generation records in NYC (where I used to buy the Italian made boots).

Perhaps there are still people in this world that walk into a CD shop, see something they have never seen before, notice the unique artwork, see a full live show and think its something special or rare.

As far as PJ records go, I love all the records from Ten to Binaural (which is totally underrated IMHO). The last three definitely have some clunkers. I think that is because Ed has been more open to input from and the songs written by other band members. With each new record, I have come to expect that there will be a few songs I really like, a few I dont, and a few that I are just there. My original feeling of backspacer was that I didnt like the production and the piano was to high in the mix. But after seeing the songs live and just letting the record play in the background or in the car for awhile, I have come to really like most of it. Johhny guitar could be on vitalogy and it would fit right in.

I agree. I dont understand why anyone would purchase a "fabricated" boot unless it was a rare show or unusually high quality. I would say that its people who are technologically challenged or are scared to use BT/download sites.

I know the Japanese shops you speak of as I often travel to Japan. I have not looked for a bootleg in those shops in years. There are fewer of those shops as well-they used to be everywhere in Tokyo. I never thought it was smart to plop down $40+ for a boot when you have not heard it first! Although I did do it a few times-One was Nirvana's final show-pretty good actually although the levels are low. I do know that I have seen fewer Pearl jam boots in stores like generation records in NYC (where I used to buy the Italian made boots).

Perhaps there are still people in this world that walk into a CD shop, see something they have never seen before, notice the unique artwork, see a full live show and think its something special or rare.

As far as PJ records go, I love all the records from Ten to Binaural (which is totally underrated IMHO). The last three definitely have some clunkers. I think that is because Ed has been more open to input from and the songs written by other band members. With each new record, I have come to expect that there will be a few songs I really like, a few I dont, and a few that I are just there. My original feeling of backspacer was that I didnt like the production and the piano was to high in the mix. But after seeing the songs live and just letting the record play in the background or in the car for awhile, I have come to really like most of it. Johhny guitar could be on vitalogy and it would fit right in.

I have seen video clips of the inside of some of those Japanese shops. There is quite a bit of stuff there to catch the eye.

I think the Woodstock box set I use to have came from Italy. I got back in the early 1990s.

I have seen video clips of the inside of some of those Japanese shops. There is quite a bit of stuff there to catch the eye.

I think the Woodstock box set I use to have came from Italy. I got back in the early 1990s.

The independent Japanese CD shops used to be very cool, but in recent years I have seen less and less of them and the ones that I do still see have less and less unique stuff. I used to spend tons of cash there when most bands were offering bonus tracks/videos on CDs sold in Japan. A trip through the CD shops of Harajuku is just amazing. There is so much stuff that is sold only in Japan-especially if you are into DJ/Techno or jazz. Up until about 2002, you could always find boots in those stores-of just about every artist. They also would sell compilations that were put together by bootlegers. But recently, I find that they dont carry nearly as much of that stuff. Some have stopped selling the bootlegs completely. I am certain that the market for hard boots is getting crushed due to crackdowns and the BT/download sites.

Yeah when I used to buy a lot of boots in Japan, they were almost always sourced in Italy.

• 2 weeks later...

Pearl Jam Announces 2010 Tour Bootlegs, Launches Online Radio Station

Pearl Jam is taking the more-is-more approach to sharing their music this spring: the band has just announced that the shows on its current 2010 world tour will be released as official bootlegs, started a preorder audio release of a quartet of Philadelphia shows from October, and launched Pearl Jam Radio. All three of the new offerings are available via PearlJam.com.

The latest installment of the band's now decade-long official bootleg series, the 2010 Bootleg Program offers full-concert soundboard recordings in a choice of three formats beginning in Mid-May. The series features shows from Pearl Jam's current tour, which kicked off on May 1 at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival and makes a run through the U.S. before heading to Europe on June 22. The CD version will cost $16.98 per show, a FLAC download will be $14.98, and the MP3 flavor will be $9.98. Pearl Jam first began offering official recordings of its tours with the 72-show release chronicling every note of its 2000 world trek.

Meanwhile, fans can now pre-order recordings of a quartet of Pearl Jam shows that were the last four concerts played at Philadelphia's hallowed Spectrum arena last October. The shows will be available as downloads, on CD, and also as a limited edition set that collects the whole run.

And in the spirit of instant gratification, the busy Seattle band has also launched Pearl Jam Radio today. The player, which lives on PearlJam.com, offers a constant stream of live, rare and studio tunes from throughout PJ's two-decade career.

Pearl Jam's most recent album, "Backspacer," debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 last fall. Its latest single, "Just Breathe" is No. 5 on the Rock Songs chart.

that's too bad. looking at the setlist, i think it's pretty solid, but i've been a fan of theirs for 20 years. it wasn't a "greatest hits" setlist by any means, though. i wish you would've had a better time.

Set List: Wash, Hail Hail, Corduroy, Got Some, In Hiding, World Wide Suicide, Force Of Nature, Immortality, Go, Even Flow, Army Reserve, Unthought Known, Daughter/WMA, Sleight Of Hand, Johnny Guitar, Do The Evolution, The Fixer, Why Go

1st encore: Just Breathe, Given To Fly, Leash, Porch

2nd encore: Wasted Reprise, Life Wasted, Black, The Real Me (Townshend), Smile, Alive, Indifference

I think there are a fair amount of hits in that set: Alive, Even Flow, Black, Just Breathe and Daughter certainly qualify. And then other songs from the first two albums (the albums casual listeners probably have heard): Go, Why Go, Porch, Leash.

Arena shows can really suck though. You couldn't pay me to go to most and sit in the last rows...