champaign, il 1/31/09

what more can I add? This experience was totally worth every minute of the 9 hour drive from Tulsa...I would do it again next weekend and the next were he doing more shows there! Champaign is a very cool town though a little cold for my blood. My only disappointment came after the show when we decided to hang out to try and meet Jeff. We thought we were smart, waiting by the door where they were unloading everything. Too bad we didn't realize he was already on the bus! By the time we realized that the group gathered over there had just been graced by his presence, he was already back on the bus, closing the door. But, you live and you learn, right? Next time, I'll be right by the bus!

As for the show, Fake Plastic Trees was definitely a highlight, as well as Someone Else's Song sans PA. But then again, pretty much every moment was pretty amazing. Even the "cha cha cha's". Can't wait to hear the recording.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought you were in that area, Tammy, and looked for you after Great Lakes Swimmers when I was hanging by the stage with Wendy. I listened for you, too. :stunned

We went to The Blind Pig before the show. Awesome!

Yeah, we opted for free drinks in the hotel room before the show & pizza. I heart the Blind Pig & my Dogfish Head 90min IPA..and the lovely Laguintas IPA I slurped down. I was rather subdued @ the show from my hopps concoction. Feels like thisj5idxi.gifbut grows legally on a vine in my front yard. Great choice for a solo show.

Did you get any good pics of the show?

Excellent show! A few of us were eating (in separate parties) at Radio Maria before the show and Jeff and his family came in and enjoyed ( I hope) the fine dining. Its my favorite place in Champaign so it was defiantly awesome to see him there. He and I made some eye contact with a nod as they were being seated and he gave a nod and a wave to my girlfriend but other than that we let the Tweedy family enjoy their meal in peace.

Awesome!

"cha cha cha's

I can't help but sing "cha cha cha" now!

Huh. This happens so rarely these days since it is pretty well known that the initial seed has to leave open torrents until there is at least one complete DL to allow others to finish. Especially now that network speeds are so much faster than they were even a couple years ago.

The seed is gone. So now we are all just sharing what we got before the seed went away. I'm leaving mine running all night.

ditto. Hopefully will have something to listen to on the way to work in the morning, I'll make it a point to get up and convert it before work, damn good show.

Yeah, we opted for free drinks in the hotel room before the show & pizza. I heart the Blind Pig & my Dogfish Head 90min IPA..and the lovely Laguintas IPA I slurped down. I was rather subdued @ the show from my hopps concoction. Feels like thisj5idxi.gifbut grows legally on a vine in my front yard. Great choice for a solo show.

Did you get any good pics of the show?

We did flights at Blind Pig. I posted mine in the Now Drinking thread. That was a damn fine 30 ounces of beer.

I didn't take my camera out of my purse at all during the show. I should have, since I was in a good spot. I was also rather subdued by the hops. Also, something about sitting in a chair with a desk automatically makes me lethargic. I spent the show comfortably slumped in my seat and couldn't be bothered with the camera.

Huh. This happens so rarely these days since it is pretty well known that the initial seed has to leave open torrents until there is at least one complete DL to allow others to finish. Especially now that network speeds are so much faster than they were even a couple years ago.

I figure the dude just had some technical difficulties.

what a show! Oh what fun! My first Jeff solo. And I can die now-met Jeff at Radio Maria's. Got him right as he sat down (before waitress even got to him). My girlfriend who is a relative Wilco newbie having been introduced to the boys at the Albuquerque show with me last year along with patiently living vicariously through my obsession, looked at me with a paniced look on her face and asked "is that Jeff fucking Tweedy and his family right there?" I tried to play it cool and let him be, but she looks at me and says "Alex go do it-you have to and you have to do it now before they get settled in" She was right.

I walked over apologized saying I never wanted to do this while he was with his family but if I didn't I would hate myself forever. He seemed to "get it" and was wonderfully gracious. He chuckled when I asked for Spencer's autograph as well because I read his blog. Kinda broke the stalker awkwardsness feeling and lightened the mood. Then Jeff said "Sam you should sign it too." Sam signed (very cute). Spencer insited Sue sign but she declined. All in 30-45 seconds but I'm still grinning ear to ear. And as much as I hated bothering him had I not done it, I would have hated myself. Life is about siezing the day. I had just driven 425 miles to see this man who has inspired me so much and there he is. Too cool.

