The Pearl Jam Thread

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He drinks wine on stage? That's great. I'd like to think that not just anyone can get away with that. You have to be one cool motherfucker to sip wine while rocking out.

yeah and if they play crazy mary, the bottle gets passed to those in the front rows

used to be siduri-private stock just for vedder-or cal cabernets like Jordan

but he has switched to italians-barolos as the rider states

but he sure doesnt drink cheap wine

Boston setlist is great, I was at hartford and newark and hitting MSG tonight and tomorrow

The band is really in a groove. Hartford had more energy and a fun crowd, Newark had a better setlist. Should be interesting to see what they break out at MSG.

He drinks wine on stage? That's great. I'd like to think that not just anyone can get away with that. You have to be one cool motherfucker to sip wine while rocking out.

It's not so much of a sipping action... :cheers

at least they also specify 12 btl of local microbrew.

let's hope they at least got Harpoon (or similar) the other night as opposed to Sam Adams.

Oops, I missed that. That makes more sense.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

For Pearl Jam's 20th Birthday, A Bridge School Gig

Pearl Jam fans, save the date: guitarist Stone Gossard says the closest thing to a 20th birthday gig for the band will be a slot on the bill of Neil Young's annual Bridge School Benefit in Mountain View, Calif. on Oct. 23 and 24.

"The only thing we've got going on in October is Bridge School, which is really special," Gossard told Billboard while in New York to support the new album by his side-band, Brad. "So that's our 20th anniversary, which is fitting. It's perfect: not too blown up. It's not about us, it about all those kids that are on stage with you and about Neil Young and his commitment, his influence." It will be Pearl Jam's eighth Bridge appearance. The group first played the benefit, which supports Young's school for children with severe physical disabilities, back in 1992.

The Bridge School dates, which will likely be held at the Shoreline Amphitheater, begin the day after Pearl Jam's exact anniversary. Oct. 22 marks the date in 1990 that the band, then called Mookie Blaylock, played its first show in Seattle's tiny Off Ramp club.

"It's so great that it's still going on, isn't it? 'Just stick together,' that's the advice we got from [u2's manager] Paul McGuinness," back in the early 90s, Gossard says, laughing. "I think we've just stayed on course in a way that's maybe encouraged people and surprised people, and I think there's more that we can do."

No other acts, aside from Neil Young, have yet been announced for the 2010 Bridge concerts.

Though Pearl Jam has been plenty busy this year -- they've done both a U.S. and European tour and released digital bootlegs of every show -- Gossard divulges that the band is mulling a South American trek for 2011.

Meanwhile, plans for the follow up to the Seattle rock veterans' 2009 album "Backspacer," which debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200, are just in the early stages, according to Gossard. "We were actually talking about trying to get in [to write and record] before Bridge School, but I think this Band Of Horses [tour] with Brad is going to make that harder to do. But the band is definitely going to get together probably [initially] without [frontman] Ed [Vedder] and start to hammer out some more demos and get some stuff to the point where he can hear it."

Pearl Jam's various members, however, have spent their summer vacations moonlighting with other musical projects. Gossard's Brad released its fourth studio album "Best Friends?" this month; it's available at PearlJam.com. As he mentioned, Brad will hit the road in October opening for Band of Horses, who themselves opened for Pearl Jam this spring.

"I'm hoping that Brad can do for [band Of Horses'] show what they did for Pearl Jam," Gossard says. "[singer] Shawn [smith] hasn't played in arenas really and his voice through a big PA is going to really fill it up in a way that's going to surprise people."

Gossard adds that Brad will also slip in a few headlining New York shows and possibly a TV appearance while Band Of Horses heads to Texas to play the Austin City Limits Music Festival, which takes place Oct. 8-10.

"I'm really looking forward to interpreting this new [brad] material and going back and relearning old songs that we've maybe never even played before, really showcasing what Brad's sound is. It started pretty naturally, I mean it was in '91, '92, so when everyone was going heavy we were going super mellow... I am fascinated by that aspect of being in bands and how time can strength your bonds; how that exaggerates the emotion of the music."

Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder, who contributed brand new solo song "Better Days" to the just-released "Eat, Pray, Love" soundtrack, will pop up in Little Rock, Ark. to headline a West Memphis Three benefit on Aug. 28 alongside the Dixie Chicks' Natalie Maines. Proceeds from the concert, which will be held at the Robinson Center Music Hall, will go to Arkansas Take Action which has long been fighting to overturn what many feel are the wrongful murder convictions of three locals. Vedder has supported the cause for a decade.

Drummer Matt Cameron, as previously reported, is doing double duty: he has played a handful of reunion shows with his original band, Soundgarden. So far, the quartet has played a pair of club shows plus the closing night headlining Lollapalooza slot. An album of hits and rarites, "Telephantasm" -- which includes the previously unreleased 1991 outtake "Black Rain" -- is due Sept. 28. More Soundgarden dates have been rumored but not confirmed.

"I'm looking forward to seeing some more Soundgarden shows," says Gossard. "I hope that that's part of the mix of next year. Matt getting out there and playing some dates with Soundgarden would make the world so happy. They're crushing and the songs are so great. You can tell they are so reverential about their music, and they're playing with conviction. It just shows you how different bands make the same drummer play in different ways."

