champaign, il 1/31/09

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know the set is coming, but I'll do some highlights for you:

-Fake Plastic Trees. It's my favorite song of all time and I requested it though wilcoworld. I will be smiling for days and days.

-Two songs at the end at the front of the stage: Someone Else's Song and Acuff Rose

-Only one new song, the one Paul has been calling Everlasting Everything. I quite enjoyed that and can't wait to see what that sounds like with the band.

-The set suspiciously lacked any "audience participation" songs, i.e. Heavy Metal Drummer, Summerteeth.

-Just some epic banter tonight (Slayer, Pet Shop Boys and how Packers fans resemble walruses, Jeff thinking his son yelled "Freebird" when he actually said "Hummingbird", cha cha cha cha cha (need to listen to a recording for that one), the photo posing at the edge of the stage). Others are more gifted at telling stories through writing, so I'll leave them to describe those.

This show was everything I was hoping for, and then a ton. The audience was perfect in every way. The right amount of yelling, ABSOLUTE SILENCE during the songs, and very appreciative of what was going on in front of them. And, I will say this again and again, Jeff keeps sounding better and better. I was blown away when he hit the edge of the stage, just him and a guitar. There were two rigs and I expect a recording to sound exceptional and recommend everyone pounce on it.

The Setlist

Jeff Tweedy, 1/31/09 Foellinger Auditorium

One By One

I'm Always In Love

IATTBYH

Muzzle of Bees

Bob Dylan's 49th Beard

Radio King

Wait Up

Hummingbird

Jesus, etc.

New Song - Everlasting Everything

Airline to Heaven

Wilco the Song

Henry and the H Bombs

The Ruling Class

Spiders

E1

Remember the Mountain Bed

Fake Plastic Trees

I'm The Man Who Loves You

E2

Shot in the Arm (With PA)

Someone Else's Song (without PA)

Acuff Rose (without PA)

Amazing show!

His voice just gets better and better. I think he never picked up two of the guitars on stage (I might be wrong), so his setlist was more fluid with all the shout-out requests. The acoustics in the balcony were okay, but it was impossible to hear the banter between songs - and that's the best part! Loved the show. Too much time wasted with shout-outs, but hilarious when someone called out Slayer and Jeff jokingly tried a line. Awesome.

You know the set is coming, but I'll do some highlights for you:

-Fake Plastic Trees. It's my favorite song of all time and I requested it though wilcoworld. I will be smiling for days and days.

-Two songs at the end at the front of the stage: Someone Else's Song and Acuff Rose

-Only one new song, the one Paul has been calling Everlasting Everything. I quite enjoyed that and can't wait to see what that sounds like with the band.

-The set suspiciously lacked any "audience participation" songs, i.e. Heavy Metal Drummer, Summerteeth.

-Just some epic banter tonight (Slayer, Pet Shop Boys and how Packers fans resemble walruses, Jeff thinking his son yelled "Freebird" when he actually said "Hummingbird", cha cha cha cha cha (need to listen to a recording for that one), the photo posing at the edge of the stage). Others are more gifted at telling stories through writing, so I'll leave them to describe those.

This show was everything I was hoping for, and then a ton. The audience was perfect in every way. The right amount of yelling, ABSOLUTE SILENCE during the songs, and very appreciative of what was going on in front of them. And, I will say this again and again, Jeff keeps sounding better and better. I was blown away when he hit the edge of the stage, just him and a guitar. There were two rigs and I expect a recording to sound exceptional and recommend everyone pounce on it.

As a Packer fan, I would like to hear a little more on the whole "walrus" banter...

Some guy with a deep voice yelled, "Play Pet Shop Boys!" Jeff said that he didn't sound like someone who'd be a Pet Shop Boys fan, that he sounded more like a Packer Backer, then bantered about about envisioning a big, walrusy-looking Packers fan listening to Pet Shop Boys.

It was a really excellent show. Jeff seemed to be in excellent spirits and looked like he was having a lot of fun.

The posing at the end of the stage was absolutely hilarious! He struck all these classic, cheesy rock star poses so people could take pictures and tell others that he was out of control.

His voice sounded exceptionally well.

I don't have much to add here, except that I enjoyed the show very much and it was nice to see so many familiar faces. (Matt, I think you did perfectly well relating the stories.) I, too, was thrilled about hearing "Fake Plastic Trees" - I can only dream of having seen it performed by 7WC ensemble. And it's always interesting to hear new material, but tough to get a sense from a solo acoustic performance what a song might sound like with the full band. Something to look forward to later in the year.

I'd also like to give a shout out to the weather. Hey there, weather. Goodness knows you and I have had our differences this winter, and I'm sure we still have a hard road ahead of us to rebuild the trust we once shared. But you really came through this weekend. Another few days like this over Valentine's weekend, and I may forgive you for December.

:wub JT was lovely :wub

Loved him unplugged & the goof ball poses!

Great crowd!!!!!

Just returned to Missouri after a wonderful trip with Sal, Fatheadfred, and DocShock. Took a train from Kansas City to Iowa to visit Sal thursday & met up with the others for a nice ride to Champaign Saturday. Made time to get a massage, a swing by Springfield to see the ground Obama gave a sweet bid for the presidency & Biden accepted his plan to be the man. I found a gas station named WILCO somewhere on the way home.

I drank pure hopps tea before the show which went well with the mellow vibe from JT & the crowd. Sat a few rows behind Renic & crew. Saw Poppy Dawn (hi!) and some other VC folks there although I was to lazy to wander to that side cause I was hopped up on hopps tea & unable to move.

After the show we hit a yummy pub called "The Blind Pig Co" for some nice brew. Named one of the top 50 places to get beer in the country. About 45 minutes after the show we were in a random parking lot in the downtownish area & saw JT drive by right in front of our car. Good times!!! Thanks Jeff!

I thought you were in that area, Tammy, and looked for you after Great Lakes Swimmers when I was hanging by the stage with Wendy. I listened for you, too. :stunned

We went to The Blind Pig before the show. Awesome!

Excellent show! A few of us were eating (in separate parties) at Radio Maria before the show and Jeff and his family came in and enjoyed ( I hope) the fine dining. Its my favorite place in Champaign so it was defiantly awesome to see him there. He and I made some eye contact with a nod as they were being seated and he gave a nod and a wave to my girlfriend but other than that we let the Tweedy family enjoy their meal in peace.

But the most important part was an amazing show, seeing him at the restaurant was just a little added bonus.