The Pearl Jam Thread

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I'm watching the film by way of On Demand. I'd say it's pretty powerful so far. I'd like to have the hat that Jeff is wearing - since those are my initials.

I would have loved to see them back in the early days. That song Immortality gets me every time.

I'd forgotten about the Temple Of The Dog album. I still have the tape I bought when it came out.

• 8 months later...

We are pleased to announce that Pearl Jam is headlining Made in America Music Festival curated by Jay-Z. Made in America takes place Labor Day Weekend (Saturday, September 1st - Sunday, September 2nd) at Benjamin Franklin Parkway in Philadelphia’s Fairmount Park.

PLEASE NOTE: Made In America Festival will announce Pearl Jam's exact performance date and time in the coming weeks.

In addition to Pearl Jam, this 2-day music festival will include performances from fellow artists like Jay-Z, Passion Pit, Dirty Projectors and much more.

Official website: http://www.madeinamericafest.com/

Some mixed feelings about PJ playing a jay z fest.....

Big mixed feelings on how prominent Budweiser's sponsorship is.

Pearl Jam stopped carrying about that kind of thing years ago. they're mostly all about the $$ now, and i say this as someone who has attended 37 shows from 1995-2011 :/

Pearl Jam stopped carrying about that kind of thing years ago. they're mostly all about the $$ now, and i say this as someone who has attended 37 shows from 1995-2011 :/

I agree. the PJ20 concerts in Alpine were a nice exception that I attended. Really fun.

which is why Im surprised they have not re-released their albums on 180g vinyl.

They have released 10, vs. and vitalogy ion 180g vinyl-as part of deluxe box sets-perhaps adding support to Solace's statement-you need to buy a bunmch of other crap to get the 180g vinyl

you need to buy a bunmch of other crap to get the 180g vinyl

No you don't. You can buy all three of their recent reissues in standalone 180g vinyl. And I'm not into the schwag, but the prices on the Super Deluxe boxes are fairly reasonable.

I point to their ticket prices as exhibit A of their "green disease". Exhibit B might be the increasing price and the decreasing quality of the 10c analog package. Charging $40 for some ugly stickers, a fucking patch, and a really generic letter from Jeff Ament is pretty fucking brash.

• 1 month later...

This is pretty cool:

Pearl Jam Superfan Creates Band's Setlist

'It was better than winning the lottery,' says original member of PJ's Ten Club

Brian Farias knows that there are people who have seen Pearl Jam more than the 108 times he has. However, on June 27th, the 46-year-old Rhode Island native did something that diehard fans of the band can only dream of: he created the setlist for an entire Pearl Jam show.

"I thought I was hearing things when [frontman] Eddie [Vedder] offered it to me," Farias recalls. He was selected by Ten Club, Pearl Jam's longtime fan group, to be flown to Amsterdam to attend a pair of shows and meet the band. He is one of what the Ten Club calls its "charter members" – because, as Farias puts it, he's "been there since the very, very beginning." He was a fan club member for Mother Love Bone, the grunge outfit fronted by the late Andy Wood that gave rise to Pearl Jam. "I kinda got rolled over into Ten Club," he explains.

Farias’ first Pearl Jam experience occurred before the band had even released Ten, their landmark 1991 debut. "It wasn't even on their itinerary," he recalls of the Providence, Rhode Island show at Club Baby Head. "The paid admission was only 12 people or something. It's one of those small venues where the stage is only knee-high. Even at that, Eddie was swinging from the ceiling."

Last week, while on his flight to Amsterdam, Farias had no idea that he'd soon be making what some fans are now calling the "greatest Pearl Jam setlist of all time." But once Vedder gave him the opportunity, Farias’ real work began. As he explains, the challenge became how best to balance his own "selfish" desires with songs that audience members would enjoy, while also taking into consideration what the band was capable of playing. "It was really stressful," he admits of the setlist-building process, "because it's something you know is never gonna happen again. You’re only getting one shot at it."

Farias estimates he went through 40 or 50 drafts before deciding upon a final setlist. The band, he says, came through: they played 90 to 95 percent of his requests. He does admit there were a few songs the band opted out of playing; however, Vedder promised him that at the next show he attended, if he gave the band a week's notice, he would hear the tracks.

In the end, Farias concocted a setlist for the ages. The second of the two Amsterdam shows – or as he calls it, "my show" – included deep cuts ("Alone," a b-side from the Vs. single "Go"), vintage rarities ("Crown of Thorns," a rarely-played Mother Love Bone number) and crowd favorites ("Alive," Daughter"). In fact, there was only one song, Farias says, that he absolutely needed to hear: "Bugs." The obscure Vitalogy cut, on which Vedder plays accordion and rambles about insects, had only been played once in concert, and it was the only album cut that Farias had never heard. Vedder was initially hesitant. "Brian, we didn't bring the accordion. I don't have it with me," the singer told Farias. But, as Farias explains, "Ed being Ed, always going above and beyond, he went back to his hotel and learned a way to do it on guitar. He turned it into a totally beautiful, different song."

To top off the experience, Farias was brought out for a bow with the entire band at the end of the show. "The bow meant more to me than everything," he says. "For the Pearl Jam audience to give me that much love, I can't imagine what Eddie feels."

Now, even a week after the fact, the reality of the experience still hasn't sunk in for Farias. "It still doesn't seem real," he says. "As more time goes on, it gets even more emotional. It's better than winning the lottery. All the money in the world, I couldn't bribe Eddie Vedder to let me make his setlist. It was like programming your iPod and then Pearl Jam show up in your yard and play it for you."

Setlist:

"Wash"

"Last Exit"

"Animal"

"State of Love and Trust"

"Severed Hand"

"Corduroy"

"I Got Shit"

"Daughter/WMA"

"Nothing As It Seems"

"Got Some"

"Dissident"

"Once"

"Glorified G"

"Deep"

"The Fixer"

"Bugs"

"Better Man"

Encore 1:

"Release"

"Hail, Hail"

"Alone"

"Footsteps"

"Rearview Mirror"

Encore 2:

"Crown of Thorns"

"Sonic Reducer"

"Alive"

"Baba O’Riley"

"Yellow Ledbetter/Little Wing"

This is pretty cool:

[/background][/left][/color]

I agree! I read this the other day and thought how amazing it would be to get to do this for a Wilco show. People get to do something kind of similar at living room shows and the charity shows for Tweedy solo, but to actually put together the setlist for a full-on Wilco concert that's going to be attended by regular concertgoers and not just superfans? That would be incredibly cool.

I love the care and seriousness that this guy put into crafting his setlist. I'm sure some of us here could do a creditable job for Wilco. I'd love to see the band offer up an opportunity like this to a longtime fan. But can you imagine what a dilemma it would be to put something like that together--trying to create the "perfect" setlist?

That is weird as hell. UPS are the new roadies?

Yeah I haven't quite figured out my reaction to it either. Stone the environmentalist giving kudos to UPS in what sure looks like a commercial.

Although I could never appreciate the music of Pearl Jam I was reminded of how beautiful it is their song, Elderly woman behind the counter in a small town, this weekend when it popped up on a radio station. In my opinion it's the song where the musical styles of R.E.M. and Pearl Jam most closely intersect, the day's not far away when I purchase "Vs."