The Pearl Jam Thread

anybody score tix yesterday?

I got hartford reserved, but shut out for brooklyn and philly

I love all the records up to binaural-I think that string of records is amongst the best any band has put out

after that they are all sort of the same, a few tracks I love, a few that are ok and a few that I skip

I will say that backspacer is the only record since binaural where I dont skip any tracks-its a good listen all the way through IMHO (even if some of the lyrics are a bit corny)

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got tickets for Charlottesville and Charlotte.

They played until 2:00 AM last night at Wrigley due to weather.  They were determined to give the fans a full show due to the logistical nightmare it would have been to cancel or postpone the show.  Just one of the many reasons they are my favorite band of all-time.

And if we're playing the ranking game, today my list would go:

No Code

Yield

Ten

Vs

Vitalogy

S/T

Backspacer

Binaural

Riot Act

Setlist from Chicago:

Release

Nothingman

Present Tense

Hold On

Low Light

Come Back

Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town

All The Way

(Eddie Vedder song)

All Night

Do the Evolution

Setting Forth

(Eddie Vedder song)

Corduroy

Faithfull

Mind Your Manners

Lightning Bolt

(song debut)

State of Love and Trust

Wishlist

Even Flow

Leatherman

Eruption

(Van Halen cover)

Bugs

Why Go

Unthought Known

Rearviewmirror

Encore:

Future Days

(song debut)

Mother

(Pink Floyd cover)

Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns

(Mother Love Bone cover)

Porch

Wasted Reprise

Life Wasted

Black

Rockin' in the Free World

Long day/night/morning at wrigley.

Great atmoshpere, great crowd and great sound. The band really played their heart's out given the situation. So many others would have been back at their hotel. Great time.

• 2 months later...

The snippets they kept throwing out sounded awesome, and then the full versions failed to live up to what I imagined the songs would be. It may be no accident then that my two favorite songs are tunes they did not preview - Yellow Moon and Infallible. Still the album is growing on me - I'd say the sum is greater than any individual parts. My favorite consecutive part of the album is the closing three songs.

Oh, and it looks like they have some great merchandise this time. The last few tours the selections were rather unpalatable.

Without listening through them all again as a refresher, I would say No Code is my favorite.

I check the Sunday paper ads every week, especially Best Buy and Target, to see if there are any music deals/exclusives.

The Pearl Jam Lightning Bolt regular CD is marked at $15.99 in Best Buy's ad!

There is nothing to indicate special packaging, bonus tracks, T-shirt, vinyl, etc..

I have never seen a normal (no bonuses/extras) single (1) CD marked this high on opening week in a Best Buy ad.

Never.

The most common sale price on opening week when they are advertised in a sales paper is $9.99, sometimes $11.99. Even rarer is $7.99.

Target is advertising it at $9.99 with nothing extra.

I think this is a smaller version of what has happened with the vinyl market.  Most labels figure collectors are the minority any more so they market physical product at a boutiquey kind of price.  Granted with vinyl it usually costs more, but you get more.  On the CD they probably figured: the majority will never buy it, but the minority will always buy it.  Therefore, mark it up.  You get gouged for liking high quality audio and having liner notes in your hand.

I think this is a smaller version of what has happened with the vinyl market.  Most labels figure collectors are the minority any more so they market physical product at a boutiquey kind of price.  Granted with vinyl it usually costs more, but you get more.  On the CD they probably figured: the majority will never buy it, but the minority will always buy it.  Therefore, mark it up.  You get gouged for liking high quality audio and having liner notes in your hand.

and they know people will pay a premium when the CD is first released

I don't think any of PJ's regular albums have ever come with extras. Only the re-releases have. Yield was going to have the live JJJ broadcast from Melbourne, but the got squashed literally at the last minute. Best Buy allowed you to get another CD for free instead. I picked Sweetheart of the Rodeo.

My little brother texted me from The Centrum (Worcester, MA) last night before the show only to tell me that the place is a pit. I knew this as I've seen the GD there a bunch. I told him that the old Philly Spectrum was worse and he agreed, saying he saw PJ close it out in '09 on/around Halloween where they came out dressed as Devo and played "Whip It." Pretty cool.

