The Pearl Jam Thread

I think I'm in the minority by saying that I would trade Ed never touring solo for one show of the entire band. I went and I'm glad I went, but I probably won't go again.

i'm with you in that minority as well then I guess.

Ed's solo shows don't interest me that much because a) a good chunk of it is Into The Wild songs, which in the context of the film are good, but otherwise too short to really make a big impact on me, and as someone pointed out, the 2 best songs on the soundtrack were written by someone other than Ed. B) of the actual Pearl Jam songs he plays, most are ones that he's always played solo often (Driftin', Man of The Hour, Dead Man, etc.) and he didn't really re-work hardly any of PJ's best songs to play solo c) the best things about his solo shows imo are actually the covers, which while his covers are almost always great, that's kind of sad imo.

sure he's gotten a lot better playing solo as a result of these past 2 solo tours, but he still fucks up/stops/forgets lyrics way more than someone of his professional caliber should (could you imagine Bruce doing that?).

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm with you in that minority as well then I guess.

Ed's solo shows don't interest me that much because a) a good chunk of it is Into The Wild songs, which in the context of the film are good, but otherwise too short to really make a big impact on me, and as someone pointed out, the 2 best songs on the soundtrack were written by someone other than Ed. B) of the actual Pearl Jam songs he plays, most are ones that he's always played solo often (Driftin', Man of The Hour, Dead Man, etc.) and he didn't really re-work hardly any of PJ's best songs to play solo c) the best things about his solo shows imo are actually the covers, which while his covers are almost always great, that's kind of sad imo.

sure he's gotten a lot better playing solo as a result of these past 2 solo tours, but he still fucks up/stops/forgets lyrics way more than someone of his professional caliber should (could you imagine Bruce doing that?).

im with you guys. i was against the prices the first time around and didnt go see him and now defiantly wont.

Wow, I couldn't disagree more. I saw three of the solo shows last summer, and they were fantastic (though the Milwaukee show was a bit rough because of a drunken rowdy crowd). I agree that it's pricey, and I won't be going out of my way to catch this tour, but I'm definitely glad I saw him last time around.

i'm sure they are fun and all, he just doesn't really impress me as a solo performer... and never has the times i've seen him do solo sets at PJ shows (like i said, the closest is his covers, esp Throw Your Arms Around Me, Trouble, and Don't Be Shy)

he doesn't have the musical chops of say Bruce Springsteen, James Taylor, Pete Townshend, etc. or even a contemporary like Ben Harper, to really impress me that much live honestly. he makes up for that a bit in intensity and his vocals, but unless he improves greatly at performing solo, or his solo work after Pearl Jam are through is mindblowing, he'll never be considered up there with the great singer/songwriters for me, which is unfortunate.

But you didn't see him on his solo tour last year, right?

I think he's an extremely compelling performer, and his musicianship has come along light years, especially in terms of his guitar playing - he's never been a particularly proficient guitarist, but I thought he did himself proud. And I love a well-chosen cover, so I don't mind that at all, especially next to some of the brilliant stuff from Into the Wild.

nope. he didn't come near here and i wouldn't have paid the $70-80 after fees either. i listened to a few shows and watched a DVD of one of them, and you're right, he's certainly gotten WAY better (and that tour only helped too), but I still didn't find it all that great either I guess. he's a funny dude, but on his own I guess I don't find him that compelling (now with Pearl Jam for sure). certainly not like say Martin Sexton or something, where my mouth just hangs open about 60% of the time at his shows.

i'm sure i'd still enjoy one of Ed's solo shows, just not enough to justify $75 (i've only paid much for like 3 artists ever, Bruce & Neil Young (well and CSNY once), and Pearl Jam at the Vic was close to $80 i think.

nope. he didn't come near here and i wouldn't have paid the $70-80 after fees either. i listened to a few shows and watched a DVD of one of them, and you're right, he's certainly gotten WAY better (and that tour only helped too), but I still didn't find it all that great either I guess. he's a funny dude, but on his own I guess I don't find him that compelling (now with Pearl Jam for sure). certainly not like say Martin Sexton or something, where my mouth just hangs open about 60% of the time at his shows.

i'm sure i'd still enjoy one of Ed's solo shows, just not enough to justify $75 (i've only paid much for like 3 artists ever, Bruce & Neil Young (well and CSNY once), and Pearl Jam at the Vic was close to $80 i think.

they are expensive tickets yes but I'm seeing ed at the tower theatre night 1 Philly.. I can't wait for this :D

if Ed was as talented of a solo performer as Tweedy was, i'd pay $60 or so, but alas.

well

they are absolutely comparable

Jeff blows the lines as well

Yes its different, but seeing EV rip "far behind" or an acoustic lukin is as good as any of the tweedy solo stuff.

Perhaps not as technically masterful, but musically outstanding just the same. If that makes sense.

disagree... i wish i didn't, but for me Tweedy solo is 10x the performer Ed is.

I've not seen Jeff fuck up that often and i've seen him solo like 8-9x now. the difference is when Jeff fucks up, he usually shrugs it off and keeps playing, Ed let's it all go to his head and often has to stop the song completely and start over or pick it back up. that to me is the diff between a good and a great solo artist, is the ability to not draw attention to their screw ups, because even the most masterful screw up on occasion.

and i guess i don't find an acoustic Lukin that great (or that song to be that great to begin with), sorry. it's fun/funny, but i've not seen Ed do anything solo acoustic that can even touch say Tweedy playing Sunken Treasure or The Lonely 1 solo.

I've not seen Jeff fuck up that often and i've seen him solo like 8-9x now. the difference is when Jeff fucks up, he usually shrugs it off and keeps playing, Ed let's it all go to his head and often has to stop the song completely and start over or pick it back up. that to me is the diff between a good and a great solo artist, is the ability to not draw attention to their screw ups, because even the most masterful screw up on occasion.

and i guess i don't find an acoustic Lukin that great (or that song to be that great to begin with), sorry. it's fun/funny, but i've not seen Ed do anything solo acoustic that can even touch say Tweedy playing Sunken Treasure or The Lonely 1 solo.

different strokes...

I find man of the hour, all or none, and many others to be just as moving.

Ive seen Tweedy completely stop and then say aw shucks I didn't want to play that song anyway. That is not really the gauge for me, its how good the music sounds with only one person on stage, fuck ups notwithstanding.

> like i said, the closest is his covers, esp Throw Your Arms Around Me

is that the Hunters & Collectors tune or some other title?. i love that band

that's it!

Ed does a killer solo cover and has done it with Mark Seymour from H&C even :)

you can find them on youtube i'm sure

• 2 weeks later...