The Pearl Jam Thread

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The show in Cleveland was last night. I was underwhelmed. I've parked closer at Wilco shows than I sat a PJ last nite. The sound from where I sat was bad. I've had crap seats at the Q before, and the sound was not as bad as it was last nite. I had similiar seats for Roger Waters -- he sounded great. I didnt't know any songs hardly except for Even Flow. We left early.

I guess that I'm not really much of a fan and didn't realize it until last nite.

I've been so spoiled by Wilco, with never worse than 6th row in a smaller venue where the vibe is more intimate. Last nite felt so canned and not at all what I expected.

I'm sorry you were underwhelmed. I had kind of a bad night myself, but not for the same reasons as you.

Warning: I am about to rant and whine. Do not read further if you're not into that kind of thing.

We enjoyed a nice day in Cleveland, walking around the Rock n Roll Hall of fame and seeing a city I'm not familiar with. My seats turned out to be 10th row center on the floor. We were so excited with the view - I was sure it was going to be another incredible night. I had a perfect view for Band of Horses, who I absolutely loved seeing. I thought Ben did a great job of commanding the arena and it was great to see a pretty big crowd for a Pearl Jam opener. I remember thinking they were worth the price of admission. Thank god for that.

After Band of Horses left the stage things went south for us. A girl showed up directly behind me with the most annoying voice I have heard in my life. From the second she walked up it was obvious there was going to be trouble. She proceeded to let out the most blood curdling screams I have heard in my life between every song, and sometimes in the middle of the quieter songs. Did she really need to howl during "Indifference?" I don't think so! Constant "Wowooooooooos" like a wolf's howl. I shot her many a glare to see if she'd get the picture, but naturally that only ended with her makings some nice comments about me when I turned around. I swear, no note that Mike McCready could have strangled out of his guitar could have compared with that voice directly in my ear. I have no problem with yelling at concerts, but when you have a voice like that you need to shut up or at least tone it down. Eventually I ended up plugging my ears between songs to muffle it.

The show itself started off great with "Wash," and I was able to ignore the "wowooooooooos" and enjoy the show for a while. A few songs in I was rocking out to "World Wide Suicide" when I felt something wet. "Wowooooooo" girl's friend had dropped his beer (from what I can tell it came out of mid air) such that it landed precisely at the feet of my father and I. My purse was wet, my jeans were wet, my shoes soaked through to my socks at one spot, and it came way too close to getting the poster that I luckily had purchased a tube for. I had to hold my purse the rest of the night to make sure it didn't become completely soaked, and my dad got stuck holding the poster tube all night. Completely killed the mood for me, I was so furious with the idiots. The guy offered a lame apology for almost getting the poster wet (did not care that our other belongs were wet), and that was it. On top of that he and the girl were continuously pushing our folding chairs into the back of our legs, until Dad finally pushed back in such a way that they didn't try again.

I spent the rest of the night trying to sing along and force myself to have a good time, but it was a lost cause. I did not enjoy hearing the new songs, my view of Eddie was obstructed 99% of the time by the guy in front of me. I just generally felt like I didn't belong there.

I've read about drunk idiots at concerts many a time, but even at the 3 PJ shows I'd attended I never had a problem. Last night things changed. The off key singalongs and idiots mimicking every move Eddie Vedder made (things I previously appreciated) were getting on my nerves.

The band of good. From where I was the sound was decent. But I don't know if I could survive another night with neighbors like that. This may have been the last time for me.

Hey Maggie -- I know you were pumped for this show -- have a good time?

It took me so long to write my rant that I didn't see this post until after I hit the add "reply button!" See above for my reaction . . .

It's funny - when I saw them in 2003, at the hockey place in Pittsburgh, I was up at the top right hand side. There were people even then talking and whatnot throughout the show. But there was really no one in front of us, so that helped out the sound situation.

I dunno whats up with PJs sound man. Sometimes the sound is just off at arenas where the sound can be great. Also, when you are up close you dont always get good sound because the PA is playing over you. Dont compare them to Waters, PJ is actually singing and playing up there=a waters show is mostly recorded :P .

Unfortunately, there are a decent number of 6ft+ guys, screamers, drunks, and off-key singers at PJ shows. Sorry to hear that you had one in front and one behind you.

But that Cleveland setlist is fantastic. Ending with indifference=awesome.

thanks for the info.

i'm trying to juggle two shows...i'm already confirmed for Buzzcocks, but would hate to pass up a chance to also shoot PJ that same night if i get approved.