For Pearl Jam's 20th Birthday, A Bridge School Gig

yeah

the band did not plan anything for the 20th anniversary of its first gig

the bridge thing is just a coincidence-truthfully

but they are planning something for next year

crashious-the hoodie dude-has been working on a hoodie that incorporates designs from the first real tour-which was in 1991

there will be something next year-probably the same as the last couple of years-three weeks in the US, three weeks in another part of the world

but its encouraging that they are trying to sneak into the studio with all the other stuff going on

EV should have some time on his hands to write some new songs

and FYI

better days is an EV song-written for the movie eat pray love

Voices For Justice

Robinson Center Music Hall

Little Rock, Arkansas

8/28/10

Opening speeches from Rev. Thompson Murray, Capi Peck from Arkansas Take Action

Video from Damien Echols

Eddie Vedder:

Rise

It Rains On Me (Tom Waits)

Lisa Blount:

Mercedes Benz

Greeting from Lorri Davis

Bill Carter and Will Sexton:

Something Made Of Paper

Video from Henry Rollins

Johnny Depp reading from Damien Echols' journal

Eddie Vedder:

The Times They Are A Changin' (Bob Dylan)

Open All Night (Bruce Springsteen)

Fistful Of Mercy:

Fistful Of Mercy

Restore Me

My Father's Son

Natalie Maines:

Death's Got A Warrant

If I Had My Way

Free Life (Dan Wilson)

I Smell A Rat

Eddie Vedder and Natalie Maines:

Golden State (John Doe)

You Can Close Your Eyes (James Taylor)

Eddie Vedder with Johnny Depp on guitar:

Society (Jerry Hannan)

Patti Smith:

My Blakean Year

Wings

Dancing Barefoot

Finale:

People Have The Power

• 2 weeks later...

Bridge School Line up:

Saturday 10/23

Buffalo Springfield

Pearl Jam

Elvis Costello

Merle Haggard / Kris Kristofferson

Lucinda Williams

Billy Idol

Jackson Browne and David Lindley

Modest Mouse

Grizzly Bear

Sunday 10/24:

Buffalo Springfield

Pearl Jam

T-Bone Burnett's Speaking Clock Revue featuring Elton John, Leon Russell, Elvis Costello, Ralph Stanley, Neko Case and Jeff Bridges

Merle Haggard / Kris Kristofferson

Modest Mouse

Grizzly Bear

• 1 month later...

October 23, 2010, Mountain View, CA, Bridge School Benefit

Set List: Last Kiss (Wayne Cochran, Joe Carpenter, Randall Hoyal & Bobby McGlon),

Unthought Known, Santa Cruz, Nothingman, Dancing Barefoot (Patti Smith, Ivan Krall), Better Man, Walk With Me w/Neil Young (Neil Young), Just Breathe w/strings, Black w/strings

October 24, 2010, Mountain View, CA, Bridge School Benefit

Set List: Daughter, Down, Driftin’, Other Side (1st time played live), The End (w/ strings), Walk With Me w/Neil Young (Neil Young), Lukin (w/strings), Just Breathe (w/strings), Black (w/strings), Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town (w/strings)

By all accounts the band sounded great.

Other side!

• 2 weeks later...

PEARL JAM KICK OFF THEIR 20th ANNIVERSARY YEAR WITH

RELEASE OF NEW LIVE COMPILATION ALBUM

"LIVE ON TEN LEGS" OUT JANUARY 18, 2011

Pearl Jam announce the release of "Live on Ten Legs," a new live compilation album that will be available through Pearl Jam's Ten Club and select digital and independent music retailers on January 18, 2011 (January 17, 2011 internationally).

Kicking off the band’s twentieth anniversary year, "Live on Ten Legs" features 18 Pearl Jam tracks recorded over the course of the band's 2003-2010 world tours by recording engineer, John Burton (full track listing below). All tracks have been newly remixed by longtime Pearl Jam engineer Brett Eliason and remastered.

"Live on Ten Legs" will be available internationally through Island Records as a digital version, CD version and a deluxe version. The deluxe version will include a CD, double LP package, four mini poster reprints, five live photos and a tour laminate. The album will be available in the United States as a digital version, CD version and vinyl version.

A Ten Club pre-sale of the CD and vinyl versions of "Live on Ten Legs" begins today at www.pearljam.com.

Deluxe version available worldwide here.

Pearl Jam's "Live on Ten Legs" is a follow up to their platinum 1998 live release, "Live on Two Legs," which consisted of performances recorded during the band's summer 1998 North American tour.

"Live on Ten Legs" Tracklisting:

1. Arms Aloft

2. World Wide Suicide

3. Animal

4. Got Some

5. State of Love And Trust

6. I Am Mine

7. Unthought Known

8. Rearview Mirror

9. The Fixer

10. Nothing As It Seems

11. In Hiding

12. Just Breathe

13. Jeremy

14. Public Image

15. Spin the Black Circle

16. Porch

17. Alive

18. Yellow Ledbetter

Needs more Present Tense. I wonder why they're really releasing this if they already have a bootleg program. They could release something more awesome for their own anniversary.

The key is that it is available on vinyl, otherwise I agree. Live electric PJ on vinyl from more recent tours. $28 bucks shipped. Good enough for me.

Something tells me there will be more surprises from PJ in 2011.