The Pearl Jam Thread

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I meant Present Tense from No Code. And I'm probably in the minority of fans that thinks Vitalogy, No Code, and Yield are the best records Pearl Jam have recorded.

I meant he/she needs to listen to it another ten times :yes

And I think a very large percentage of current fans would say that no code or yield is their favorite.

Personally, I like them equally up until riot act. The last three have a few songs I really like, and a few songs I really dont.

Well, Present Tense is a great song for most other bands, it bursts open in a magnificent way, I just set the PJ bar for a great song a bit higher :-P. It's not in my top 10% PJ songs. Yield and especially No Code are underrated albums though, they have a much more natural flow and cohesion than any of (what most people consider) the big three.

I never did understand why people placed Vs. in their top 3: it always sounded like a mediocre alternative rock record.

starting with Vitalogy they strayed away from using some of those sounds/effects that were all the rage (and now date) during the grunge era. I remember how Vitalogy was one of the first records i knew the release date and bought it that day. they released it on vinyl first, which was really weird to me back then. now it has come (spin the black) full circle.

No Code sounds like a band recorded live in a room for the most part.

i did catch Black randomly on the radio the other day and thought how it was pretty incredible for Ten to be someone's debut album.

I meant he/she needs to listen to it another ten times :yes

And I think a very large percentage of current fans would say that no code or yield is their favorite.

Personally, I like them equally up until riot act. The last three have a few songs I really like, and a few songs I really dont.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Yield was the album that finally convinced me Pearl Jam was a band was worth listening to. That is an album I wish I had on vinyl, but I would wear it out from playing it over and over again.

I never did understand why people placed Vs. in their top 3: it always sounded like a mediocre alternative rock record.

If any record is overrated, it's Vitalogy, not VS. And is it considered cool in this thread to act like Ten isn't a brilliant record ;-)?

I don't know why I get drawn into these (albeit good-humored) discussions. I like all their albums. Well, except for the bulk of riot act, obviously.

I've been obsessing over No Code lately, so this Yield topic is about 12months past due for me. I'll swing back around to obsessing about that one in a while I'm sure, so no worries.

On a completely unrelated note, does anyone care to share their thoughts on Vedder's take on Reign 'O er me?

This is what makes being a Pearl Jam fan just as interesting as being a Wilco fan. In fact I think both bands first albums stand out as being unusually 'slick' sounding and playing within a set of conventions the bands later turned on their heads.

To me what make Vitalogy such an important record is the places where it nailed a chemistry that makes Pearl Jam amazing to me; when they find a really amazing balance between weirdness, rocking, and beauty. "Not For You", "Tremor Christ", "Immortality". That's where it's at for me as a PJ fan. It's also why I love both Riot Act and Binaural. There is a glut of that creepy rocking beauty on those albums. The straight rockers, like on the new record, often seem boring to me in spite of their awesome precision and economy.

There are very much different kinds of PJ fans, like there are different kinds of Wilco fans. It's awesome that a band can create a large enough catalog of material (that is worthwhile enough to people), so they can actually divide fans.

If any record is overrated, it's Vitalogy, not VS. And is it considered cool in this thread to act like Ten isn't a brilliant record ;-)?

I don't know why I get drawn into these (albeit good-humored) discussions. I like all their albums. Well, except for the bulk of riot act, obviously.

I've been obsessing over No Code lately, so this Yield topic is about 12months past due for me. I'll swing back around to obsessing about that one in a while I'm sure, so no worries.

On a completely unrelated note, does anyone care to share their thoughts on Vedder's take on Reign 'O er me?

No Code is a great album.

I think Ed does a great job on Who songs, because he such a Who freak.

I do love Vitalogy's slightly off-kilter but mostly traditional dimly lit meditation on life. It's not bleak like The Cure or Scott Walker, but it's the anthemic force that comes with the slightly dark territory. The first three songs are just a crazy triple header. I don't think I've ever heard anyone call Last Exit their favorite song, but when you hear it, you do feel excited to call yourself a Pearl Jam fan. And then comes the addictive ambiguous Spin The Black Circle and Not For You, which really seals the beauty and the mire in Vitalogy. Each song on Vitalogy sounded exciting, anthemic, and familiar (except for Stupid Mop, which in its own right, isn't a song).

I still like Ten as I revisit more often. It's a great debut. It probably rounds out as my 4th favorite. But I still can't get over how terrible Even Flow is. Yeah, I said it. Not all the songs stood on their own, but the album stands strong still. My problem with Ten is some of the lyrics and the vocal delivery, when Ed was still getting in touch.

Love to read the comments.

For me, its the entire catalog of songs from Ten to Binaural that amazes me. That was quite a run of excellent records. I also think Binaural is underrated. Terrific record from start to finish.

I do not listen Ten, Vs. or Vitalogy very much anymore. I have come to prefer more recent live versions of those songs. The Lukin/Not For You/Blood sandwich for example.

I still listen to No code, Yield and Binaural on a regular basis though.

Riot Act has four good songs-definitely the weakest IMHO.

Pear Jam (self-titled)was a good record, but there are a few songs I skip when I spin it.

Backspacer has really grown on me over time, even though I hate the production. Supersonic is the only song I skip when I spin that record.

Cant wait to see whats up next!

Love to read the comments.

For me, its the entire catalog of songs from Ten to Binaural that amazes me. That was quite a run of excellent records. I also think Binaural is underrated. Terrific record from start to finish.

I do not listen Ten, Vs. or Vitalogy very much anymore. I have come to prefer more recent live versions of those songs. The Lukin/Not For You/Blood sandwich for example.

I still listen to No code, Yield and Binaural on a regular basis though.

Riot Act has four good songs-definitely the weakest IMHO.