My little brother texted me from The Centrum (Worcester, MA) last night before the show only to tell me that the place is a pit. I knew this as I've seen the GD there a bunch. I told him that the old Philly Spectrum was worse and he agreed, saying he saw PJ close it out in '09 on/around Halloween where they came out dressed as Devo and played "Whip It." Pretty cool.

The halloween show in 09 was good and long, but the night before was better musically

Seems like they played a killer show last night.

I love old shitty venues! Old coliseums are awesome. They really are stuck in time as they usually only have a few things a year that go on there. The Richmond Coliseum and The Hampton Coliseum are both like stepping back in time.

Youll never see a better coliseum show than Hampton and the spaceship is taking off this Friday night

hampton_outside.jpg

The price makes more sense now.

I got the CD shipped to me for $8.65 through Hasting's. That was pre-order price.

It comes in a hard bound CD size book with all the lyrics and artwork.

Looking at Amazon's description, they do describe it as such. No ads, nothing on PJ's website, no pictures on the internet that I have seen point to the fact that it comes in this really nice book.

I think one of the things that made me go ahead and get Backspacer was that if you bought it at Target you were able to download 2 complete live shows. There was a website where you could pick out of about 20 shows. I burned each show to CD and they both required 2 discs.

yeah not sure how that's the case but that's cool. I stay in the front right corner so maybe the floor wont be so packed :)

see on the left side you cant do this BUT on the right side you can take the hallway all the way up front by the stage and just walk in right there. been going to that spot for 25 years now and we always have the best of times.

yeah not sure how that's the case but that's cool. I stay in the front right corner so maybe the floor wont be so packed :)

Even right now on stubhub they are under $40 (minus the $15 service fee, but that's still under face value) for tonight's show.....

I hate to write this, but good grief this new Pearl Jam album is disappointing. I hung with them until the Self-Titled album but with that, Backspacer, and now this mess  I think I'm done. They are now as boring as all the crappy bands that came out emulating them. Again, I'm a long-time fan but I can't get over how simply bland this album is. I don't know exactly what the issue is but I think they need to get in a room and listen to "No Code" about 50 times for some musical inspiration. "Binaural" and "Riot Act" are like avant-garde masterpieces compared to this stuff.

My verdict on the record is still out. But like all PJ records, they take time to grow on you.

But I will say that the show they played at the Barclay's last night was fantastic. As good as ever.

Pearl Jam,
Barclays Center
Brooklyn, NY
Oct 19, 2013
Show Two Set List

01. Pendulum-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
02. Wash
03. Nothingman
04. Lightning Bolt-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
05. Mind Your Manners -(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
06. Last Exit
07. Hail Hail
08. In Hiding
09. Down
10. Sirens-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
11. Even Flow
12. Infallible-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
13. Present Tense
14. Rats
15. Unthought Known
16. Immortality
17. State Of Love And Trust
18. Once
19. Given To Fly
20. Better Man/Save It For Later-(Charley, Cox, Morton, Steele, Wakeling)
Encore Break 1
21. Footsteps
22. Yellow Moon-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
23. All Those Yesterdays
24. Future Days-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
25. Do The Evolution
26. Go
27. Porch
Encore Break 2
28. Whipping
29. Blood
30. Leaving Here-(Holland/Dozier/Holland)
31. Black
32. Alive
33. Rockin’ In The Free World-(Young)
34. Yellow Ledbetter/Star Spangled Banner

Pearl Jam week on Jimmy Fallon:

We'll kick things off on October 21 with Soundgarden frontman Chris Cornell performing "Footsteps" backed by members of the Avett Brothers.

On October 22, Fleet Foxes frontman Robin Pecknold will break a long hiatus from performing when he covers "Corduroy" backed by special guests.

Then on October 23, country superstar Dierks Bentley will team up with Pearl Jam's Mike McCready and the Roots for a one-of-a-kind performance.

The week will culminate with Pearl Jam returning to the "Late Night" stage on October 24 and 25 to debut music from "Lightning Bolt," which will be in stores on October 15.