"Shake it off" rhythm guitar effect

I thought some of you might be able to help me. On the tune "Shake it off", Tweedy is playing rhythm guitar best heard starting at 4:13 on the studio cut. It's a swirly dirty guitar that I have trying to duplicate for over a year.

I'm more interested in find out what the modulation effect is, I assume it's got overdrive with it. To me it sounds like a leslie rotary type effect, ie deja vibe, or I'm a complete jackass and it's the rhodes piano. I don't know.

You can't really appreciate the sound on the live version found on youtube.

I'd love to hear anyone's opinion.

Thanks

I don't have any ideas about this yet, but I'll give it a listen when I get a chance. I felt compelled to post despite not having an answer since this is your first and I hate to see it go without a reply for several days. Welcome to SST. Hopefully one of us will be able to help you out.

If it were a Nels part you were investigating, this would be a little easier since a great number of threads have investigated his various pedals. Still, I think there may be a thread or two dedicated to Jeff's gear -- you may want to do a search. Looking over his pedals may give you a clue to what he's using. In my experience, when most folks have trouble figuring out what effect Jeff's using, he's using his Crowther Prunes n' Custard -- it's a pretty unique pedal.

I don't have any ideas about this yet, but I'll give it a listen when I get a chance. I felt compelled to post despite not having an answer since this is your first and I hate to see it go without a reply for several days. Welcome to SST. Hopefully one of us will be able to help you out.

If it were a Nels part you were investigating, this would be a little easier since a great number of threads have investigated his various pedals. Still, I think there may be a thread or two dedicated to Jeff's gear -- you may want to do a search. Looking over his pedals may give you a clue to what he's using. In my experience, when most folks have trouble figuring out what effect Jeff's using, he's using his Crowther Prunes n' Custard -- it's a pretty unique pedal.

Hey!

Thanks for your input, I was beginning to feel lonely over here! I think the part is played by Tweedy because on the live youtube version, Nels is clealy playing lead, while Jeff is seen strumming. It really sounds like a leslie speaker, but then again it could be their piano (rhodes or wultizer?) through a leslie or vibratone amp. I think that Nels has a fulltone deja vibe and Jeff has a boutique pedal called the Mofaux vibe. But I don't think these pedals combined with overdrive could achieve the slow growl sound I'm looking for. Plus, I was on some other forums who have agreed with statement.

I have looked into the crowther pedal, but I dont know all it can do. I will look more into it.

Thanks for trying to help!

Not a prunes and custard...not for that sound...mine has turned into a bit of a one trick pony

Could be a deja vibe, but i think the sound really does sounds more like a real leslie (ala george harrison)...as a matter of fact, i think i remember reading an article which suggested that very thing (time for google i guess)...theres no telling how much gear theyve collected in the loft

j

did a bit of listening and looking for this and would only go so far as to say it may indeed be the prunes and custard- but it's hard to tell as there does seem to be a rhodes or some other keys doubling the part. I do think i hear some ring-modulationy thing going on in there though, in the same way that the p& c has some ring-modulatory thing to go with the overdrive. Am I making any sense at all?

Anyway, i haven't seen a new pic of Jeff's board in a while. Anyone have one?

And finally, welcome to VC (from a fellow newbie)

did a bit of listening and looking for this and would only go so far as to say it may indeed be the prunes and custard- but it's hard to tell as there does seem to be a rhodes or some other keys doubling the part. I do think i hear some ring-modulationy thing going on in there though, in the same way that the p& c has some ring-modulatory thing to go with the overdrive. Am I making any sense at all?

Anyway, i haven't seen a new pic of Jeff's board in a while. Anyone have one?

And finally, welcome to VC (from a fellow newbie)

I get confused listening to it myself because of the rhodes in there. There's a couple things going on at once, but there's defintely something growling there that I need to reproduce!

Can anyone confirm that they use a leslie, vibratone, or some kid of rotating speaker on Sky Blue Sky? I can't find anything off google.

As for the P and C, I was on youtube listening to the demo and I just don't hear anything close to what I want to achieve. Not that Tweedy or Nels could have combined it with other effects to get what I'm looking for.

Anyway, thank you for your input. I'm very thankful!

I finally gave it a listen, and I don't think that Prunes n' Custard is the effect used. It does indeed sound like some sort of rotary or vibrato-type effect, unless, as has been suggested, that's bleed over from the keyboard part. Univibe or similar pedal (rotovibe, micro vibe, others already mentioned here, etc.) maybe? Perhaps a (very) little chorus mixed in? Sorry I don't have much new to offer -- my ears have a trouble separating the part out from the other tracks.

I finally gave it a listen, and I don't think that Prunes n' Custard is the effect used. It does indeed sound like some sort of rotary or vibrato-type effect, unless, as has been suggested, that's bleed over from the keyboard part. Univibe or similar pedal (rotovibe, micro vibe, others already mentioned here, etc.) maybe? Perhaps a (very) little chorus mixed in? Sorry I don't have much new to offer -- my ears have a trouble separating the part out from the other tracks.

Thanks for listening. It's hard to separate the keys from guitar, I hear you there.

• 4 weeks later...

I've seen a electro harmonix electric mistress.. I could be wrong though I think Jeff may barrow stuff from Nels

effect ensemble .. but that sound described sounds like that a bit .. i dont know just 2 cents .. good luck

• 2 weeks later...

I would second the use of an organ/keys through a leslie, or a vibrato pedal with some OD.

I've also seen pics of an old magnatone amp being used in the loft. It could have been that if it is one with pitch-shifting vibrato on there