Pear Jam (self-titled)was a good record, but there are a few songs I skip when I spin it.

Backspacer has really grown on me over time, even though I hate the production. Supersonic is the only song I skip when I spin that record.

Cant wait to see whats up next!

Johnny Guitar is the weakest BSP track by far, followed by Supersonic, but I love the new record way more than 2006's. Except for Johnny Guitar there are no skipable tracks like i.e. Marker In The Sand, WWS, Parachutes, Army Reserve or Big Wave (the last which feels like a retroactive BSP b-side). Well that's half the album named right there. I do enjoy the hell out of Severed Hand, Gone and especially Inside Job (the last feels very Binaural).

In fact, Backspacer is my 2nd favorite PJ album right this moment but that's a very fluid ranking (aka what records I've played most recently). The triple threat Just Breathe-ATW-Unthought Known is the most powerful one since Footsteps-Wash-Dead Man.

On another topic: those who don't have them should search out the 2000 live demos for a killer Rearviewmirror, and the 2006 Belgium bootleg for a crazy "Crazy Mary".

Johnny Guitar is the weakest BSP track by far, followed by Supersonic, but I love the new record way more than 2006's. Except for Johnny Guitar there are no skipable tracks like i.e. Marker In The Sand, WWS, Parachutes, Army Reserve or Big Wave (the last which feels like a retroactive BSP b-side). Well that's half the album named right there. I do enjoy the hell out of Severed Hand, Gone and especially Inside Job (the last feels very Binaural).

In fact, Backspacer is my 2nd favorite PJ album right this moment but that's a very fluid ranking (aka what records I've played most recently). The triple threat Just Breathe-ATW-Unthought Known is the most powerful one since Footsteps-Wash-Dead Man.

On another topic: those who don't have them should search out the 2000 live demos for a killer Rearviewmirror, and the 2006 Belgium bootleg for a crazy "Crazy Mary".

Its funny because I love Johnny Guitar-except for that annoying fade out-and dislike gone and inside job as well as come back and big wave-but I like the rest of that record.

And if anyone wants to hear what I think is one of the best recent PJ shows I suggest the Philly Spectrum show from 10/30/09.

Main Set:

Gonna See My Friend, The Fixer, In My Tree, Given To Fly, Tremor Christ, Untitled, MFC, Hold On, Unthought Known, In Hiding, Deep, Habit, Cropduster, Off He Goes, Force of Nature, Present Tense, Got Some, Do The Evolution

Encore 1:

Just Breathe, Parting Ways, Jeremy, Breath, Light Years, Rearviewmirror

Encore 2:

Whipping, Crazy Mary, Footsteps, Once, Alive, Sonic Reducer, Baba O'Riley

Just a killer setlist. Even the cropduster was good that night. Probably the second best PJ show Ive ever seen.

• 2 weeks later...

Its funny because I love Johnny Guitar-except for that annoying fade out-and dislike gone and inside job as well as come back and big wave-but I like the rest of that record.

And if anyone wants to hear what I think is one of the best recent PJ shows I suggest the Philly Spectrum show from 10/30/09.

Main Set:

Gonna See My Friend, The Fixer, In My Tree, Given To Fly, Tremor Christ, Untitled, MFC, Hold On, Unthought Known, In Hiding, Deep, Habit, Cropduster, Off He Goes, Force of Nature, Present Tense, Got Some, Do The Evolution

Encore 1:

Just Breathe, Parting Ways, Jeremy, Breath, Light Years, Rearviewmirror

Encore 2:

Whipping, Crazy Mary, Footsteps, Once, Alive, Sonic Reducer, Baba O'Riley

Just a killer setlist. Even the cropduster was good that night. Probably the second best PJ show Ive ever seen.

Thanks for the bootleg tip, the ones I named weren't actually so recent. Did your recommendations have soundboard quality as well as killer versions or one or the other?

Wow, I couldn't disagree with you more about the tracks on the latest two albums, just to test out how opposite we actually are (well how opposite one can possibly be as big fans): rank these from favorite to least favorite

Smile

Faithful

The Fixer

Light Years

Red Mosquito

This is easy as pecan pie for me so I'm curious about your answer.

Thanks for the bootleg tip, the ones I named weren't actually so recent. Did your recommendations have soundboard quality as well as killer versions or one or the other?

Wow, I couldn't disagree with you more about the tracks on the latest two albums, just to test out how opposite we actually are (well how opposite one can possibly be as big fans): rank these from favorite to least favorite

Smile

Faithful

The Fixer

Light Years

Red Mosquito

This is easy as pecan pie for me so I'm curious about your answer.

Different strokes.....

Since that boot is still for sale through the 10c, I would just say that version. Official Flac sound board matrix.

hmm ranking

tough to rank the first three but

faithful

red mosquito

smile

fixer

light years

I guess Pearl Jam is allowing their 2000 soundboards to seed on the torrent sites. Starting from the 1st one of 2000, someone has been uploading them on Bt.Etree. With the exception of radio airplay, I don't listen to much Pearl Jam. I have been down loading a few of their 2000 shows, though.

I did see them play a Lolla a few years back - good show.

I guess Pearl Jam is allowing their 2000 soundboards to seed on the torrent sites. Starting from the 1st one of 2000, someone has been uploading them on Bt.Etree. With the exception of radio airplay, I don't listen to much Pearl Jam. I have been down loading a few of their 2000 shows, though.

I did see them play a Lolla a few years back - good show.

Once the boots are no longer for sale, they basically allow free exchanges. At the moment, 2008, 2009 and 2010 are available for purchase through the 10c. Anything before that is fair game. Lolla was a good show. Hoping for more dates in 2011-the 20th anniversary tour! The three nights at jones beach in 2000 were fantastic.