The Pearl Jam Thread

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The political banter on this tour was kept to a minimum - it was actually near non-existent, certainly at the 4 shows I attended. There was maybe one remark at the two MSG shows. This tour was much more about connecting with the fans in personally meaningful ways than in making broad political statements.

There are no pro-Obama songs. Bu$hleaguer is the only Bush song I can think of. What are the other one or two? BInaural, Riot Act, and Avocado certainly had very topical songs for the times, but no other tunes specifically aimed at Bush.

Binaural was originally advertised with a 16-song tracklist. That would have been the closest to a double-album.

Been a fan of PJ since the beginning (Ten was the first cd I ever bought) and I obsessed over them (well, mostly Eddie and Jeff) hard for 3 or 4 years, as much as you could obsess over a band in the pre-internet era.  Fast forward 25 years and I've only seen them a handful of times, mainly because the first show I had tix to was cancelled during that whole TM thing and the fact that I was dirt poor during the height of my obsession. Watching the PJ20 documentary was pretty eye opening (I didn't even recognize MM) for me because I had fallen out of love with the band for many years. Just saw them last month in my hometown though and I'm a fan again. Now that I'm older and can appreciate the musicianship much more I am totally a Stone fan. I am currently digging his weird solo stuff. I also enjoy listening to MM's interviews on PJ radio. I hope it's not another 8 years before I get to see them live again. 

• 1 month later...

This is sort of surprising. 

Temple of the Dog, a group that includes Chris Cornell along with Pearl Jam's Jeff Ament, Matt Cameron, Mike McCready and Stone Gossard, have announced their first ever tour, which will kick off on November 4 at the Tower Theater in Philadelphia, PA. The band released one self-titled album in 1991 and is celebrating the record's 25th anniversary this year with a reissue collection that can be pre-ordered  here, along with the tour.

Temple of the Dog came together for a brief sub-reunion last year in Seattle, when all five members played a couple Temple of the Dog tunes during a reunion of the surviving Mad Season members. Cornell and Pearl Jam also collaborated during the band's 2011 20th anniversary at Alpine Valley, playing "Hunger Strike" from Temple of the Dog. Watch videos of both performances below. 

Besides the opening date in Philly, this year's tour includes stops in New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles and Seattle. A PJ/Soundgarden/Cornell fan club pre-sale is now ongoing through July 27, and tickets go on sale to the public on July 29.  View the tour dates below. 

Temple of the Dog Tour

November 4 Philadelphia, PA--Tower Theater
November 7 New York, NY--Madison Square Garden 
November 11 San Francisco, CA--Bill Graham Civic Center 
November 14 Los Angeles, CA--The Forum 
November 20 Seattle, WA--Paramount Theatre 

Didn't Eddie only share the vocals on "Hunger Strike" (and maybe some backing vocals on a couple others)? Doubt he'd show up just for one tune....(even if it IS the best tune on the album).

Didn't Eddie only share the vocals on "Hunger Strike" (and maybe some backing vocals on a couple others)? Doubt he'd show up just for one tune....(even if it IS the best tune on the album).

I believe you are correct, sir. I'd totally go see them sans Eddie if they were doing more than five shows (and closer to me). 

I'm holding out for the Mother Love Bone reunion.

Well.....

I scored tickets for the Seattle show on Wednesday. You know, Pearl Jam haven't played here for the 25th anniversary. I'm pretty sure Eddie will be at the show here. He shows up at shows all of the time. I have actually seen PJ once without Eddie when they backed Neil Young at the Reading Festival. Needless to say that was pretty good. BTW: This TOTD tour totally caught me by surprise. A very good surprise, indeed!

I'm holding out for the Mother Love Bone reunion.

I bought those albums a while back. I could not get into the sound which mostly ruined the songs for me.  I think it was due to the sound being so thin sounding. There was potential there - but they had a ways to go. 

I bought those albums a while back. I could not get into the sound which mostly ruined the songs for me.  I think it was due to the sound being so thin sounding. There was potential there - but they had a ways to go. 

Indie rock tended to definitely have a homemade, tinny sound back them.  Wonder why that was.  

Temple of the Dog tour is kind of weird.  It's basically Cornell with PJ, no.  I really can't believe how much time has passed since those bands were ubiquitous with the times.  My 20s were suddenly gone.

Indie rock tended to definitely have a homemade, tinny sound back them.  Wonder why that was.  

