Hey all!

I have a 1967 Fender Twin Reverb Amp and have been trying to get new sounds out of it. I've never done bridged the regular channel to the vibrato channel before today and got some interesting sounds when trying different combinations. I usually use the vibrato channel. Anyways, not a whole lot of info on this topic on the net. She's a Silverface no master volume.

Any thoughts? Ideas? Tips? Concerns?

Thanks all!

Matty

www.myspace.com/mattylyons1

BreezyGrass

yea...cool trick they dont teach you in school...you can get a bit more tube break up bridging...i have found i get some strange highend overtones which i dont always like, the vibrato channel has a bright capacitor which alot of folks cut out...

Its pluging into the normal channel and then pluggin it into the vibrato channel in hope of overdriving the amp. I've heard of people doing it but also heard about risks involved. I'm not sure what those are that's why I started the topic. Also, if people do use this method what if any are some good tips?

Hopefully someone will come along with some more info. I've been thinking of trying this with my Deluxe Reverb, but I don't have the knowhow and I don't know if I want to gamble with whatever the risks are.

The guitar player in my old band used to do this, but I never heard him plugged straight into one channel, so I have no idea how the sound was improved by bridging the two channels.

• 3 weeks later...

just wanted to update on this thread...this is for fender amps with no master volume, like DRRI, Twin, Bassman, etc..

I opened for stony larue last night and wanted a little extra meat on my sound, so i tried this technique for the first time in a long time...there was an audible difference immediately, but once we did soundcheck and the amp was in the mix, wow, what an difference...just to clarify, i used the vib 1 input for my guitar, then ran a shielded cable from vib 2 to reg 1 and used the regular channel volume as a gain...both eqs work and the guitars tone is way fatter...then i can just unplug the patch cord and go straight into the vib channel for my clean tones

I might more correctly refer to this as "daisy chain" inputs, or parallel inputs, i think there is a rewiring of the circuit that is actually 'bridging' The second channel w/reverb adds another stage to the circuit which puts the signal through that channel out of phase with the non-reverb channel. This was apparently standard practice on non-reverb fenders like the bassman and deluxe...but seems to work well with reverb equipped amp as well...

The effect is that you are now using both preamp gain stages fed into one another, and the volume controls of both channels are now used to blend in the amount of "Bright" or "Normal" volume tone to your liking. It makes the amp seem larger and more powerful, while increasing the amount of gain.

The real nice part is how interactive the volumes can be and how you can really tweak a personalized ton out of the setup.

Of note, on these amps, the volume controls are already slightly interactive, even whithout jumpering. Turning up or down the "unused" channels volume, you do hear a subtle affect on the tone of the other channel, but it is nowhere near as aggressive as when you actually jumper and feed one channel into another.

There no harm in doing this, it just adds to the signal going to the power stage, just like 2 instruments at the same time, which the amp is clearly designed for...