So at the venue (very cool by the way loved how it was at the top of the "quad") before the show, I see Sue and apologized again for interupting them. She was very nice saying something to the effect of it was no bother. Then I said you know my Tweedy autograph collection is incomplete without yours. Spencer lights into her "see mom I told you!" She sheepsihly signed.

Then Muzzle, Remember the Mountain Bed, Radio King, and Fake Plastic Trees were played and my head exploded. I'm still in search if it.

Great crowd who were church mouse quiet during the songs, met some really cool people and had an overall incredible time.

thanks for reading my little experience,

Alex

It's odd that not that many people grabbing the Jeff solo shows. Wilco shows usually end up with hundreds of seeders/leachers these days.

if this one doesn't surface (it will, there were at least 2 tapers-however that's what I said about the albuquerque show and it still hasn't :ohwell ) I will be seriously bummed. It was one of those shows that blows you away so much that it needs at least 3 listens to absorb it all. Right down to the guy who requested Remember the Mountain Bed, got it, shouted out a thank you whnre it was through and got a you're welcome and thanks for the request from Jeff :D

Damn, I knew we should have gone to Radio Maria's for some dinner before the show! Decided to enjoy a few frosty bevs at the hotel beforehand instead with a quick stop over at Murphy's.

The show was most excellent. One of the most behaved crowds I have seen for a Tweedy show, you could hear a pin drop during any song. Great Lake Swimmers were fantastic, very much looking forward to their new album. Jeff's set was well what can I say.... flawless. I requested One By One on wilcoworld, so felt very fortunate to hear that out of the gate. I gave a simple call for Family Gardner and Screen Door later on.... but I knew both would be a stretch anways. H Bombs was a great surprise as well as Radio, I'd probably have to go with Hummingbird as the higlight of the evening though... hadn't even realized he's ever tried that one solo before as Spencer was trying to "stump his old man". The banter was great throughout, even Jeff jokingly commented that the crowd was much too loud, esp during the songs. There was a great interaction with Jeff and some song requesters, and he mentioned that these people must be really paranoid while looking at their watches as the show grows older saying to themselves..."he's not gonna... I can't believe he not gonna f'in play that song! LMAO" At that point someone shouted play whatever you want Jeff!!! To which he replied, ahh yes.... that guy. "He never misses a show...he's just here along for the ride man." Very respectful audience though, and thats what youre gonna get without booze. No posters for this show yet, I guess they hadn't arrived via mail in time. There was an email waiting list, I forgot to sign up for that...so if someone can post here once they get word, much appreciated. Wanted to wait to mmet Jeff after the show, but it was much too windy & chilly outside and we figured that he might be more in a bit of a rush with being with the entire family. We'll give that another go on Valentine's Day.

if this one doesn't surface (it will, there were at least 2 tapers-however that's what I said about the albuquerque show and it still hasn't :ohwell ) I will be seriously bummed. It was one of those shows that blows you away so much that it needs at least 3 listens to absorb it all. Right down to the guy who requested Remember the Mountain Bed, got it, shouted out a thank you whnre it was through and got a you're welcome and thanks for the request from Jeff :D

Was that you KansaAl?

I requested One By One on wilcoworld, so felt very fortunate to hear that out of the gate.

Thank you very much for that! Couldn't believe he opened the show with it. Thanks for all the other fun memories posted "forgot about the-there's that guy comment" and Spencer messing with him on Hummingbird

I found this review of the show. I was on a computer at a coffee shop and can't remember the link though:

"Although Tweedy has long struggled with depression, anxiety, and self medication, he oft appeared to be in good spirits during a recent show in Champaign, IL. Fans continue to monitor Tweedy and are poised to spring into action at any sign of an oncoming episode of depression. Consider them the shepard's of the Wilco flock, if you will. Rest assured there will be various audio captures of this momentous performance. It was a one-of-a-kind evening. Never before has Jeff played this exact set list. It's almost like he plays different songs every night with exact precision to appease his following."

I'd also like to give a shout out to the weather. Hey there, weather. Goodness knows you and I have had our differences this winter, and I'm sure we still have a hard road ahead of us to rebuild the trust we once shared. But you really came through this weekend. Another few days like this over Valentine's weekend, and I may forgive you for December.

:lol

i got 3 calls from this show! a call from my pal courtney for "always in love", then both my home AND cell phones rang at the same time...renic and courtney both called me for "radio king." i held a phone up to each ear and listened in stereo! :music

sooooo beautiful! i could hear them cheering. a funny thing to be in my living room in l.a. but also in the foellinger. THANKS FRIENDS!! :wub