Sounds like a good time. I hope it works out for you!

that's too bad. looking at the setlist, i think it's pretty solid, but i've been a fan of theirs for 20 years. it wasn't a "greatest hits" setlist by any means, though. i wish you would've had a better time.

Set List: Wash, Hail Hail, Corduroy, Got Some, In Hiding, World Wide Suicide, Force Of Nature, Immortality, Go, Even Flow, Army Reserve, Unthought Known, Daughter/WMA, Sleight Of Hand, Johnny Guitar, Do The Evolution, The Fixer, Why Go

1st encore: Just Breathe, Given To Fly, Leash, Porch

2nd encore: Wasted Reprise, Life Wasted, Black, The Real Me (Townshend), Smile, Alive, Indifference

If i went to a pj show and that was my setlist i would be so fucking happy.

All except for Johnny guitar. I can't stand that song otherwise a lot of real gems

If i went to a pj show and that was my setlist i would be so fucking happy.

All except for Johnny guitar. I can't stand that song otherwise a lot of real gems

The beginning and ending songs alone are pretty incredible.

I heard "Wash" at my first PJ show at Pittsburgh in 2000, which I believe was a pretty big deal at the time. I never would have guessed that one day I'd experience it as an opener.

And I am in full agreement about "Johnny Guitar." I pretty much hate everything about that song.

May 17, 2010

TD Garden

Boston, Massachusetts

Support Act: Band Of Horses

RELEASE, ANIMAL, THE FIXER, IN MY TREE, ELDERLY WOMAN BEHIND THE COUNTER IN A SMALL TOWN, FORCE OF NATURE, GIVEN TO FLY, SAD, UNTHOUGHT KNOWN, PILATE, HAIL HAIL, PUSH ME PULL ME, EVEN FLOW, UNDONE, NOT FOR YOU (MODERN GIRL), RED MOSQUITO, GOT SOME, STATE OF LOVE & TRUST, WHY GO

FIRST ENCORE:

BEE GIRL, JUST BREATHE, LOVE REIGN O'ER ME, RIVAL, SAVE YOU, REARVIEWMIRROR

SECOND ENCORE:

SMILE, WASTED REPRISE, BETTER MAN / SAVE IT FOR LATER, SOLDIER OF LOVE, CROWN OF THORNS, ALIVE, ROCKIN' IN THE FREE WORLD

Unfortunately, I wasn't at the gig. I didn't want to spend $75 plus Ticketmaster fees to sit in the steep balcony (only tix I kept pulling up). I almost took the $12 train in to the venue, but I didn't think anyone would sell below face with those prices. Oh well. But I saw the setlist on the official Pearl Jam forums and figured I'd post it here. Great setlist!! :thumbup

Edit: Sorry for all caps. I copied and pasted. :ninja

Hopin' the 3:00 train to loverly Newark for tonight's show and heading to the following spot (PJ message board get-together...my first):

MMM Bellos

376 Market Street, Newark, NJ 07105-2210

(973) 465-0052‎

FROM PENN STATION NEWARK TO MMM BELLOS PUB:

(Walking)

Head east on Market St toward Ferry St

335 ft – about 1 min

So, if anyone else is heading over, say hello.

Hopin' the 3:00 train to loverly Newark for tonight's show and heading to the following spot (PJ message board get-together...my first):

MMM Bellos

376 Market Street, Newark, NJ 07105-2210

(973) 465-0052‎

FROM PENN STATION NEWARK TO MMM BELLOS PUB:

(Walking)

Head east on Market St toward Ferry St

335 ft – about 1 min

So, if anyone else is heading over, say hello.

Sweet have fun! I am leaving for the show in about an hour and am excited for some good Portugese food (yummm!), I will be right down the street from you...

so did anyone get a good glimpse at what kind of wine Eddie prefers to swill? i tried getting a good shot of the label but the lights were always down low when he had it in his hand.

Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam likes wine. Secret wine. In a recent interview in Rolling Stone magazine, Vedder was asked about the wine he drinks on stage. He only admitted it was red. But we found out that it was actually Siduri Van der Kamp Pinot Noir. The wine is sent to Vedder without labels. We guess that means he's not that into details like alcohol content and government warnings. Yeah, us neither.

Of course this was back in 2006.

From Wine Spectator

Guest Ordinary Beehive

He drinks wine on stage? That's great. I'd like to think that not just anyone can get away with that. You have to be one cool motherfucker to sip wine while rocking out.