The Pearl Jam Thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pleasantly surprised with the album. I do wish they would record with Rick Rubin or Steve Albini so it will basically sound like live in studio with overdubs.

Its really growing on me. I think Ed's vocals are fantastic. This record makes backspacer feel like an EP. 

Wow, too bad some long-time fans aren't digging the new album.  As a hardcore fan who thinks No Code is their masterpiece, I think LB is far and away their most consistent album since Yield.  I thought the S/T album was their best since then until now.  I do think Brendan O'Brien does way more harm than good with his overly-slick production, but top-to-bottom this album is classic IMO.

On a related note, I did get to see them twice last week and of the 21 times I've seen them now the Charlottesville show will go down as the best hands-down.  It felt great to finally be at one of "those shows" that will go down as one that other fans are jealous of.

It's cool to see them doing  Leaving Here. That must be due to Eddie's love of The Who.

The Who - Leaving Here

Yes, and PJ's studio version appeared on a 1995 compliation entitled Home Alive. They rock it. I was fortunate to hear PJ do The Seekeer one of the very few times they've played it, but my favorite Who cover was The Real Me from the VH1 tribute show. Totally fucking nailed it. Pardon my french, but they did.

I probably will end up ranking Lightning Bolt above Binaural for sure, and maybe above Avocado too.

• 11 months later...

Pearl Jam played all of No Code last night in Moline, IL. Pretty cool. Only the second time they've ever played any of their albums all the way through (They played Ten straight through in 1992). Lucky crowd out there. Anybody seen their show this year? Nostalgia rock?

Pearl Jam played all of No Code last night in Moline, IL. Pretty cool. Only the second time they've ever played any of their albums all the way through (They played Ten straight through in 1992). Lucky crowd out there. Anybody seen their show this year? Nostalgia rock?

That is my favorite album of theirs. So they didn't announce that they would do it, just showed up and did it?

I wonder how they pull off those weird/experimental tracks live. They used to have at least one on about 3 or 4 albums in a row.

Anybody seen their show this year? Nostalgia rock?

I saw them in Tulsa a couple weeks ago.  They had never played in Tulsa, and I had never been to OK.  I only know two or three Pearl Jam records, but I recognized most of the songs, so I assume they gave Tulsa a bit of a greatest hits show.  

Fun show.  Well played.  High energy   Good crowd.  A little kid got on stge to play Baba O'Reilly with them. Stage banter was site-specific and not phoned-in.   Wah-Wah pedal cam.  Lots of guitar soloing.  Eddie played guitar for most of the show, which I was not expecting.

Pearl Jam is the antithesis of nostalgia rock.  Sure, they'll play some predictable songs but they have been playing between 30-35 songs for their non-festival shows so that's bound to happen,  They always have a treat or two in store for the diehards and the No Code show in Moline proves that they don't care about just playing the hits when playing a town for the first time in their career.  I'm still in shock that they did that.  Friday was my birthday and No Code is my all-time favorite album (from anyone) so even though I was many miles away I took it as their gift to me... lol

Oh and they also played their 2006 S/T album (the "avocado" album) in its entirety in Torino, Italy that year unannounced (of course).

It looks like I'm going to Pearl Jam tomorrow night, excited to see what they will play with these reports of them doing full albums.  I have not seen them (other than some bridge school stuff) in about 20 years. 

I caught the Yield show! Amazing to say the least. My favorite album of theirs. They didn't do a full album in Minny so I wouldn't count on it in Denver (although I hope you get an amazing show).

Eddie came into the crowd during Porch and was about 2 feet away from me which was a cool experience.

I caught the Yield show! Amazing to say the least. My favorite album of theirs. They didn't do a full album in Minny so I wouldn't count on it in Denver (although I hope you get an amazing show).

Eddie came into the crowd during Porch and was about 2 feet away from me which was a cool experience.

Lucky bastard! :)

Very cool!  Saw them on Halloween back in 1993 (Greek Theatre in Berkeley) and was right in front of the stage, even got one of McCready's guitar picks.  Kind of bummed this is at the Pepsi Center and I have no idea where my seats are but should be good music.  Don't think I will be up close and personal this time.

I'm hoping I don't get the avocado album tonight, would take anything else really...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...