Temple of the Dog tour is kind of weird.  It's basically Cornell with PJ, no.  I really can't believe how much time has passed since those bands were ubiquitous with the times.  My 20s were suddenly gone.

But why is that weird? That's who TOTD is, except when they first formed Matt Cameron was a member of Soundgarden. Which I suppose he still is? I'm with you on time passing, though I'm not too upset about leaving my 20s behind. 

Some stuff is getting lost about TOTD. I was in the music biz in Seattle during those years (25 years while there still was a music biz) & was witness to a lot. When TOTD was recorded, Pearl Jam didn't even exist as such. Eddie had just moved up from San Diego & it was Mookie Blaylock. Soundgarden had put out indie records & Louder Than Love on A & M. They put out TOTD & did absolutely nothing to promote it. Fast forward about a year (give or take) PJ 10 & Soundgarden Badmotorfinger are out & the whole scene is exploding. A friend of mine worked as a local radio rep for A & M & after much badgering, got the label to invest more in the record. The rest is history. Eddie Vedder only sang Hunger Strike & a backup vocals on a few others. He wasn't really in the band such as it was. That being said, I'm pretty sure he'll appear at least at some of the shows. I wouldn't be surprised if he did all of them. With one record, kind of skimpy for headlining MSG or the Forum. What I see happening most likely is Eddie will do the Mother Love Bone songs that he does with PJ, along with Hunger Strike, etc. I also wouldn't be surprised if they add a night or 2 in Seattle. The Paramount is only 2800 seats. The demand is absolutely insane. I got in on the presale & got good seats in the balcony. They were spendy, even getting them on presale. $230 for a pair. Just for giggles, I checked some ticketbroker sites. Asking price for seats similar to mine is $800 to $1000 each right now. The main floor is even higher. I'm going but wow!

The political banter on this tour was kept to a minimum - it was actually near non-existent, certainly at the 4 shows I attended. There was maybe one remark at the two MSG shows. This tour was much more about connecting with the fans in personally meaningful ways than in making broad political statements.

There are no pro-Obama songs. Bu$hleaguer is the only Bush song I can think of. What are the other one or two? BInaural, Riot Act, and Avocado certainly had very topical songs for the times, but no other tunes specifically aimed at Bush.

Binaural was originally advertised with a 16-song tracklist. That would have been the closest to a double-album.

Maybe jumped the gun on saying the 2 or 3 anti-Bush songs.

I would have to listen back.

They did perform a very angry or passionate Masters of War on TV, maybe Letterman, while Bush was president (I think?).

I did not know it was a Dylan song at the time and I was like, "Woah, that is heavy, man!" Ha.

I'm not sure why they did the song then. I would have to Google it.

Heading to Fenway Night 2 on Sunday

Searching for a last minute drop after stage goes up Thursday ..

Should put hoping instead of searching..

Just saw on their forum that 10c tickets were released this morning.  I didn't try in the lottery so I guess that excludes me, though.

If they were playing closer to me, say Atlanta, I would totally go. Wish they were doing more than 5 shows. 

I'm that girl who's quoting herself....ended up getting tix for Philly Night 1. Just tried on a whim, guess that's the secret. I know all the shows sold out pretty fast. 

Caught a great Field seat on the drop, thanks !!!

Here's a great rundown of the Friday Night Fenway Setlist

http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/258054/fenway-1-boston-ma-fanviews-here-8-5-16

Hope you had a blast! Night 1 setlist was awesome but Night 2 was epic. Nothing as it Seems, Hail Hail, Lukin (!), Not for You (!!!), Yellow Moon, Angel, Smile, etc.  I watched via periscope both nights. Now I want to go to Wrigley. 

• 3 weeks later...

Yeh big fan seen them 4 times, Manchester UK 3 times and Milton Keynes in 2014....amazing live band...best was in June 2012 at Manchester arena, my mum had been diagnosed with cancer two months before and this was her last concert...she died 2 years later and with the bootleg I can relive that night. precious. Wish they would release more studio albums...but find I listen to the bootlegs more. Anyone who hasn't experienced a concert live on two legs is a good introduction , most powerful live album I've ever heard...daughter especially. Great band...

• 5 weeks later...

Just tuned into the Global Citizen Festival (MSNBC) to catch Chris Martin & Eddie Vedder do a duet of Crowded House's Don't Dream It's Over. Pearl Jam "headlined" last year and had several songs cut from the broadcast.

They're doing Nothingman now with Chris Martin playing piano & Eddie singing. Eddie on electric & Chris on acoustic doing Patti Smith's People Have The Power.